Value of: Sven Baertschi

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
This is going to be one of those threads where the OP has high expectations and will get mad at the answers he gets. Lol
not at all. I expect his value to be around what the Canucks to gave up for him years ago. I'd say thats pretty modest compared to a previous poster saying he has similar value to Nikita Soshnikov/Mark Letestu/Joe Morrow and less value than Frank Vatrano/Cooper Marody/Nick Holden

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
not at all. I expect his value to be around what the Canucks to gave up for him years ago. I'd say thats pretty modest compared to a previous poster saying he has similar value to Nikita Soshnikov/Mark Letestu/Joe Morrow and less value than Frank Vatrano/Cooper Marody/Nick Holden
I don’t know that Vancouver can get a 2nd back for him at this point. Yes. He’s more proven than when they traded for him. But he’s also an RFA now coming off of two injury riddled seasons. I’d think a 3rd or 4th seems more likely. But who am I to say

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Prepare to be disappointed. I'd take Sven on the Oilers, but I don't think I'd offer more than a mid round pick and a longshot prospect.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t know that Vancouver can get a 2nd back for him at this point. Yes. He’s more proven than when they traded for him. But he’s also an RFA now coming off of two injury riddled seasons. I’d think a 3rd or 4th seems more likely. But who am I to say
He played 68 games 2 seasons ago posting a career high 35 points. I wouldn't call that an injury riddled season. This year was hence why I say he was on pace for 45 points over the course of a 82 game season. I think he's a mid level 2nd line player who can avg 40-50 points a season. Catch is that he's inconsistent just like most 2nd line players. Hence why they are just that, 2nd line players.

Only reason I'm looking to move him is that we have a lot of younger players due to Benning trying to fill "the age gap". We have Virtanen/Pettersson/Gaudette/Dahlen who we are high on. Then to a lesser extent theres Goldobin who is what Baerstchi was when we acquired him. Last theres Leipsic who looked to mesh well with Horvat. Thats 8 players and then Boeser. 9 players to fill 6 roles. Granted Pettersson and Dahlen can be stashed in the AHL if they aren't ready yet, that still leaves 7 who require waivers. One has to go, Goldobin would be the ideal choice as its time for him to sink or swim like Baertschi did, but he holds much less value than Baertschi I assume so here we are.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He played 68 games 2 seasons ago posting a career high 35 points. I wouldn't call that an injury riddled season. This year was hence why I say he was on pace for 45 points over the course of a 82 game season. I think he's a mid level 2nd line player who can avg 40-50 points a season. Catch is that he's inconsistent just like most 2nd line players. Hence why they are just that, 2nd line players.

Only reason I'm looking to move him is that we have a lot of younger players due to Benning trying to fill "the age gap". We have Virtanen/Pettersson/Gaudette/Dahlen who we are high on. Then to a lesser extent theres Goldobin who is what Baerstchi was when we acquired him. Last theres Leipsic who looked to mesh well with Horvat. Thats 8 players and then Boeser. 9 players to fill 6 roles. Granted Pettersson and Dahlen can be stashed in the AHL if they aren't ready yet, that still leaves 7 who require waivers. One has to go, Goldobin would be the ideal choice as its time for him to sink or swim like Baertschi did, but he holds much less value than Baertschi I assume so here we are.
Missing 14 games 2 years ago is still almost 20% of the season. He doesn’t strike me as anything special. Most teams have a few players like him in their organization. I think a 2nd for him is a stretch

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'd say he is worth a 2nd rounder, or comparable prospect. He could very easily put up 20 goals and 40-50 points next year. I think I would rather keep him than trade him. The line of Boeser-Horvat-Baertschi looked very good until they each started to have injuries. I think he is worth hanging onto for a few more years, depending on his salary demand.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Baerstchi had an injury plagued year but was on pace for 45 points. He spent some time on the 4th line this season to give Goldobin a look in the top 6 and he still kept producing in a limited role

Injury plagued winger who was "on pace for 45 points"? Baertschi had full on second line minutes at just over 15min/game and 2min PP TOI/game. He is what he is. He's capable of putting up .5 ppg when he's given top 6 minutes. He doesn't contribute much else though.

If Baertschi was smart he would have worked on his two way game and found a role as a penalty killing tweener-type winger. In the Flames organization he refused to do any of that.

His value at this point is certainly not more than what the Canucks paid for him. You might be able to salvage a late 2nd/3rd from a team who sees a role for him.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
It’s funny, the common point people make towards Canuck players is their injury history, however, like i said yesterday,up until March 2017,out of the top 15 players who have missed the most time due to injury, and not one Canuck on there

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Injury plagued winger who was "on pace for 45 points"? Baertschi had full on second line minutes at just over 15min/game and 2min PP TOI/game. He is what he is. He's capable of putting up .5 ppg when he's given top 6 minutes. He doesn't contribute much else though.

If Baertschi was smart he would have worked on his two way game and found a role as a penalty killing tweener-type winger. In the Flames organization he refused to do any of that.

His value at this point is certainly not more than what the Canucks paid for him. You might be able to salvage a late 2nd/3rd from a team who sees a role for him.
I wouldn't call him injury plagued. 1 year where he missed more games than the avg player does not make a player injury plagued. 69/68 games the 2 prior seasons is pretty average. That would mean guys like Eichel/Krejici/Lindholm/Skinner and probably over half the league is injury plagued.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I think the target should be a team missing some middle 6 depth who could look to bolster their lineup with trade rather than UFA since they might not be a top choice and try and get 1 2nd round pick for both Granlund and Bae. Eliminate 2 contract spots for the Canucks to get better looks at younger players like Goldy or even Leipsic at this point who was a huge surprise in his compete level which rubbed off on his line mates. I’d much rather this type than the Granlund Bae types.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd give a 2nd or 3rd for him if he wanted to come back. Shift gaudreau or tkachuk to the rw. Fact is we need offense, and I think he'd fit the middle 6 really well.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ferland
Baertschi - backlund - tkachuk
Bennett - jankowski - frolik

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He should be worth a 2nd or so. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 50+ points in a healthy season. We are also desperate for young, high potential forwards.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I'd give a 2nd or 3rd for him if he wanted to come back. Shift gaudreau or tkachuk to the rw. Fact is we need offense, and I think he'd fit the middle 6 really well.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ferland
Baertschi - backlund - tkachuk
Bennett - jankowski - frolik
Would you guys be open to trading Bennett to another team to recoup that 2nd you'd give us? We can throw in another former Flame in Granlund for a 4th? He's progressed here into a 2way meh 3rd line winger. He could replace Bennett on that 3rd line.

Personally, I prefer Motte in the lineup over Granny. Granlund is bit better offensively and defensively, but Motte and Leipsic are the only players that had the speed and knowledge of how to forecheck and cause turnovers here and there. We have too many guys like Granny. Avg speed who do nothing well and score some non garbage goals. Granny has a decent shot he just needs time and space to get it off.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A few Edmonton fans have offered their 40th overall pick in other threads. If we get that for him, I'm happy.

I don't want him gone, but we could use the space for other players like Goldy or even Pettersson.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Sedinsquared

Apr 22, 2014
I think people overrate draft picks on here. I'd be surprised for Baertschi to not bring back a high 2nd rounder if he'd be traded, a team like Buffalo would definitely trade their 2nd to get some help in their top-9 on the wings.
Plus one, people are so negative on this board if it isn’t a top tier <24 year old. Sven is a definite top 9 forward with upside of being a top 6 staple.
I wouldn’t be happy with a Bearschi trade at this point in his career as someone pointed out above, he’s been pretty solid and has chemistry on.our team. Would much rather addition by subtraction this summer for Van dumping guys like Gaunce, Dowd, and packaging a couple guys for a potential upgrade or pick.

A second round pick would be bear minimum the return, quote me on that

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Very little, either a player in a similar situation or a 4th. There's most likely very little interest in him at this point.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Plus one, people are so negative on this board if it isn’t a top tier <24 year old. Sven is a definite top 9 forward with upside of being a top 6 staple.
I wouldn’t be happy with a Bearschi trade at this point in his career as someone pointed out above, he’s been pretty solid and has chemistry on.our team. Would much rather addition by subtraction this summer for Van dumping guys like Gaunce, Dowd, and packaging a couple guys for a potential upgrade or pick.

A second round pick would be bear minimum the return, quote me on that
Absolutely 100%. This boards love for picks is. ***** stupid.

Reactions: Sedinsquared

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad