Suter vs Phaneuf

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Out of these two top prospect defensemen, who do you think will have a better first year in the NHL?

My opinion: Suter. Calgary's defense seems really deep right now, and I dont think that Phaneuf will get as much of an oppertunity than Suter might on Nashville's D, which has a bit more room.

On top of that, Suter already has a year of AHL hockey under his belt, in which I hear he played very well. Despite appearing as a beast on defense, Phaneuf is yet to prove himself even a little bit at the pro level. I love Phaneuf, I think he'll be an excellent defensemen, but I think Suter will get a bit of a head start next season. What do you all think?

(woo. 100th post.)

Jessie Lumsden

Apr 7, 2005
I agree. I think that Phaneuf will play less than 35 games in the NHL this season due to the incredible depth of of Calgarys defence. However, in ten years Suter won't be fit to sharpen Dions skates. At that point, Phaneuf will have won at least one Norris trophy in my opinion.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
MattintheHatt said:
Out of these two top prospect defensemen, who do you think will have a better first year in the NHL?

My opinion: Suter. Calgary's defense seems really deep right now, and I dont think that Phaneuf will get as much of an oppertunity than Suter might on Nashville's D, which has a bit more room.

On top of that, Suter already has a year of AHL hockey under his belt, in which I hear he played very well. Despite appearing as a beast on defense, Phaneuf is yet to prove himself even a little bit at the pro level. I love Phaneuf, I think he'll be an excellent defensemen, but I think Suter will get a bit of a head start next season. What do you all think?

(woo. 100th post.)

Suter will probably be more successful...Phaneuf is a great junior player but I don't know if he will be a great pro player. He will surely be an above average D in the NHL but I think Suter is the best overall defenceman...

Just look at Mike Komisarek...he was a great overall D in junior and his offensive upside was there but even if he's still getting better in the NHL, I don't think he will be on the PP anytime soon...the same thing could happen with Phaneuf...

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Jessie Lumsden said:
I agree. I think that Phaneuf will play less than 35 games in the NHL this season due to the incredible depth of of Calgarys defence. However, in ten years Suter won't be fit to sharpen Dions skates. At that point, Phaneuf will have won at least one Norris trophy in my opinion.

way to show us your national pride ... jesus christ man, they're both going to be hell of defensemen in the future ... its just that Phaneuf will have Ramholt and Suter will have Hamhuis, Weber, Parent & Klein to play with ... I'll roll with Suter thanks

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
this one generally turns bloody...that said, allow me to post in it so i can keep an eye on it.

As stated above...if we're talking first years alone...Suter is probably the safer pick, simply because he did have that transition year in the AHL and he excelled in it. Phaneuf needs to get his feet wet, get comfortable(i hope for his sake it's in the AHL) and he'll be fine. I'm not getting into the "who will be better down the line" debate because it's been done to death.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Suter will have the better first year. Sutter has a year of pro under his belt because he was allowed to play pro, and Phaneuf might not even start in the NHL because of Calgary's depth in that position.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
nomorekids said:
this one generally turns bloody...that said, allow me to post in it so i can keep an eye on it.

As stated above...if we're talking first years alone...Suter is probably the safer pick, simply because he did have that transition year in the AHL and he excelled in it. Phaneuf needs to get his feet wet, get comfortable(i hope for his sake it's in the AHL) and he'll be fine. I'm not getting into the "who will be better down the line" debate because it's been done to death.

Yeah, I dont mean down the line, I just mean next year...I bet who will be the best has been just destroyed on here.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Seamus O' Toole said:
way to show us your national pride ... jesus christ man, they're both going to be hell of defensemen in the future ... its just that Phaneuf will have Ramholt and Suter will have Hamhuis, Weber, Parent & Klein to play with ... I'll roll with Suter thanks
What happened to Matt Pelech? And those couple young blueliners already on the Flames roster.. who are they.. what's their name.. oh Robyn Regehr and Jordan Leopold.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Seamus O' Toole said:

Right. You can't use current D prospect pools as a measure of what the teams defense will look like in the future.

Jessie Lumsden

Apr 7, 2005
"You can't use current D prospect pools as a measure of what the teams defense will look like in the future."

huh??

Suter will be better in the first year. Phaneuf better in the long run.

espo*

Chances are Suter will play a bigger role for Nashville this season then Phaneuf.However,if injuries crop up phaneuf may end up getting way more time then originally planned and that will even things up between them.Who knows?maybe Suter does'nt have a good first year and looks worse then Dion in his first year simply because he isn't quite capable of handling the minutes he does get while Dion looks more impressive simply because his minutes are more spoon fed and he is not put into too many situations he can't yet handle.

The more ice time thing could work against Suter rather then help him in regards to this debate.Of course,it's entirely possible Suter may have a real good year and can handle the minutes and thus upstages Phaneuf due to this reality.I'm quite certain from what i've seen that Dion is as good as Suter if not better but he may not have as impressive a year due to several factors.They are both damn fine young d-men however...........the shy's the limit for both of them really.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Jessie Lumsden said:
"You can't use current D prospect pools as a measure of what the teams defense will look like in the future."

huh??

Suter will be better in the first year. Phaneuf better in the long run.

Edit: NO read that wrong, I agree with your 'huh??'.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
While we're in a thread about Phaneuf........

Anyone have that gif. that's been floating around with Phaneuf "phaneufing" Olesz?

Thanks

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jessie Lumsden said:

Right......... :biglaugh: Phaneuf could very well be the better pro, but he'll never be that good.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Let me point out that Nashville defense isn't shabby either, we're not big bruisers but more mobile puck moving, Kimmo, Markov, Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Eaton and Suter isn't a shabby group. Some of these post act like we're still in the days of Berehowky, Delmore, Houlder, Hulse days.

We have a good group of guys that should excel with the new rules, plenty of two-way guys all that are good if not great skaters.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Right......... :biglaugh: Phaneuf could very well be the better pro, but he'll never be that good.

I love this quotes "he'll never be that good" and why is that? Is it because he was so average at Junior or WJC .....?

I also believe Phaneuf will spend time in AHL this year but I believe Suter will as well.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
flambers said:
I love this quotes "he'll never be that good" and why is that? Is it because he was so average at Junior or WJC .....?

I also believe Phaneuf will spend time in AHL this year but I believe Suter will as well.
I'll take the bet on Suter in the AHL this year..... I can almost promise it won't happen.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
triggrman said:
Let me point out that Nashville defense isn't shabby either, we're not big bruisers but more mobile puck moving, Kimmo, Markov, Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Eaton and Suter isn't a shabby group. Some of these post act like we're still in the days of Berehowky, Delmore, Houlder, Hulse days.

We have a good group of guys that should excel with the new rules, plenty of two-way guys all that are good if not great skaters.

Good post, your D is efficient and should make the transition easy for Suter. I believe Phaneuf has higher upside for the simple fact that he can dominate physically. I'd like to have either of them breaking into the line up this year. Suter this year and maybe next. :)

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
triggrman said:
I'll take the bet on Suter in the AHL this year..... I can almost promise it won't happen.

Okay you are on, I say he will spend time in AHL this season. I never said he will spend the full year in AHL. Its tough on a rookie Dman in the NHL, you see lots of these guys getting sent down from time to time.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Ok, how about avatars for a week.

Poile was on the radio yesterday talking about how Suter has more than likely played his last game in the AHL. He said Shea Weber and Klien would likely split time between the Predators and the Admirals.

Hamhuis and Suter played a full year together last season and excelled as a duo, they'll do the same this year in Nashville.

He played there all of last season and was ready to make the jump. He might be a healthy scratch for a game or too, but he's not going back to the AHL. I'd say there's a great chance of Shea Weber playing all of the season in the NHL than there is of Suter spending any time in the AHL.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
triggrman said:
Ok, how about avatars for a week.

Poile was on the radio yesterday talking about how Suter has more than likely played his last game in the AHL. He said Shea Weber and Klien would likely split time between the Predators and the Admirals.

Hamhuis and Suter played a full year together last season and excelled as a duo, they'll do the same this year in Nashville.

He played there all of last season and was ready to make the jump. He might be a healthy scratch for a game or too, but he's not going back to the AHL. I'd say there's a great chance of Shea Weber playing all of the season in the NHL than there is of Suter spending any time in the AHL.

I agree, Suter is a real good prospect but all it takes is one injury and bang he will go to AHL. I like Weber as well, the Predators have a good defense for sure.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Kaizer said:
I was impressed by Suter at WJC a bit more and that's why I would select him.

What ever.....who was the best Dman at WJC not Suter It was Phaneuf, I watched lots of games and Phaneuf was great.

Not to mention he was named the best dman at WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad