Suter signs with Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm saying he can play in the NHL right now, I agree, but you don't want to have him playing there right now, and ruin him in the long run.

Suter has the potential to be a very special player, Chris Chellios like with his uncles offensive abilities. But if you rush him and he's more worried about making mistakes then gradually devoloping his all around game....you might ruin his shot at being a difference maker, and I think if he is forced to devolope in the NHL/AHL it may hurt him in the long run.

If he is ready to play in the NHL right now, then why should he not at the least play at the AHL level? Is it good for him to flounder in a league that he is already better then, or learn to play at a higher level?

I'm not saying this is the case, but it doesn't make sense to say he could play in the NHL, yet it would hurt his development to play in the NHL or the NHL's minor league system....

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
But if you rush him and he's more worried about making mistakes then gradually devoloping his all around game....you might ruin his shot at being a difference maker, and I think if he is forced to devolope in the NHL/AHL it may hurt him in the long run.

He will be forced to develop only if the Preds want him to be forced. In Wisconsin, the Preds have no control over what goes on. In Milwaukee, the Preds will have complete control. If they want him to play 2 and sit 1 just to acclimate, he can. If they want him to get better at decision making, then they'll have complete control over his practice. If they think the AHL is too good (not bloody likely), then the ECHL might be an option.

He's following the same track that Hamhuis took. Poile thinks just as highly of Suter (if not higher) so there's no reason to think he won't be ready. Start him out on the second pairing and work him up. This way, if he shows he's ready for more, we can give it to him. You might stunt someone's growth by forcing them into situations they can't handle, but you can also stunt their growth by keeping them in a situation that's too easy for them. Not saying that NCAA is too easy for Suter, but there's a good chance it will be halfway through the season.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Enoch said:
If he is ready to play in the NHL right now, then why should he not at the least play at the AHL level? Is it good for him to flounder in a league that he is already better then, or learn to play at a higher level?

I'm not saying this is the case, but it doesn't make sense to say he could play in the NHL, yet it would hurt his development to play in the NHL or the NHL's minor league system....

Kings learned the hard way with the likes of Jaime Storr and Aki Berg, that if you rush them into the NHL and don't let them develop, you are taking a serious risk. Basically, do you want to see Suter as a #6/7 D-man on Nashville, or as a #1/2 on Milwakee for a season or two?

It's the same problem the Kings had with Brown last season. Sure, he could play at the NHL, and he did. The problem was, our roster was in the IR, and they let him play more than ten games, which counts as one year of his contract. He spent most of his time on the 3rd/4th line, when he would have been MUCH better off getting first line ice time in Guelph. And for the record, Brown wasn't eligible for Manchester because he was 19 and he had only spent 2 or 3 years with Guelph.

I'm glad the Kings are giving Tukonen AT LEAST one more year in Europe before they bring him over. Sure, he's NHL ready, but part of the idea of developing youth is to... well, let them develop.

X-SHARKIE

King'sPawn said:
Kings learned the hard way with the likes of Jaime Storr and Aki Berg, that if you rush them into the NHL and don't let them develop, you are taking a serious risk. Basically, do you want to see Suter as a #6/7 D-man on Nashville, or as a #1/2 on Milwakee for a season or two?

It's the same problem the Kings had with Brown last season. Sure, he could play at the NHL, and he did. The problem was, our roster was in the IR, and they let him play more than ten games, which counts as one year of his contract. He spent most of his time on the 3rd/4th line, when he would have been MUCH better off getting first line ice time in Guelph. And for the record, Brown wasn't eligible for Manchester because he was 19 and he had only spent 2 or 3 years with Guelph.

I'm glad the Kings are giving Tukonen AT LEAST one more year in Europe before they bring him over. Sure, he's NHL ready, but part of the idea of developing youth is to... well, let them develop.

:handclap: Thank you perfect points. All though I see the other side of the fence as well..so by no means am I saying it's devolope them slowly or the high way but especially with defenseman they should be taken along slowly.

Some times players can make the adjustment and it doesn't hurt them down the road, Joe Thornton strugled his first year but now look at him, Ovechkin should be in the NHL as soon as possible I believe.
I was happy that the Sharks signed Michalek, because he was asked to use his shot more, and play more offensive with the Sharks system, where as in the Czech elite league he was asked to be a shut down defensive winger, and at the same time glad they didn't sign Bernier because he needed to work on skating and defense along with consistancy. It really just goes by the player and situation.
THis may be in the best interest of Suter to sign for his devolopment, and we won't know for a long time, but watching him alot in Wisconsin this past year I think he should've stayed in Wisconsin for another year or two then make the jump.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
KP, you misunderstand me. I think its a good thing that he is signed because I feel he will learn a lot more in Milwaukee than he will in Wisconsin. I was just posing a question why it would be bad for him to develop in the AHL when he likely could play in the NHL (although at a lower ability level) as X-Sharkie claimed. Anyways, I think we are past that point, just thought I would clear up what i thought of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->