Suspension Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
Douggy said:
After reading this thread and the other officiating thread, I have to say the USA has some VERY inconsistant rules, or atleast they way they are being described seems inconsistant. :)

I wouldn't call the USA Hockey rulebook inconsistent. I would call the way the rules are applied as inconsistent. True, there will be inconsistencies whenever the human factor is applied. However, the problem I have is the discussions about whether the leagues or the associations overturn game misconducts that are assessed.

That being said, however, I do agree that USA officials seem to have a lot more discretion on assessing penalties. For example, I believe that any check from behind is a major + game misconduct in Canada, but we have more options. I could give somebody a minor, minor plus misconduct, major, major + game, or a match penalty.

Sometimes, more options create more confusion, (or what are perceived as inconsistencies), especially when there are different rulebooks involved.

When I officiate a game between a Canadian team and an American team, I almost always have to go over the differences in Canadian and American rules with the Canadian coach before a game begins. Not a big deal, it just gets a little redundant at times.

Daddy

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

WhoozYerrDaddy said:
I believe that any check from behind is a major + game misconduct in Canada

Close...Options for a CFB are..

2 + Game
5 + Game
Match

Any way you call it, the player is gone from the game if he is guilty of a CFB.

Spearing and Butt-Ending are other rules where our options are limited to a double minor (4:00) or a Match penalty.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
usa options on checking from behind:

minor plus a misconduct (it doesnt specify a ten minute, just says misconduct - i call it a ten)
major plus a game if : player is injured (required by the book to call it), player was shoved into the boards or goal frame head first (regardless of injury - also to be called regardless of refs opinion)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Van said:
Close...Options for a CFB are..

2 + Game
5 + Game
Match

Any way you call it, the player is gone from the game if he is guilty of a CFB.

Spearing and Butt-Ending are other rules where our options are limited to a double minor (4:00) or a Match penalty.

Wow..2 and a game for an open ice...checking from behind? Now thats what I call harash...the player could turn and the kid gets bumped from behind..falls down but no harm done..bam..game misconduct. I hope they dont have a automatic Game suspension with a Game misconduct in Canada..that would be way 2 harsh. Into the boards or goal frame though..yes should be game.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
BTW...I heard a rumor that New York State is thinking of using "FEDERATION" rules next season and getting rid of USA rules. That would be something...dont know federation rules that well but I know they have a seperate penalty for a late hit..which would be called A LOT...since most coaches tell there players to finish the check.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
bleedgreen said:

minor plus a misconduct (it doesnt specify a ten minute, just says misconduct - i call it a ten)
major plus a game if : player is injured (required by the book to call it), player was shoved into the boards or goal frame head first (regardless of injury - also to be called regardless of refs opinion)

It doesnt specify 10 minutes because in Mite and Squirt a misconduct is 7 1/2 minutes.

two out of three*

bleedgreen said:

I believe thats what they got me for. Because I hit him when he was facing me, but the angle of the hit I think put into the boards head first, so they called a major plus a game. I didn't mean to put his head into the boards, but thats what happened.

BCCHL inactive

bleedgreen said:

There is no official term "10 Minute Misconduct". In the book, it is a Misconduct, which carries a 10-minute penalty that does not make the team shorthanded.

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Wow..2 and a game for an open ice...checking from behind? Now thats what I call harash...the player could turn and the kid gets bumped from behind..falls down but no harm done..bam..game misconduct. I hope they dont have a automatic Game suspension with a Game misconduct in Canada..that would be way 2 harsh. Into the boards or goal frame though..yes should be game.

Up here, we don't differentiate open ice and on the boards when it comes to checking from behind. A CFB is a CFB. The onus has always been on the player delivering the hit to stop when he sees an opponent's back (all minor players in BC have stop signs on the back of their jerseys). Although I would like the power to assess an Unsportsmanlike minor or a dime (at my discretion) for those who turn their backs, a CFB is a CFB.

As for automatic suspensions, any Game Misconduct in the last 10 minutes of a game carries an automatic one-game suspension.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Van said:
There is no official term "10 Minute Misconduct". In the book, it is a Misconduct, which carries a 10-minute penalty that does not make the team shorthanded.
my fault, i just put it up without really looking at it. i thought it was saying a misconduct as in possibly an unsportsmanlike or a 10. i was looking for it to say 2 and a ten - and it only said misconduct - which confused my small ref brain. of course, im mostly blind anyway - dont know why im trying to read. ;)

FLYLine4LIFE said:
BTW...I heard a rumor that New York State is thinking of using "FEDERATION" rules next season and getting rid of USA rules. That would be something...dont know federation rules that well but I know they have a seperate penalty for a late hit..which would be called A LOT...since most coaches tell there players to finish the check.

Finishing your check and hitting late are two very different things.

I believe the STOP patches are throughout Canada Van. I know for a fact they are used here in Alberta. And a minor for deliberately turning your back to draw the big penalties would be very welcome around these parts.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Malefic74 said:
Finishing your check and hitting late are two very different things.

I believe the STOP patches are throughout Canada Van. I know for a fact they are used here in Alberta. And a minor for deliberately turning your back to draw the big penalties would be very welcome around these parts.

Very different things..not by a longshot. If the player passes the puck and the guy he passes it to recieves it..that player is no longer allowed to be checked...that could have been a 1 second pass...in that 1 second the player could have stopped. If he decides to "finish" his hit then he will recieve a penalty...there is no such thing as finishing your check in USA hockey and if you want to do that..then enjoy your many trips to the penalty box. Though it is rarely called unless its a good 2-3 seconds after the player gets rid of the puck..it is still a penalty.

Could you explain to me how..Finishing your check and hitting late are 2 very different things? This is puzzling me. If there is enough time for the player to stop when the player releases the puck then he is suppose to stop. So if hes 5 feet away then that would be PLENTY of time to stop...if he doesnt...finishes his hit..then its a late hit. (BTW this is all USA rules definitions)

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Could you explain to me how..Finishing your check and hitting late are 2 very different things? This is puzzling me. If there is enough time for the player to stop when the player releases the puck then he is suppose to stop. So if hes 5 feet away then that would be PLENTY of time to stop...if he doesnt...finishes his hit..then its a late hit. (BTW this is all USA rules definitions)

Up here, a player is in possession of the puck until somebody else gains possession and control (except goaltenders, who lose possession immediately when they get rid of the puck). Until then, he can be subject to a legal bodycheck. Of course, we can use our judgment for a blatantly late hit, but if a player already has the puck carrier lined up, as long as his check doesn't break any other rules, it's a legal play to finish the check.

Van said:
Up here, a player is in possession of the puck until somebody else gains possession and control (except goaltenders, who lose possession immediately when they get rid of the puck). Until then, he can be subject to a legal bodycheck. Of course, we can use our judgment for a blatantly late hit, but if a player already has the puck carrier lined up, as long as his check doesn't break any other rules, it's a legal play to finish the check.

Beat me to it. As a general rule refs I know generally say that an extra stride makes the call. The carrier has the puck and a defender is moving to hit them, the carrier then passes the puck off when the defender is within 5 - 10 feet. If the defender takes another stride and then hits the carrier, it's a late hit. If he continues into the carrier with momentum he already had it's finishing a check. They also say anything from more than 15 feet away is always ruled a late hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad