Suspected overpayment to Men's hockey players at DAL

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
You are foolish. They bought Sands nothing, he secured a mortgage with the help of probably his parents and he rented rooms to team mates and it had an apartment in the basement which he also rented to team mates. The rent paid for the house but you are more than willing to throw out that accusation and just let it hang out there, aren't you….without even knowing one thing other than you worked at the gas station across the road and the guys talked to you once and a while out of pity. Next time I'm at the Petro-Can I'll let you wash my windows.

A former shaved head goalie of yours had UNB "buy" him a house too, and a former Squirrel that now plays with the SF Bulls another house buy, and a D-Man that is now in Europe, a car and a house. And I can verify it just like you can. Not to mention the free golf at Kingswood, which if it is offered as an incentive for a player to come to UNB, is 100% ILLEGAL!!! SO WHY DON'T YOU SHUT THE **** UP???

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying judging by the way you went off on me. First off I said nothing about Jason Sands cause I didn't even know he even lived their, but it wasn't during the time I'm talking about, Ryan Locke and Brett Luke's were two of the guys living their, and it was their words not mine that said it was bought for the players. Maybe your right maybe in the past it was bought by Jason sands parents I have no idea nor do I care cause I wasn't accusing of anything I was simply stating I ran the business across the road it was the only residence situation I witnessed with my eyes cause other than that I know none of them or any UNB hockey player personally ever I'm just a fan of cis hockey and support both programs in my heart and attend games at both rinks since the early nineties.

Not sure what type of statement that is to make they only talked to me out of pity? It was my job back than to provide customer service to the public coming in the business and that included them as everyday paying customers, if your saying those stu players are bigger than life and more important than every other person coming in and I should have been honoured to have them let me speak to them, than I'm afraid you have issues. I go home at the end of the day and I am excited to see my wife and kids do you think I would be upset if they never spoke to me?

BTW STU Tommie's fan the Petro Can is closed has been for years, so we will have to meet up somewhere else, if that was a reference to say it was pathetic of me to run a local business in my mid twenties after I was done school, than I thank you for caring and the compliment not to mention lost all respect for you. Have no worries in my thirties now, and doing great putting my time in paid off and my family life is great. I don't have time for such a pathetic outburst from someone who knows nothing about me

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I may add it was highly successfully Scholten's family I worked for not the Petro Canada. So does this mean they owned the split entry across from the Petro as well? Or just The one across from Scholtens

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
the article is just pre contract negotiating rhetoric, but I do expect they will hire Gary Bettman to negotiate on behalf of the university.

Certainly not good news. I would expect do to the university not having a current arena and the trouble both hockey programs are currently dealing with that both the men's and woman's program being axed for good may not be out of the question. Lets hope not

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Faced with a shortfall like that, athletics is often the first item they look at. I suspect the arena issue, the women's program already dormant, and the black eye the men's program is giving the university will give them all the excuse they need to sharpen the axe.

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
11 days,1640 views,no CIS report made public yet!

The CIS report is slow to come and I.suspect that it won't come until the regular season is completed and Dal & STU are officially out of the AUS men's hockey playoff situation.

I also suspect that nothing more than a" phone poll" has been conducted by CIS of A/D's of the various schools which will form the basis of a "clean bill of health" report.

SUCH HYPOCRACY!

Speaking of only what I suspect and know,ANY objective ie independent of current A/D's would uncover OBSCENE expenditures .
For starters , one player who played only a handful full of games at STU over two.years,spending MOST of that time NOT dressing for whatever reason.

I do not believe that an objective,fact based investigation has been undertaken at STU and in fact I believe would unveil pertinent facts.

It continues to be strange that NO ATHLETIC Director has come forth with ANY Illuminating information.

I for one continue to impatiently wait for the.news.

RANTFATHER.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
You would have to expect that when the report does come out that there will be so much spin on it that it will have a vortex. Perhaps the hold up is finding the right PR firm capable of spreading it thick enough so no one can understand what was just said
and the end draft will appear like one of those government "freedom of information" reports with all the blackouts.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Much to the dismay of rantfather, the CIS does not have the money or the mandate to audit every hockey program in the country. As I have stated before, there is no requirement for any AD to come forward to say that their program is "clean". The CIS does not have to make their findings public under any timetable, either. I do agree with rantfather that the report will come out after Dal has been eliminated from the post-season. There is every possibility that part of the punishment will be exclusion from playoffs. Which will be a reality by then, but the CIS can look like they're being tough on crime.

I am one of those who believe that a lot of teams "bend" the rules with respect to perks given to players. But, these teams don't put it in writing in the players "contract", as appears to be the case at Dal.

All we can do is wait until the CIS sees fit to release their report.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
Spoke to CIS official this week who said it would be "toward the end of the month" by the time they revealed sanctions. With $17.5 mil shortfall, could be the excuse they need to chop both hockey programs....

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Wait for the facts

Everybody should just wait for the facts. I assume this is serious, and it will take as long as it takes.

As for cutting the program, that may not be the worst thing to happen. Sometimes schools are better off to have a few select programs, focus on those, do them well, and not attempt the rest. Without Dalhousie, the AUS still has nearby Saint Mary's. The only area without a team right now is Newfoundland. Otherwise the country is covered. (Outside of Atlantic Canada, Hamilton and Quebec City could use teams and perhaps a French team in Montreal. But that's outside of this discussion.)

And how do we know that cutting the program is being considered? Usually advance notice is given so that potential benefactors can come forward.

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
MORE than NON NEWS!

Very interesting comments re current situation with Men's Hockey at Dal.

Irregularities re compensation and the suggestion that Pete Belliveau employment status at Dal is NOT necessarily connected to this issue.

A good lawyer,specializing in unjust dismissal law, should have LOTS of fun with this one .

I anxiously await "full disclosure" on this matter.

RANTFATHER :yo::yo::yo:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm not convinced that Pete was let go for any other reason other than the payments. It is a typical response to not link one event with another especially when the facts are not made public. The longer this thing drags out, the more people will forget about it. That is the master plan......

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Dal is a business school and the only place where you find more BS would be from the Political Scientists at UOttawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->