TV: Survivor: Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Discussion

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
This season has been pretty boring thus far. They're not a very likeable cast, or good at playing the game...so far at least.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I guess he could have really f***ed them if he wanted to and told them to rebuild the whole thing. But he probably didn't notice all the blocks werent there when they started so he messed up to so he wasn't going to screw them completely over.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
These are bad players who are overly emotional

That could make this either REALLY good,or a really bad year.

Last edited:

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Terrible gameplay, why not all agree to vote out Devon? Vote Devon or draw rocks, easy decision.

Even if Ashley & Alan didn't agree initially, if both healers vote for Devon, the heroes would have switched their votes at the revote.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Not much of a game of Survivor when everything is twists and advantages. Probst put it best at the end of Tribal. You can blah, blah, blah but the Survivor Gods (Producers) decide.

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
Not much of a game of Survivor when everything is twists and advantages. Probst put it best at the end of Tribal. You can blah, blah, blah but the Survivor Gods (Producers) decide.

Dev would have voted for Joe anyways so it's not like the advantage actually made a difference.

I wonder if the idol is in similar spots at all 3 camps?
Joe would have the inside track at another one

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I didn't understand the play of that advantage for Jessica. The edit of course may be wrong, but she says she wants to help the Healers. If that was actually the case blocking Devon's vote made no sense. There were 3 reasonable scenarios. Devon was teaming up with the Healers to vote out a Hero. Devon was teaming up with the Heroes to vote out a Healer. Or the 4 were teaming up to vote out Devon. If you block a Hero vote then the Healers are safe in 2 scenarios(3 to 1 votes) with a 2 to 2 tie in the case that Devon and the Heroes are teaming up to vote out a Healer. By blocking Devon's vote the Healers will only be safe if they're teaming up with the Heroes to vote out Devon(in which case they'd be safe regardless of the advantage), by blocking Devon's vote you're creating a 2 to 2 tie in the case that Devon was teaming up with the Heroes. Blocking Devon's vote prevented the Healers from potentially using him as a swing vote for them had that been the plan. Essentially screwing over the Healers. Blocking Devon had no benefit that blocking say Alan wouldn't have had, but it did have a potential drawback.

Blocking a Hero vote was the smart play there if they wanted to help their fellow Healers. Assuming the edit was right in that Devon was going to vote with the Heroes(given the episode 1 edit this isn't a guarentee) then it didn't matter, Joe would have had to play his idol anyway but still confusing advantage useage.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Terrible gameplay, why not all agree to vote out Devon? Vote Devon or draw rocks, easy decision.

Even if Ashley & Alan didn't agree initially, if both healers vote for Devon, the heroes would have switched their votes at the revote.

Revotes are back this season, so had they voted for Devon and not played the idol Devon and Joe would have 2 votes each and not been allowed to revote, Alan, Ashley, and Desi would have revoted and that's an easy 2 to 1 vote to vote out Joe

Reactions: Gains

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i felt like they were not thinking it through. Alan did brought up the Idol talk, but obviously there was zero strategy.
fun episode in the way i finally cared a little bit about the result. it hasnt been the case until now.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
I didn't understand the play of that advantage for Jessica. The edit of course may be wrong, but she says she wants to help the Healers. If that was actually the case blocking Devon's vote made no sense. There were 3 reasonable scenarios. Devon was teaming up with the Healers to vote out a Hero. Devon was teaming up with the Heroes to vote out a Healer. Or the 4 were teaming up to vote out Devon. If you block a Hero vote then the Healers are safe in 2 scenarios(3 to 1 votes) with a 2 to 2 tie in the case that Devon and the Heroes are teaming up to vote out a Healer. By blocking Devon's vote the Healers will only be safe if they're teaming up with the Heroes to vote out Devon(in which case they'd be safe regardless of the advantage), by blocking Devon's vote you're creating a 2 to 2 tie in the case that Devon was teaming up with the Heroes. Blocking Devon's vote prevented the Healers from potentially using him as a swing vote for them had that been the plan. Essentially screwing over the Healers. Blocking Devon had no benefit that blocking say Alan wouldn't have had, but it did have a potential drawback.

Blocking a Hero vote was the smart play there if they wanted to help their fellow Healers. Assuming the edit was right in that Devon was going to vote with the Heroes(given the episode 1 edit this isn't a guarentee) then it didn't matter, Joe would have had to play his idol anyway but still confusing advantage useage.

Maybe she wanted to flush Joe's idol too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe she wanted to flush Joe's idol too.

That could be a possibility for sure. it's just hard to see what actually happens when they push the edit 1 way in hindsight knowing the result, trying to get the best suspense. All we heard for Jessica's reasoning was "I want to help the Healers", she could have followed that up with a whole bunch of other logic, but that's the line they wanted us to hear. Knowing that it came to 2 to 2 and Joe played his idol correctly they show that line instead, and played out the how the advantage blocked us into a tie and will Joe play the idol correctly angle rather than getting into the placement of the advantage angle since it didn't make any difference int he end.

Of course we're never going to get the full story, just looking back to the first episode is proof of that. Where Chrissy was more in with the group and wanted Katrina out, we got more of the which older person are they going to throw their votes on and will Crissy protect Katrina with the idol instead of the real angle that was happening. I just wish they'd give us a little more glimpse into the actual logic there from Jessica instead of the 1 liner of logic followed by advantage usage that didn't follow that logic much at all.

That was a tough advantage to play if she wanted to flush the idol but keep the Healers safe though. You force the obvious 2 to 2 tie by blocking Devon's vote and there's no guarantee Joe plays the idol right either. Wouldn't shock me in the least if she wanted Joe gone completely, and "protecting the Healers" was protecting the other Healers from Joe later int he game or something who knows. Hope we get exactly what the logic was there later in the season from exit interviews when she gets voted out or at the finale if she's in it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I really hate this trend of advantages that HAVE to be used at a specific Tribal Council.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Given the fact that Roark barely existed until this episode, while Chrissy's received a lot of screentime so far, I'm thinking that Roark's a goner.

Edit: Yep.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff and Gains

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
What is it with bald guys finding multiple idols on this show?

Joe, Tony, David, Russell, Jeremy, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad