Supposed 1st line NHL prospect sent down to AHL !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Wiz

Apr 6, 2003
nova scotia
Visit site
And that would be ...Ryan Bayda the LW from Carolina Hurricanes, would everyone on these boards said would be playing on the 1st line with Francis and O'Neill !!!!

So what's up with that ??? How wrong we all were !

He had over a 1/2 point per game in ther NHL last year. What's so bad about that ?

He's been sent down for "seasoning", does that mean he'll be in the AHL all year long ????

The_Wiz said:
And that would be ...Ryan Bayda the LW from Carolina Hurricanes, would everyone on these boards said would be playing on the 1st line with Francis and O'Neill !!!!

So what's up with that ??? How wrong we all were !

He had over a 1/2 point per game in ther NHL last year. What's so bad about that ?

He's been sent down for "seasoning", does that mean he'll be in the AHL all year long ????

I'm not sure if anyone actually said that Bayda was a first line prospect, just that he was a prospect who last year played on the first line; do you follow?
As HF says in their own prospect scouting report, and as fans of UND will probably tell you, Bayda doesn't own a whole bunch of top-end talent, and projects more to be a third-line grinder than anything.
Bayda played with O'Neill and Francis most likely because there was no one else to do it. At the time that Bayda was called up, Erik Cole and Rod Brind'Amour were already done for the season, and that only left Jan Hlavac as the only real competion along the left side. Desperation more than necessity really.
With Brind'Amour and Cole healthy now, and the idea bouncing around that Staal would probably play with Francis and O'Neill, that left Bayda out of the numbers game. Of course, I didn't watch or really hear anything out of the 'Canes camp, so Bayda could have had an atrocious camp (he's still only 5-11 and 185).

Skydog

Dec 9, 2002
Cincinnati
Visit site
Kubina_Fan said:
I'm not sure if anyone actually said that Bayda was a first line prospect, just that he was a prospect who last year played on the first line; do you follow?
As HF says in their own prospect scouting report, and as fans of UND will probably tell you, Bayda doesn't own a whole bunch of top-end talent, and projects more to be a third-line grinder than anything.
Bayda played with O'Neill and Francis most likely because there was no one else to do it. At the time that Bayda was called up, Erik Cole and Rod Brind'Amour were already done for the season, and that only left Jan Hlavac as the only real competion along the left side. Desperation more than necessity really.
With Brind'Amour and Cole healthy now, and the idea bouncing around that Staal would probably play with Francis and O'Neill, that left Bayda out of the numbers game. Of course, I didn't watch or really hear anything out of the 'Canes camp, so Bayda could have had an atrocious camp (he's still only 5-11 and 185).

This is a very good account of what has happened. Jim Rutherford supposedly (I didn't hear it but heard about it) said on a radio interview this afternoon that he expected Staal to be the #1 center. Bayda was a victim of the numbers game and more than likely would be the first one called up if an opportunity arose.

uzziman

Nov 6, 2002
Abby
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea who Ryan Bayda is, and have nerver before heard his name, so to say that everyone said he was a 1st line prospect is a bit of an exaggeration.

#37-#93-#27*

I have never heard of this guy. I think first line prospect is a stretch.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
#37-#93-#27 said:
I have never heard of this guy. I think first line prospect is a stretch.

http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/18-392129.html

It has been suggested in media several times that Bayda had the possibility to play on the top line and I remember Ron Francis as quoted as saying that Bayda was "one of the smartest young players he has seen in a very long time."

Your and others lack of knowledge of Ryan Bayda is more than likely a representation of indifference for Carolina than his quality of play. (We generally know less about prospects from teams we care very little about.) And don't take it as a shot, that is just the way it is.

P.S I didn't have a clue who Tomas Fleischman(Tied for leading scorer in the WHL) was until I looked him up today. ;)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Bayda is a good prospect...I could see him as a poor-man's second line winger or a very nice 3rd liner with some offensive upside.

He had a pretty darn solid run in the NHL last year and I think the fact that he plays for Carolina has a lot to do with why nobody seems to know about him. If he played for Colorado or Detroit or Ottawa, you'd probably be sick of hearing about him by now.

He'll be back - I was impressed with him when I saw him last season.

(Yeah...what Slats said :))

#37-#93-#27*

slats432 said:
http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/18-392129.html

It has been suggested in media several times that Bayda had the possibility to play on the top line and I remember Ron Francis as quoted as saying that Bayda was "one of the smartest young players he has seen in a very long time."

Your and others lack of knowledge of Ryan Bayda is more than likely a representation of indifference for Carolina than his quality of play. (We generally know less about prospects from teams we care very little about.) And don't take it as a shot, that is just the way it is.

P.S I didn't have a clue who Tomas Fleischman(Tied for leading scorer in the WHL) was until I looked him up today. ;)
I'm sure if his potential was a first line player which implies he'd be a star, I would know who he is and there would be some hype about him.

mowthecat

#37-#93-#27 said:
I'm sure if his potential was a first line player which implies he'd be a star, I would know who he is and there would be some hype about him.

Sorry man but you dont have to be a guy who follows prospects to the nth to know who Bayda is. He's been on the radar beter than a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->