Super Early 2008 Top 10

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
Can anyone give some analysis on Mark Cundari for the 08 draft. Was the backbone of the defense for Windsor. I know he is small, but he hits like a truck.

pouskin74*

1.filatov
2. stamkos
3. doughty
4. hodgon
5. petrov
6. jenks
7. arniel
8. baiely
9. motin
10. voinov

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone give some analysis on Mark Cundari for the 08 draft. Was the backbone of the defense for Windsor. I know he is small, but he hits like a truck.

Mean little fire hydrant (5'9") who's been the same size since peewee. At that size, not enough offense for any NHL upside, plus his style and willingness would get him killed. Think a less mobile, more tank-like Kasparaitis. Will be a fun guy to watch for four more years in the OHL.

Junius

May 17, 2007
Vancouver
I still think Kyle Beach should be there somewhere...though I'm not sure who I'd bump? There's a few very good guys in the top-20ish next year that's for sure.

Kyle Beach would be top 5.

May also consider Guelph Goalie Thomas McCollum, Swedish LW Michael Bodker and USNDP Center Colin Wilson.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Kyle Beach would be top 5.

May also consider Guelph Goalie Thomas McCollum, Swedish LW Michael Bodker and USNDP Center Colin Wilson.

i am one of the very feaw guys that has mccollum in the top 10 in this thread:)

tms23

Dec 28, 2006
does any body know much about german prospect jerome flaake? he hasn't been mentioned much. He had a pretty good u-18 champtionship by the looks of his stats, 6 gp, 4g, 2A, +1 and 29 shots on net, he also led the dnl in scoring. I have never seen him play, so i was wondering if anyone who has seen him play can comment on him

Weltsky

Sep 21, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
I agree with the earlier poster who mentioned that Boychuk was a tank. I have watched him for almost two seasons now here in lethbridge, and he defiantely makes up for his smaller body. He works in the corners and protectx the puck very well. Would love to see him picked by the sharks (hopefully late;)) in the first round.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
does any body know much about german prospect jerome flaake? he hasn't been mentioned much. He had a pretty good u-18 champtionship by the looks of his stats, 6 gp, 4g, 2A, +1 and 29 shots on net, he also led the dnl in scoring. I have never seen him play, so i was wondering if anyone who has seen him play can comment on him

the DNL. is that like the third best league in germany or something???

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
not for me . i expect a lot from filatov especially after that how he peform on junior world championship

another guy here who has very good knowledge on russian players said petrov was the best of the two. personally i have no idea yet, i only noticed filatov at the U-18's.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
I believe that Doughty will still be a top 3 pick in '08, Stamkos, Hayes & Pietrangelo will be top 10 picks. I too forecast that a lot of D-men will go in round #1 next year, much moreso that this draft.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Actually, I fully expect to be questioned for having Del Zotto behind Hodgson and Bogosian, and some will even question him being behind Pietrangelo.

I've said it before on this board. I've been watching Del Zotto for 4 years. He has marvellous offensive instincts and talents, including one of the best point shots I've ever seen on a 16-year-old. The big BUT, though, is he is atrocious in his own end. Not "okay", not "needs work"... atrocious. Worse, he did not improve defensively one iota this past season. You could almost sense the bigger Belleville forwards perk up and start licking their chops when Del Zotto came over the boards in their 2nd round playoff series.

I don't have him as high as some people who just look at his offensive stats, because unless he improves his defensive play dramatically, he will struggle in the American League, let alone the NHL.

That's a nice OHL list you put together for next year and there is no doubt it is a really deep year for the OHL as far as prospects go.
However you just hammer Del Zotto and make him sound like a 8th rounder. Those Bulls forwards must have been licking their chops half the time because Del Zotto played about thirty minutes per game.
If he is atrocious how would you describe the rest of D including a guy like James DeLory who has been drafted. IMO DeLory's D would be considered atrocious. In fact the Generals as a whole were a atrocious defensive team and Del Zotto was way overplayed to try make up for it.

At sixteen Del Zotto came in and was used like Pronger is. IMO DeL Zotto is way ahead of guys like Brian Alllen (who went fourth) Jeff Ware (1st round) and Paul Ranger (2nd round) at 16 years old.
Another poster mentions him being walked around constantly. I couldn't disagree more and found him to be one of the best 16 D I've seen one on one.He has quick feet and exceptional lateral movement. IMO opinion you way overstate him as a defensive liability.
But hey time will tell. I however will go out on a limb right now and say Del Zotto will play in the NHL. In the meantime next year is going to be a very interesting year in rankings of the bumper crop OHL DEFENSEMAN PROSPECTS. No slight to OHL forwards intended.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Juan, I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.

It's difficult to trust an opinion when the person offering it has no direct experience with the subject the are commenting on. If I'm looking to buy a new car, a Ford Explorer for example, I'd like to hear from people who have actually driven one. There is no value in hearing an opinion on the merits of the Ford Explorer, good or bad, from a guy who drives an Escalade and has never driven the Explorer.

Similarly, in the scouting business, credibility is quickly compromised when one continues to offer opinions and rankings on a player or players they have never seen. It's far too easy to type a bunch of names on a computer screen and state that this is how the players should be ranked (imo) without having any direct experience with the player. If you haven't seen a player and you offer an opinion or ranking on the player, at least have the balls to state why you feel that way. Your opinion or ranking may be based on the country the player was born in, the fact that he's a buddy of yours, or that your buddy saw him and says he's a good player, but don't pretend to be an expert on something you have no direct experience with.

I agree with your opinion on many of the players you have listed. Like you, I like Bogosian and was really impressed with what I saw from him this season. I, too, have grave concerns about Del Zotto's play on the D side of the puck. I was there the night he was a -6 againt Mississauga and the night he got walked around 4 times in Peterborough. He has outstanding offensive skills but needs to learn to play the game without the puck. Sadly I don't think he'll learn that from the coaching staff in Oshawa and if I'm his agent I'm looking to get him out of there quickly. From your perspective, is Del Zotto not interested in learning the defensive side of the game (coachability) or simply not capable of doing it (lack of ability)?

Where do you see Cuma, Gaulton, Dorazio, and Lalonde fitting into your OHL list?

Get him out of there quickly? Above you state "don't pretend to be an expert on something you have no direct experience with".
I assume you must have some insight to back up what I would call a very harsh move. If so I'd like to hear it.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Get him out of there quickly? Above you state "don't pretend to be an expert on something you have no direct experience with".
I assume you must have some insight to back up what I would call a very harsh move. If so I'd like to hear it.

Yes I do have some insight and as an Oshawa native who seems to be a Generals fan I'm sure you are well aware of the issues relating to both the management and coaching staff of the Generals.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
That's a nice OHL list you put together for next year and there is no doubt it is a really deep year for the OHL as far as prospects go.
However you just hammer Del Zotto and make him sound like a 8th rounder. Those Bulls forwards must have been licking their chops half the time because Del Zotto played about thirty minutes per game.
If he is atrocious how would you describe the rest of D including a guy like James DeLory who has been drafted. IMO DeLory's D would be considered atrocious. In fact the Generals as a whole were a atrocious defensive team and Del Zotto was way overplayed to try make up for it.

At sixteen Del Zotto came in and was used like Pronger is. IMO DeL Zotto is way ahead of guys like Brian Alllen (who went fourth) Jeff Ware (1st round) and Paul Ranger (2nd round) at 16 years old.
Another poster mentions him being walked around constantly. I couldn't disagree more and found him to be one of the best 16 D I've seen one on one.He has quick feet and exceptional lateral movement. IMO opinion you way overstate him as a defensive liability.
But hey time will tell. I however will go out on a limb right now and say Del Zotto will play in the NHL. In the meantime next year is going to be a very interesting year in rankings of the bumper crop OHL DEFENSEMAN PROSPECTS. No slight to OHL forwards intended.

Del Zotto, Aston, Regan and DeLory got about 90% of the ice time on the Gens' back end during the playoffs. They are all horrendous defensively, with Aston being the best of a bad lot. As for DeLory being drafted, no way he ever plays even in the American League. I agree with you 100% that Del Zotto was overplayed. But that was part of the problem, as it made him look frazzled and his defensive play even worse.

As for the ex-Gens, if you're saying that Del Zotto is ahead of Allen, Ware and Ranger defensively at 16 years old, you're dead wrong. I think you're being seduced by his offensive prowess, as are a lot of people putting together lists for 2008.

As for him playing in the NHL, right now Del Zotto has NHL All-Star caliber offensive skills and CIS caliber defensive skills. What that gets you, I'm not sure. Andy Delmore?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
another guy here who has very good knowledge on russian players said petrov was the best of the two. personally i have no idea yet, i only noticed filatov at the U-18's.

Filatov had a great U-18 but Petrov has always been better. If I remeber correctly, I think Petrov was playing injured at the U-18.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
D'Orazio I always really liked for his toughness and mean streak, which he loves to bring against the other team's top forwards. He should get a lot of ice next season given the graduations and forthcoming trades from Owen Sound's blueline. If his physical size (bulk) reaches the "size he plays" and he can show some of the offense that he had in minor hockey, I can see him being a 2nd round NHL pick. Style comparison: think a poor man's Chelios.

Being a season ticket holder for the Attack, and going to every home game save 2 or 3 when I'm away, I totally agree. He was the lone brightspot on a defensive corps that struggled without former Max Kaminsky award winner Andrej Sekera. He was very underused this season (Mike Stothers reminds me of Pat Quinn in terms of favouring older players, except he played a seriously short bench), but when he was on the ice and in games he was composed and played very well. If players were drafted based on defense, he would have been picked half the draft ahead of Sanguinetti in 06... Although, Sanguinetti played very well in the AHL and I'm looking forward to seeing if he improved as much as I've heard but that's not the point... Since we have a brutal GM in Micheal Futa (who is now reportedly leaving thank goodness), who traded away numerous picks, and quality players for short term upgrades (like Phil Oreskevic and Anthony Guadagnolo per say), and thinking that Kana was really going to come the 3rd time around, the Attack will probably be brutal next season save some more great signings like Trevor Lewis, Sanguinetti being a total beast on the blueline, Wayne Simmonds having 100+ points (which he's not capable of), and a real OHL goalie that isn't overage... Hopefully D'Orazio really gets a chance to show his stuff because I like what he's got. Although I'm not sure scouts are too high on him (less extreme situation of Jared Staal), and so maybe a 2nd Round Pick is a little too high yet, but his talent and performance next season could certainly warrant that.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Del Zotto, Aston, Regan and DeLory got about 90% of the ice time on the Gens' back end during the playoffs. They are all horrendous defensively, with Aston being the best of a bad lot. As for DeLory being drafted, no way he ever plays even in the American League. I agree with you 100% that Del Zotto was overplayed. But that was part of the problem, as it made him look frazzled and his defensive play even worse.

As for the ex-Gens, if you're saying that Del Zotto is ahead of Allen, Ware and Ranger defensively at 16 years old, you're dead wrong. I think you're being seduced by his offensive prowess, as are a lot of people putting together lists for 2008.

As for him playing in the NHL, right now Del Zotto has NHL All-Star caliber offensive skills and CIS caliber defensive skills. What that gets you, I'm not sure. Andy Delmore?
As for his D and your analysis of the others I mentioned we will have to agree to disagree for now and let time tell.

As far as lists go .....I'm not in any position to and agree 100% on what you said earlier on people putting together lists for guys they have not even seen. You don't see me disagreeing on your OHL list because I really only get to see the half the league on a regular basis. Offensive prowess aside I'm saying based on what I have observed in the way of 16 year old hockey players over a bunch of years , Del Zotto goes to the NHL.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Yes I do have some insight and as an Oshawa native who seems to be a Generals fan I'm sure you are well aware of the issues relating to both the management and coaching staff of the Generals.

Fair enough....if you wish to PM me some insight great....if not (cause you don't know me from Adam) that's fine too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad