Super Early 2008 Top 10

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I don't know all that much about prospects beyond this year but I'm curious as to who people think the top 10 prospects are for next years draft. Here's my top 10:

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Drew Doughty
3) Jimmy Hayes
4) Alex Pietrangelo
5) Michael Del Zotto
6) Colton Teubert
7) Yann Sauve
8) Zach Boychuk
9) Cory Hodgson
10) Patrice Cormier

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't know all that much about prospects beyond this year but I'm curious as to who people think the top 10 prospects are for next years draft. Here's my top 10:

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Drew Doughty
3) Jimmy Hayes
4) Alex Pietrangelo
5) Michael Del Zotto
6) Colton Teubert
7) Yann Sauve
8) Zach Boychuk
9) Cory Hodgson
10) Patrice Cormier

I still think Kyle Beach should be there somewhere...though I'm not sure who I'd bump? There's a few very good guys in the top-20ish next year that's for sure.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Drew Doughty
3) Jimmy Hayes
4) Alex Pietrangelo
5) Michael Del Zotto
6) Colton Teubert
7) Yann Sauve
8) Zach Boychuk
9) Cory Hodgson
10) Patrice Cormier

I don't know anything about next years draftees either, but looking at last years and this draft:

In 2005, Phil Kessel was a clear cut #1 for 2006, Erik Johnson wasn't on any top ten. In the fall, ISS had David Ruzicka and one other guy in the top 15 that wasn't even drafted (know ruzicka wasn't, pretty sure there was another one, too).

Last year, Espo was a lock for #1, Backlund was by some more thought of than Backstrom, and Llewellyn was supposed to be a high draft pick. Egor Avelin was one of the highest ranked russian.

Whatever lists come up now, will change ALOT in a year, which really is only natural considering these people's age. Just don't know how 16-17 year olds will develop.

Just to throw some gasolin on the fire: I predict two or more of the above mentioned players will not be selected in the first round. Who? I have absolutely no idea!

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I don't know anything about next years draftees either, but looking at last years and this draft:

In 2005, Phil Kessel was a clear cut #1 for 2006, Erik Johnson wasn't on any top ten. In the fall, ISS had David Ruzicka and one other guy in the top 15 that wasn't even drafted (know ruzicka wasn't, pretty sure there was another one, too).

Last year, Espo was a lock for #1, Backlund was by some more thought of than Backstrom, and Llewellyn was supposed to be a high draft pick. Egor Avelin was one of the highest ranked russian.

Whatever lists come up now, will change ALOT in a year, which really is only natural considering these people's age. Just don't know how 16-17 year olds will develop.

Just to throw some gasolin on the fire: I predict two or more of the above mentioned players will not be selected in the first round. Who? I have absolutely no idea!

Yeah, I know, it's just fun to take a look. To be fair Esposito has kind of always had character questions where as (if I'm not mistaken) none of the top players next year really have those problems.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I don't know of any substance to the old notion that Esposito has character problems. It's true that he was criticized earlier for holding on to the puck too much and not using his teammates so well but that is not a "character" issue.

He was captain of the U18 team and is interested in entering medical school- hardly indicative of a character problem. I think this, along with the idea that Cherepanov is a coach-killer, are unfounded rumours or individual opinions that don't have widespread merit.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
My personal list probably wouldn't include Cormier in the top 10 right now; he's got a lot to work on, though so far he seems balanced in everything except for speed which is below par. However, I fully expect him to be right up where he belongs near the top players by the draft.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Sorry quick question to the people who know about it, is there any erly players that can be deemed 'Franchise player' in this draft??

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Drew Doughty
3) Jimmy Hayes
4) Alex Pietrangelo
5) Michael Del Zotto
6) Colton Teubert
7) Yann Sauve
8) Zach Boychuk
9) Cory Hodgson
10) Patrice Cormier

IMO this is my list of top 10 guys so far...

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Jimmy Hayes
3) Drew Doughty
4) Colton Tuebert
5) Mitch Wahl
6) Kyle Beach
7) Alex Pietrangelo
8) Michael Del Zotto
9) Colin Wilson
10) Phil McRae

I was pretty high on Tuebert, but I have seen the light on Doughty..he is gonna be a good one. A lot of talent up here, players can swap out pretty easy this early on. Filatov and Bogosian can make some serious arguments for top 10 also. Already looking like a pretty solid first round.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Jimmy Hayes
3) Drew Doughty
4) Colton Tuebert
5) Mitch Wahl
6) Kyle Beach
7) Alex Pietrangelo
8) Michael Del Zotto
9) Colin Wilson
10) Phil McRae

I was pretty high on Tuebert, but I have seen the light on Doughty..he is gonna be a good one. A lot of talent up here, players can swap out pretty easy this early on. Filatov and Bogosian can make some serious arguments for top 10 also. Already looking like a pretty solid first round.

Phil McRae over Cody Hodgson. Hilarious.

What glimpse of anything has McRae shown in the past two seasons to make you rank him anywhere near the top 10?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
From the WHL, Beach and Teubert have to be top-10. Beach is the best PF prospect to come along since the 1995 draft, and I'd think long and hard about taking him #1 overall in this year's draft if he was eligible. I don't know how he couldn't be top-3 for 2008 right now.

Luke Schenn and Mitch Wall are probably 10-20 overall guys right now, and there are a bunch more who could challenge for the first round when all is said and done. Tyler Myers is an octopus who is already 6'6 at age 16, and has a shockingly high skill level - he'll be a huge riser if he continues to round out his game.

Zach Boychuk put up huge numbers this year, but he's tiny and will probably end up being 3rd-round material.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Drew Doughty
3) Jimmy Hayes
4) Alex Pietrangelo
5) Michael Del Zotto
6) Colton Teubert
7) Yann Sauve
8) Zach Boychuk
9) Cory Hodgson
10) Patrice Cormier

Well Ithere's always a problem with lists like that.

No Euros in TOP 10? I think that Petrov, Roth, Filatov, Gustafsson, Bodker, Motin all can be in TOP 10 right now.

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Drew Doughty
3) Jimmy Hayes
4) Alex Pietrangelo
5) Michael Del Zotto
6) Colton Teubert
7) Yann Sauve
8) Zach Boychuk
9) Cory Hodgson
10) Patrice Cormier

IMO, Cormier is not top 10 player.

Really like Pietrangelo though.

Sauve should be safe too. The D on SJ is young, hopefully they'll add some experience.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia

1) Steven Stamkos
2) Jimmy Hayes
3) Drew Doughty
4) Colton Tuebert
5) Mitch Wahl
6) Kyle Beach
7) Alex Pietrangelo
8) Michael Del Zotto
9) Colin Wilson
10) Phil McRae

i think mcrae will have a big year too. however, you cant rank him close to the top 10 now. i know the draft is based on potential, but theres also a big aspect of that has to be proven on the ice. he didnt do much last year, he didnt get much quality time, and i think he will improve alot this year. that being said, in may of 2007, hes not a 1st rounder, in june 2008 he could be a top 10 pick.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Some other guys to keep an eye on though definately not top ten considerations right now:

Tyler Schmidt - Tri-City Americans (WHL)
Thomas Nesbitt - Ottawa 67's - (OHL)
Joel Broda - Tri-City Americans (WHL)

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Sorry quick question to the people who know about it, is there any erly players that can be deemed 'Franchise player' in this draft??

i would say its similar to this years draft in terms of strength overall. more solid defensive prospects.

tavares is the next hyped franchise prosepct.

Divine Wind

i would say its similar to this years draft in terms of strength overall. more solid defensive prospects.

tavares is the next hyped franchise prosepct.

I would agree with this. However, Stamkos has more potential than any '07 forward IMO.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i'll take a crack at it.

1. drew doughty
2. steven stamkos
3. alex pietrangelo
4. kyle beach
5. jimmy hayes
6. colton teubert
7. michael del zotto
8. thomas mccollum
9. nikita filatov
10.zach boychuk

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
What's the skinny on Taylor Stefishen? Could he go in the first round? Is he going to stay in the BCHL next season or move to the WHL? Does anybody think he might end up in the NCAA? If so, where?

FYI, no specific interest, just curious. His stats seem like they should be getting him more attention.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
What's the skinny on Taylor Stefishen? Could he go in the first round? Is he going to stay in the BCHL next season or move to the WHL? Does anybody think he might end up in the NCAA? If so, where?

FYI, no specific interest, just curious. His stats seem like they should be getting him more attention.

i want to know more about him aswell. there was something about him here like a week ago. he had played in some kind of tournament and was the MVP if i remember correctly. he's numbers in the bchl was pretty good. is he a new kyle turris maybe :dunno:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i think mcrae will have a big year too. however, you cant rank him close to the top 10 now. i know the draft is based on potential, but theres also a big aspect of that has to be proven on the ice. he didnt do much last year, he didnt get much quality time, and i think he will improve alot this year. that being said, in may of 2007, hes not a 1st rounder, in june 2008 he could be a top 10 pick.

i agree with you, but like you said this is my Projection. We still have a ways to go before draft day, we will see what happens. I like what McRae has, and I like the team he plays on. Expect a big year out of him to warrant top 10 consideration..imo.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I keep flip flopping between Stamkos(being my personal fav)and Doughty as 1-2. As others have said, I think it will depend on what the team wants, if they want a D man, then Doughty goes, otherwise Stamkos.

Right now my pick is either Florida or Chicago to be at the bottom next year, with Stamkos becoming a Blackhawk(could you imagine him with Toews and Kane if he's taken this year-wow) and Doughty becoming a Panther.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
i agree with you, but like you said this is my Projection. We still have a ways to go before draft day, we will see what happens. I like what McRae has, and I like the team he plays on. Expect a big year out of him to warrant top 10 consideration..imo.

If you have McRae in your top 10, not for anything he's ever done, but because you "like what he has" [fairly tall, good stride, rangy] and you "like the team he plays on" [he should get more ice time and opportunity], then shouldn't you also have OHL'ers like Nemisz, Staal, DeCoste, Della Rovere and Brittain in your top 10?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Surely this is just a top ten NAskater list...where are the euros for @008? The goalies either euro or NA?

Where is for instance Filatov? Boddker? OR that Swiss goalie Woodlief is gaga over, Mayer?

Obviously putting a total top ten together at this early stage is presumptuous--better to do separate NA and Euro skater top ten lists and maybe top 5 fpr goalie lists in each (NA and Euro)--then we can all watch that develop through the 1st half of next season,THEN combine into one overall top ten list by mid-year...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He may be short, but Zach Boychuk is not "tiny", he is built like a tank, he'll impress many next year....no way he doesn't go in the first round.....should be a top 15 pick.

He's 5'9" 176 lbs., as officially weighed/measured by CSS. That's pretty tiny. A 'tank' is Dale Mitchell at 5'9 210.

Maybe 3rd round is pushing it, but these types of smallish early developers always fall considerably by the time the draft rolls around. I'll be shocked if he's top-15 next June, and would consider it exponentially more likely he ends up in the 2nd round, at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad