GDT: Sunday Matinee (Chi at Ana, 1pm pac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Did you guys see fowlers ice time tonight. Holy moly
26:28

Edit: although now that I look at his game log he seems to be logging just a crap ton of ice time each game. 25+ is the norm

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Randy clearly loves Cam but as he is active like today I love his game. All in all as long as they play that way we will be fine. Perry always look the same, no matter if he scores 2 goals, none or is going to a kindergarten party.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Somehow we're the 6th best defensive team.
9732d75a80bbab2a820f6a7067007965.jpg

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
We have another year of Gibby on cheap. But what the hell will he get once his contract is off?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We have another year of Gibby on cheap. But what the hell will he get once his contract is off?
No one still knows. His injuries are still worrysome, that could drag his price down a bit. But he will get a good money, no doubt.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Somehow we're the 6th best defensive team.
That`s not bad. However I`m scratching my head if it is really true :laugh:

We give up 40 shots against on a regular basis. Goalies are part of a defense but that`s not a good recipe for success.
We will need Gibson to pull off a Giggy. Wait, ''Gibson'' and ''pull'' in one sentence should not be named ever again.

PS
We are allowing 5th most shots on goal in the league :facepalm:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Did you guys see fowlers ice time tonight. Holy moly
26:28

Edit: although now that I look at his game log he seems to be logging just a crap ton of ice time each game. 25+ is the norm

That’s nothing new under Carlyle. He loves giving him ice time like he loved giving it to Phaneuf in Toronto and Beauchemin in his first stint here.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So who would of thought Pettersson will get his first point before Larsson does.

Also, he is just 21, somehow I thought Marcus was already like 23

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So Grant had 2 apples last nigh, has 4 points (all apples) in last 4 games. playing 14+ mins last 2 games.

He is a player I would be happy to resign

PS
(apples are just much easier to write than assists)

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

We give up 40 shots against on a regular basis. Goalies are part of a defense but that`s not a good recipe for success.
We will need Gibson to pull off a Giggy. Wait, ''Gibson'' and ''pull'' in one sentence should not be named ever again.

PS
We've actively improved our shots against significantly. And we're still 5th worst. And I think we're also 5th worst in shots taken.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I'm crossing my fingers with Kesler, but right now I'm a little worried that the last two games are a result of having some extra days off. I remember a few years ago Getzlaf was dealing with an injury(I think it was a high ankle sprain) and he'd come back from a few days off and tear it up, but then he'd start to slow down again because the ankle still wasn't healed. He was just feeling a bit better for a game or two.

Right now, that's my concern with Kesler; that his hip is pretty much the same, but he just feels better after a few days off, and it will quickly go back to being an issue until the season ends.

This is why I would like to see him get a game off here and there. Grant could play with Cogs and Silf in those games. I know it sounds risky but imo the downgrade from a struggling Kesler (hip feeling worse again) is not a very big one, and then we get a fresher Kesler for a few games (which could be huge). Also, the players have shown that they can step up their game when a big name is out of the lineup. So sitting Kesler against some weaker teams might make the others take the game more seriously.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
This is why I would like to see him get a game off here and there. Grant could play with Cogs and Silf in those games. I know it sounds risky but imo the downgrade from a struggling Kesler (hip feeling worse again) is not a very big one, and then we get a fresher Kesler for a few games (which could be huge). Also, the players have shown that they can step up their game when a big name is out of the lineup. So sitting Kesler against some weaker teams might make the others take the game more seriously.
At the very least, they should put him on the Beauch plan. Day off in the second of back to backs.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I hope Bob doesn't give Gibson any more than Freddie got. 5x5, I could live with. Any more on either number would be worrisome. Especially given his health history.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I hope Bob doesn't give Gibson any more than Freddie got. 5x5, I could live with. Any more on either number would be worrisome. Especially given his health history.

I'd be stunned if he's signed for what Freddie was signed for. 6 years, 6 million a year is my guess.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Gibson would be eating up more UFA years I believe though. Plus he’s a better goalie. But the health is certainly worrying, I would hate to have him turn out to be a Rick Dipietro.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

PS

Last year Carlyle and Getzlaf said that they weren’t worried about shots given up but more about limiting scoring chances

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
His health is definitely my concern as well. But I'm also a believer in not spending big on the G position. We can all debate how much "big" is, and we can can all talk about '03 Jiggy, but it sure seems to me that very average goalies having good seasons have won cups in the last decade. Being a budget team, we cannot spend large on Gibson's next contract. He will not win us a cup by himself.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
His health is definitely my concern as well. But I'm also a believer in not spending big on the G position. We can all debate how much "big" is, and we can can all talk about '03 Jiggy, but it sure seems to me that very average goalies having good seasons have won cups in the last decade. Being a budget team, we cannot spend large on Gibson's next contract. He will not win us a cup by himself.

See Price, Carey

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Thing is, it really does depend on what your definition of big is (and how good a goaltender you think Gibson is/can be). To use the 5m max you used earlier, then I think you struggle to find a true top tier goaltender for less then that amount (unless they are like Gibson/Vasilevskiy where they are on cheap post-ELC deals compared to their skill level). Just look at the top goaltenders this season, Gibson (post-ELC), Vasilevskiy (post-ELC), Hellebuyck (post-ELC) and Jones (who is signed to a 34m/6y contract from next season) are the only .915 sv%+ #1's who are earning under 5m for this season.

Assuming Gibson continues his strong play next season and stays healthy (even this season he is 12th in GP and TOI which is a big step up from previous seasons) then I just don't see how Gibson is getting less then 6m tbh. He'll be 26 when the 19-20 season (when the contract extension kicks in) and assuming we give him a 6-7 year deal we'll be buying up 5 or 6 UFA years and keep him here until he's 32/33. Not to mention only Carey Price out of all NHL #1's has a better sv% then Gibson since the 13-14 season, while you can argue he played less games etc and that's valid - it is super impressive from a guy who hasn't even turned 25 yet. It's not going to be cheap for Anaheim to re-sign him.

I do agree with not spending big on the goalie position to an extent, but there are exceptions to that IMO. Gibson is showing himself to be the type of goaltender who can make your team look far better then it really is, and that's a pretty valuable for any team to have (and I'd argue something only a handful of goaltenders in the NHL have) - that's the exact type of goaltender you want long term, not under a Price 10.5m AAV contract obviously but say a Schneider-esque 6m AAV 7 year contract? No doubt a risk with Gibson's health, but I don't think Anaheim can afford to walk from that especially with very little in the pipeline

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Thing is, it really does depend on what your definition of big is (and how good a goaltender you think Gibson is/can be). To use the 5m max you used earlier, then I think you struggle to find a true top tier goaltender for less then that amount (unless they are like Gibson/Vasilevskiy where they are on cheap post-ELC deals compared to their skill level). Just look at the top goaltenders this season, Gibson (post-ELC), Vasilevskiy (post-ELC), Hellebuyck (post-ELC) and Jones (who is signed to a 34m/6y contract from next season) are the only .915 sv%+ #1's who are earning under 5m for this season.

Assuming Gibson continues his strong play next season and stays healthy (even this season he is 12th in GP and TOI which is a big step up from previous seasons) then I just don't see how Gibson is getting less then 6m tbh. He'll be 26 when the 19-20 season (when the contract extension kicks in) and assuming we give him a 6-7 year deal we'll be buying up 5 or 6 UFA years and keep him here until he's 32/33. Not to mention only Carey Price out of all NHL #1's has a better sv% then Gibson since the 13-14 season, while you can argue he played less games etc and that's valid - it is super impressive from a guy who hasn't even turned 25 yet. It's not going to be cheap for Anaheim to re-sign him.

I do agree with not spending big on the goalie position to an extent, but there are exceptions to that IMO. Gibson is showing himself to be the type of goaltender who can make your team look far better then it really is, and that's a pretty valuable for any team to have (and I'd argue something only a handful of goaltenders in the NHL have) - that's the exact type of goaltender you want long term, not under a Price 10.5m AAV contract obviously but say a Schneider-esque 6m AAV 7 year contract? No doubt a risk with Gibson's health, but I don't think Anaheim can afford to walk from that especially with very little in the pipeline
I'm not dissing Gibby's performance (when healthy), I just worry about his health and worry that a budget team with too much tied up in G could really handicap themselves. If the cap keeps going up there can obviously be some upward adjustment on what would be considered comfortable financially.

Depending upon what he wants, I'd consider moving him before giving him something that will really bind the team. It kind of ties in with the theme I keep preaching that to be successful in a cap league you have to get good performance from younger, cheaper, players. Nobody has the money to sign all your best players to 5 plus year contracts for top dollar. Not unless you don't mind competing for the #1 pick every year rather than the cup.

It's all pretty hypothetical at this point in time, I just think we have to be careful. I'm not overly excited about the Fowler deal, but still hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad