WWE: Summer Women's Tournament Announced

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
They probably have (almost) everyone signed, or at least deals agreed in principle, from when they contacted them all last year. If you agree to do a WWE show, then you probably are not going to change your mind about it even after it's delayed.

I like tournaments, and WWE had had two good ones recently, so I'm very much looking forward to it. And it's not like they are going to be short on talent so I've got high expectation.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i thought this was a prank. internet is terrible today.

Ivelisse and Leva Bates please.
(and Lana Austins butt please)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They better have Nicole Matthews. She's incredible.

They've been talking to her. If Io Shirai doesn't sign a contract, she could be in the Kota Ibushi role.

Lucha Underground might prevent Ivelisse from appearing.

Final 4 of Kimber Lee, Nicole Matthews, Mia Yim and Kairi Hojo. Or maybe someone like Mercedes Martinez in there too, since they'll probably want someone who is Latina.

Not sure who would be on commentary, but please not Lita.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I know she is retired, but, it would be nice to see Daffney again escpecially after how TNA treated her.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Ivelisse will def not be in there.... dont know if its because of LU but shes not happy.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Madison Eagles should be back in the ring around May. Depending on when they tape the show, she would be a serious standout. One of the few people who could be an Asuka-killer. Not sure if this is up her alley, but as a one-off, she would be perfect. How about Saraya Knight?

Will be interesting to see if this can live up to the ChickFight tournaments from 10 years ago when Cheerleader Melissa, Sara Del Rey, MsChif, Allison Danger, Mercedes Martinez, Daizee Haze, Lacey, and Rain were in their prime.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
They're not going to book Saraya, not with the Paige problems and the fact that WWE are going directly against her own promotion.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I know she is retired, but, it would be nice to see Daffney again escpecially after how TNA treated her.

I don't think there's a chance that Daffney comes back, I thought she was still a bit of a mess because of that last concussion when TNA put her in the ring against that enormous rookie who say on her head full force.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ivelisse will def not be in there.... dont know if its because of LU but shes not happy.

That's too bad because she's amazing.

They should pay a lot of money and bring Shantelle Taylor out of retirement. That would be my dream. :laugh: And Sarita (she's already in WWE as a trainer)! ****, did I ever love Sarita. Loved them as a tag team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Triple H has announced that the Mae Young Classic, which is the only time I will acknowledge this as such, will be July 13/14 from Full Sail.

Couple things, obvious ******** in the name, but at least it's not the Stephanie McMahon or Fabulous Moolah Classic.

2 days, also ********. I wanted more than an 8-person tournament, would have preferred something similar to the CWC. Even 16 would've been fine. So much more they could've done without leaving anything on the table.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Eight is low, but it depends on what they are doing with the show. They were never going to sign a ton of women as they just have no need for a large roster.

But as much as I enjoyed the CWC series, I enjoy one/two night tournaments more. You can put together some really tight shows with them, like the UK one earlier in the year. As the number of participants is low they're probably signing them all so you can set things up for later too.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
how the hell do you stretch an 8 person tourney over 2 days?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Easy. 2h shows, four matches on each. Have a filler match between the semis and the final.

That's if you do knockout. You could also do two groups for 6+6 matches and a final on a longer show. Or have the finals live somewhere.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Easy. 2h shows, four matches on each. Have a filler match between the semis and the final.

That's if you do knockout. You could also do two groups for 6+6 matches and a final on a longer show. Or have the finals live somewhere.

sorry ignore me, I went full mentally challenged and counted the number of matches wrong :laugh:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Where are you guys getting that it's an 8-person tourney? The presser says 32

WWE announces Mae Young Classic women's tournament to be held at Full Sail Live July 13 and 14

WWE has announced that the first-ever Mae Young Classic women's tournament will take place Thursday, July 13, and Friday, July 14, from Full Sail Live in Orlando, Fla.

Tickets will go on sale this Friday at 10 a.m. ET via nxttickets.com.

The tournament, named after WWE Hall of Famer and one of the greatest WWE Superstars in history, Mae Young, will feature 32 of the top female competitors from around the world participating in a single-elimination tournament. The unprecedented event will stream later this summer exclusively on WWE Network.

"The Mae Young Classic will mark a significant moment in the evolution of WWE," said Paul "Triple H" Levesque, WWE Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events and Creative. "We are proud to provide this unique opportunity for the best female talent from around the world."

Additional information on the Mae Young Classic will be announced in the coming weeks.

Reactions: sheriff bart

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was going off of assumption. Maybe they're just the first two dates? I don't know how you do a 32-person tournament in 2 days.

What's wrong with calling it the Mae Young Classic?

Typical revisionism from WWE.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
If you have the semis and finals live later, you can probably do it.

The early round matches will be 5-7mins each, so in a four hour taping you can probably do 12~16 matches in one night. An actual TV show you can pad out greatly with videos and stuff. But it wouldn't be ideal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
CWC only had one match go more than 10 minutes in round 1 and it was Ciampa/Gargano, which went 10:47 (could've sworn it was much longer than that). They were doing 4 matches in an hour.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I was going off of assumption. Maybe they're just the first two dates? I don't know how you do a 32-person tournament in 2 days.

Typical revisionism from WWE.
They used to 8 man tournaments in 3 hours with filler. 32 is easily done in 2 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->