Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I wouldn't say it's more defensive.
4-3-3 with 3 defensive minded CMs can be pretty defensive.
4-2-3-1 with a real 10 or someone like Griezmann (the system Deschamps used at Euro 16) can be very offensive.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
4-2-3-1 with a real 10 or someone like Griezmann (the system Deschamps used at Euro 16) can be very offensive.

Sorry, should’ve specified with Mourinho as coach. No such thing as an offensive 4-2-3-1 with him.

Reactions: Evilo

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It could. But it’s typically a more defensive formation.
Agreed but if we played Pogba at 10 and got a new DM (for now McTominay could work) then we might be able to shelter our shitty defense a little and allow Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba. Martial/Lingard/Rashford to go forward.
Sorry, should’ve specified with Mourinho as coach. No such thing as an offensive 4-2-3-1 with him.
With Mourinho as coach, every system is defensive.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agreed but if we played Pogba at 10 and got a new DM (for now McTominay could work) then we might be able to shelter our ****ty defense a little and allow Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba. Martial/Lingard/Rashford to go forward.

With Mourinho as coach, every system is defensive.

I’m not even going to think of ways to fix the team as long as Mourinho is manager. It will never be a successful team with him in charge.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think that's stretching it. They won the Europa and the League Cup just last season and are sitting in 2nd place in the PL. They don't look great but they've been fairly successful.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think that's stretching it. They won the Europa and the League Cup just last season and are sitting in 2nd place in the PL. They don't look great but they've been fairly successful.

I am a little reactionary right now to be fair. But I’ve just never felt like this team has come close to hitting its potential. This team wasn’t built to play 9 behind the ball and we shouldn’t be. I’m just sick of Mou and his garbage.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
My problem is that when they go down a goal, you get the feeling that they aren’t coming back. They continue to sit in and they don’t try to attack. Obviously yesterday was a bit different because they were going to be out of the CL but we also had close to every single attacking player we had on the field. I think my biggest problem is not his lack of attacking but his lack of versatility.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Well, people who are out on Mourinho have got to ask themselves, is it the football or the results they’re angry with?

Because you could certainly hire a more attack-minded coach, but that won’t guarantee titles. The Prem is stronger than it ever was during Ferguson’s reign , so whilst you all want a return to attacking football , that still won’t be enough to beat Pep and City. (Klopp and Poch would appreciate a more open game as well , I’m sure)

If you’re fine attacking and still finishing behind Pep , then by all means fire Mourinho.

There’s no guarantee Mourinho can beat Pep anyways (he most likely can’t) , may as well do it with style.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well, people who are out on Mourinho have got to ask themselves, is it the football or the results they’re angry with?

If he's not going to play attractive football, he has to get results. Last year was alright, EL title and league cup was the minimum we want. This year isn't. Sure second is good, but it's a distant second, a CL loss to Sevilla isn't acceptable, and the FA cup might be nice, but is hardly ground breaking.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool are in on Timo Werner according to Miguel Delaney.

Hopefully they didn’t burn too many bridges with RBL. Would glad do another Keita style deal with them to lock this one up. Bayern is obviously the favorite but am glad Liverpool is going to give it a go.

Liverpool summer targets look like (alphabetically):

Alisson, Jorginho, Pulisic, Werner

I don’t think anyone else has been reliably linked

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I’m more upset with the football than the results. Because I know playing more positive football with this team would bring better results. But at the end of the day he has to either get results or play good football. It’s unacceptable to play negative football and not get results.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Liverpool are in on Timo Werner according to Miguel Delaney.

Hopefully they didn’t burn too many bridges with RBL. Would glad do another Keita style deal with them to lock this one up. Bayern is obviously the favorite but am glad Liverpool is going to give it a go.

Liverpool summer targets look like (alphabetically):

Alisson, Jorginho, Pulisic, Werner

I don’t think anyone else has been reliably linked

Jorginho? Why?

You guys have Keita on the way.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jorginho? Why?

You guys have Keita on the way.
They need both. Midfield has been a persistent weakness.

Jorginho and Keita would be their best two midfielders. Liverpool is loading up. No reason they can’t play together.

Jorginho has been linked often by the club’s best writers as well. This is not just a tabloid link.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No way in hell Werner goes to Liverpool after what happened with Keita. Just gonna automatically forget about that one.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
They need both. Midfield has been a persistent weakness.

Jorginho and Keita would be their best two midfielders. Liverpool is loading up. No reason they can’t play together.

Jorginho has been linked often by the club’s best writers as well. This is not Keita? just a tabloid link.

I guess that means Can is gone for certain?

Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Ox , Lallana... plus Jorginho and Keita?

I dunno if Jorginho really suits you guys defensively, but he would certainly be your best passer and pull the strings better than anyone you have.

Jorginho is more of a Pep style player to me . I thought you’d guys would be in the market for a genuine class DM.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I guess that means Can is gone for certain?

Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Ox , Lallana... plus Jorginho and Keita?

I dunno if Jorginho really suits you guys defensively, but he would certainly be your best passer and pull the strings better than anyone you have.

Jorginho is more of a Pep style player to me . I thought you’d guys would be in the market for a genuine class DM.
I don’t think anyone expects Can to stay.

Milner is probably winding down. Lallana has had injury problems. No one else on that list is immune to being upgraded.

Klopp doesn’t play with a DM. Jorginho would actually fit pretty well. They need those things that you have mentioned. Liverpool is more possession orientated than people realize. Their system is not to different to Napoli.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Jorginho behind Keita and one of Ox/Wijnaldum/Henderson will be a menace in the PL next season, assuming it happens.

Reactions: Savant

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I don’t think anyone expects Can to stay.

Milner is probably winding down. Lallana has had injury problems. No one else on that list is immune to being upgraded.

Klopp doesn’t play with a DM. Jorginho would actually fit pretty well. They need those things that you have mentioned. Liverpool is more possession orientated than people realize. Their system is not to different to Napoli.

Their system is miles different. Napoli’s closest comparable in the Prem is City.

So unless you consider your system to be close to City’s , I would say you’re a bit off.

As for Klopp not using a DM , I’d suggest taking a look at Sven Bender during Klopp’s time in Dortmund. Just because you haven’t seen it in Liverpool yet doesn’t mean you won’t.

Henderson absolutely operates as DM at times for you guys as well , it’s just not his preferred position. I thought Klopp might look to get a more traditional option , perhaps he won’t.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No way in hell Werner goes to Liverpool after what happened with Keita. Just gonna automatically forget about that one.
Yeah, doesn’t look good. But then again I thought Southampton would never do business with Liverpool again either.

Heck, I didn’t think Liverpool was gonna get Keita done. If they don’t make CL, they’re gonna have to sell him (because he’s going to have a good World Cup) and I think they rather do Liverpool than Bayern. As much as I know it won’t happen, I would have a new kit to buy.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Did I miss something? What happened that was so bad? When Liverpool lost Coutinho then went and tried to get Keita early. They were willing to pay extra but RBL wanted to keep him through the year. That was all I saw. Was there something else?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Keita initially went on strike and wrecked his teammates leg. Then during the winter Liverpool tried to pressure Leipzig which led to them releasing a statement saying Keita would not be coming in the winter period.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

4-2-3-1 with a Griezmann-type player in the #10 and a good hold-up striker is probably my favourite formation. You can get such beautiful counter-attacking moves with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->