Summer thoughts

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
http://tealpuck.com/2016/06/summer-thoughts-goalies/

Let's start by looking at goalies.

Who's on the depth chart? What might the Sharks be looking at to expose a goalie for the expansion draft?

maybe sign grosenick to the 2 year deal, and have him be the unprotected goalie going into the expansion draft, while signing dell to a 1 year deal this year and then a multi year deal after the expansion draft if he proves himself this year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
maybe sign grosenick to the 2 year deal, and have him be the unprotected goalie going into the expansion draft, while signing dell to a 1 year deal this year and then a multi year deal after the expansion draft if he proves himself this year.

Grosenick is already signed for 16-17. Only would need to sign him for one year to be set for expansion draft.

Who would be the back up in NHL?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Grosenick is already signed for 16-17. Only would need to sign him for one year to be set for expansion draft.

Who would be the back up in NHL?

Dell is who i am hoping for. From reading some of the comments here i think he has earned his shot at the chance to showcase what he is made of this year. Last year when stalock was trying to masquerade himself as a goalie i said then that dell should be called up and stalock sent down.

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
Jacob Markstrome might be available from the canucks for cheap if things go how they always do in Vancouver :naughty:

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
And there's always Berra in Colorado. I still think a deal involving Berra and Wingels could make a lot of sense for everyone involved.

As for Reimer, he's rapidly running out of teams that need starters. Carolina doesn't any more, and Calgary (the other destination) were asking about acquiring Fleury. So unless Dallas ships out one or both of their pair, I am not sure where he'd go to be a starter next year. Which is why I think the scenario of him signing a 1 year deal to stay here in hopes of more opportunities in the 2017 offseason sounds reasonable.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Get Reimer to sign a 2 year contract with an understanding that he'll be exposed at the expansion draft where he'll likely be the best goalie available and ultimately the first starting goalie of a new franchise but also a possible quick out if he doesn't like it there.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Get Reimer to sign a 2 year contract with an understanding that he'll be exposed at the expansion draft where he'll likely be the best goalie available and ultimately the first starting goalie of a new franchise but also a possible quick out if he doesn't like it there.

Could work, but I don't know that he'd go for it. He spent years on a bad team with a terrible defense in front of him. I doubt he has any burning desire to go back to a similar situation.

Anyone have any idea what teams will potentially be looking for new starters in the 2017 offseason? Hard to know, obviously, but if any big name aging goalies have their contracts end that offseason, those would be potential landing spots.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Anyone have any idea what teams will potentially be looking for new starters in the 2017 offseason? Hard to know, obviously, but if any big name aging goalies have their contracts end that offseason, those would be potential landing spots.

Start with Vegas and work from there. :sarcasm: :naughty:

(Haven't spent time looking at expiring contract, much less try to figure out what goalies would be exposed and/or traded in advance of expansion draft.)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Could work, but I don't know that he'd go for it. He spent years on a bad team with a terrible defense in front of him. I doubt he has any burning desire to go back to a similar situation.

I think it was less about the terrible team and more about the terrible media and management. He got blamed for a lot of crap wrongfully and they didn't trust him. He probably just needs a place that wants him.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
That is a starter's salary. If Calgary goes with Bishop or Fleury, and Dallas doesn't get rid of Lehtonen and/or Niemi, who is going to make him such an offer?

A team desperate to make the cap floor? Calgary is rumored to be looking for a starter in trade and they were probably his best remaining bet.

I've been saying for awhile that not only would I like him on short contract to remain our backup but that in the event there aren't any starter jobs available it would in his best interest to stay with the Sharks, who are a contending team, and fluff his stats. Try again next year when there will most likely be more options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad