Summer Skating Camps

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Hey guys, I've been thinking about joining a summer skating camp, with the goal of improving my skating so I can get around the ice more effectively for next season. I am currently playing in a spring league as well. I'm a decent skater, but I do have weaknesses that if I do target, they will make me more effective out there.

My question is: Will a camp over the summer give me a decent improvement with, for example, my edgework and overall footwork? Will I notice a difference?

I will note: I am very, very driven to improve my skating. If I could be on the ice 7 days a week, that's where you'd find me.

Any help or tips are appreciated!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
IMHO, camps help with identifying what you need to work on specifically, and arm you with the knowledge of how to do things properly, but there are no guarantees on how much or how fast you'll improve.

A coach may say one thing to you and suddenly something will click. Or they can spend hours and hours trying to teach and it still might not click for you.

Sometimes learning how to do something right means unlearning how you've been doing it wrong. And unlearning bad habits can be a tough, time consuming thing. I know it is for me. So, IMHO, the work done outside the class is important. The more you're able to take the lessons learned in class and practice them outside of class, the better off you'll be.

Generally, I'd say don't expect over night success. Because even if you learn something in class and are able to do it in a practice environment, it doesn't mean you'll be able to do it in a game environment. I know there are plenty of things I can do at stick and puck that I can't do during a game, at least not well. These things haven't been 100% integrated into my game so just aren't instinctual yet.

These are just my experiences. For all I know you can take some classes and be able to dance like nobody's business by the end of it.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Excellent reply! Good to hear your point of view cause that little bit of insight allows me a little bit of foresight. Yeah I just gotta play it my way and work hard no matter what.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
upload_2018-5-1_12-58-36.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad