Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would say the system is very different. If you don't think 6 years of Butler trap, 1-0 hockey and Oulahan's 2-100 point players in one season is different, I don't understand. I've yet to see Oulahan berate an official or player.
When a team lacks skill beyond one line, that team has to be ultra-defensive to keep games close. Other than some lean years, the battalion system has remained very much the same. The same types play the same roles with the same results.

Once trusted the heavy on the puck battalion player with defensive awareness becomes a centre. He is the first line of defense and steers the opposition to the left side of the D where long arms and sticks await. If a turn over is created the puck is moved to the right side capable stretch passer who first looks to feed the RW to put up gawdy offensive totals.
On deeper battalion teams a play making right shot forward will generally QB the PP on the right side and the D with the bomb mans the left point.

This exact template has been in place since Dineen was 17. You might think the system would get stale, but after 10+ years the battalion have it pretty much dialed in.

Last edited:

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Repeating an offensive set with appropriate options never gets stale. Its 100% a question of execution. To simplify, think give & go, or backdoor pass. The only question is which of the Wolves management will be... 'executed'?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
The same way he went AWOL on the night of the Bountygate suspensions
Still unbelivable to me that none of the adults responsible for the players faced any consequence. A player leaves the bench to join a brawl/fight, he gets suspended, and the coach gets suspended for not controlling his team. No responsibility for the adults in the room here though.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Still unbelivable to me that none of the adults responsible for the players faced any consequence. A player leaves the bench to join a brawl/fight, he gets suspended, and the coach gets suspended for not controlling his team. No responsibility for the adults in the room here though.
this makes no sense, Branch hired a third party to investigate this, and no findings on Team being responsible. Players are made aware of code and conduct on social media from the league, if they break it they are responsible. The only way Team is responsible if they knew about it and nothing was done about it. Another attempted smear job.

Reactions: AKADonovan

apfsds

Jan 23, 2024
NB line up had 6 2006 born players, 3 2005 , 8 2004 and 2 2003 with an 07 back up goalie I the series.
Team still looks bright for the future

Reactions: justawolfan

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
You are partly right. The GM didn’t do his job. But it is not the GMs job to discipline players. It’s the coaches job. Papineau built a great team but didn’t get a goalie. He also didn’t hire a coach and for that reason he should be relieved of gm duties. If you want to run a team you get the proper personnel to coach. What he did by allowing Mackenzie to coach this team is beyond malpractice. Everyone that knows anything about hockey is laughing at the wolves for their coaching choice. As for the goaltending, I’m not sure anyone would be effective with this teams defensive structure.

Dario probably made some money with the better attendance and I really believe he would like the wolves to be successful. If he really wants to win, he needs to get rid of all the old wood in this organization and find a new gm and coach who know what modern hockey business is.

It’s absolute bullshit what this organization did this year to their diehard fans cheaping out on getting an actual OHL level coach with possibly the best team they’ve had in decades. (But they had money to chirp the fanbase with commercials on local tv telling us to shhhhh on social media when they “show us what they can do”. What incredible arrogance from a franchise that hasn’t done shit in 50 years.

Thank goodness there are stupid people like me who cheer for them.
Through my discussions with Papineaus past, present and coaches that turned down this guy all said the same thing. HE dictates who gets played, who gets disciplined. These are all signs of an inexperienced, un knowledgeable and scared for their job GM.

Last year, all the players that stepped up to address attitude issues with 27, 11,78 and 88 were all traded or let go. So yes under normal circumstances, the coach runs the bench, the GM runs the trades, staffing and other management decisions.

This has never been present and that’s why Sudbury will never have a long term coach as it is a stepping stone for coaches in a holding pattern for NHL job, like Derek. It was the worst kept secret in circles, as many were told he was going to Vancouver or Nashville this year, I believe I said it on here and was laughed at.

Again, this team needs 2 goalie, 3 solid forwards and REAL character players that know when and how to be effective at their roles.

Next year is going to be the worst year of Papineaus tenure as his team is further riddle with holes. There are not enough extra picks to do anything, I also said that last year, and there is only one player that can be dealt unless you also trade away the player to build around and to start over. I hate to say it cuz I like the player and wouldn’t want him involved with the Wolves, he’s local too, but Nolan Newton from Barrie is the first player I would get for this team. Character in spades and has the work effort to set an example going forward. That’s were it begins, NOT 27.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Nolan Newton from Barrie is the first player I would get for this team. Character in spades and has the work effort to set an example going forward. That’s were it begins, NOT 27.
Yes he's local, but he's a tweener. Too good for the NOJHL, not good enough to be a difference maker in the OHL. Not someone you waste picks on when there's none to be wasted.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Last year, all the players that stepped up to address attitude issues with 27, 11,78 and 88 were all traded or let go.
What players were those, exactly? Only trades Wolves made last year were Holmes and Assodourian I believe. So who's all these players that were supposedly taking Musty, Goyette, McCallum etc to task that were ultimately traded and or let go for doing so.

Gossiping with teachers and former coaches (which I don't believe)? When did this place turn into TMZ?

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Too bad for North Bay they’l have to play a team with a goaltender in net next series. They would do well to remember they had zero shots in the second last game and had 3 goals on six shots with a paltry 12 after 2. That won’t do it next round.
They were missing their starting goalie, top scorer and their captain. Give credit where it is due. NB clearly wanted it more.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think it's even more simple then that, don't know that they wanted it more, but they were the better team, the better built team, and definitely the more well coached team.
Definitely better built, the battalion selected the BPA for the team in 5 draft years. Papineau picked his idea of the best individual ending up with with the first 2-3 picks being used on forwards for four straight years.

The battalion complimented the defense and forward groups at the deadline while the wolves rebuilt the D corps and goalie tandem in-season.

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Definitely better built, the battalion selected the BPA for the team in 5 draft years. Papineau picked his idea of the best individual ending up with with the first 2-3 picks being used on forwards for four straight years.

The battalion complimented the defense and forward groups at the deadline while the wolves rebuilt the D corps and goalie tandem in-season.
Battalion players develop season to season, wolves players are what they are when they get here, and don't get better, in particular the D and the goaltenders.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Battalion players develop season to season, wolves players are what they are when they get here, and don't get better, in particular the D and the goaltenders.
Battalion players work their up the line-up even in rebuilding years. They play roles no matter where they were picked.
Wolves rookies see top six and PP1 TOI partly due to over selling vets for picks. Wolves players don’t often get to learn watching and practicing with (real) veterans.
Fans that demand 16-17 yr olds be over exposed for the sake of development drive me nuts. More often than not, it does not prove to be beneficial. Sometimes it’s just unnecessary wear on developing bodies.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Can’t help but wonder why he left the colts.
From what I read he was a call up with Barrie. He signed in November and played 13 games from early November until early December. He was likely playing as an affiliate player and could only play ten games he played 13 because some of those games would have been during the Under 17 Tournament so those games don’t count against the ten. I don’t think he quit the Colts he just was reassigned.

Reactions: Roadhog

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Yes he's local, but he's a tweener. Too good for the NOJHL, not good enough to be a difference maker in the OHL. Not someone you waste picks on when there's none to be wasted.
I checked my notes and he’s 17. This kid has talent, more so then 18, but what he has in spades is work ethic something most of the wolves players don’t have. That’s worth something on a team. When a 4th liner out works a teams ace, that say something to every other guy on the team. That’s compete and desire. Ask any scout and 90% will tell you the first thing to look for is competitive attitude. I know why he left Barrie and it wasn’t a behaviour issue. If Papineau is ok with wasting picks in his horrendous trades, and you feel he isn’t worth a pick, I’d take that gamble and pick him up for a late pick anyway. Watch, he will be snapped up pretty quick when the trades start to happen.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
From what I read he was a call up with Barrie. He signed in November and played 13 games from early November until early December. He was likely playing as an affiliate player and could only play ten games he played 13 because some of those games would have been during the Under 17 Tournament so those games don’t count against the ten. I don’t think he quit the Colts he just was reassigned.

Per Barrie color guy, player choice in the reply to the tweet.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I could be wrong, but I think Williamson kept him right out of camp. He had plenty of good things to say about Newton when cutting him as a 16 yr old.
Are you thinking of ‘07 born 2nd round picked Newton?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I could be wrong, but I think Williamson kept him right out of camp. He had plenty of good things to say about Newton when cutting him as a 16 yr old.

When I looked his at the game by game stats on the OHL web page it showed that he played 13 games between November 9 until December 9th. According to the Barrie Colts web page Nolan Newton signed on with the Colts on November 6th.

Reactions: dirty12

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Hi all,

Tough end to the year but from an outside fan looking in the line of 88-27-51 will go down as one of the most potent in recent history.

I am thinking about making the permanent move to Sudbury as work is offering me an opportunity & hoping the cost of living is a little more easy?

Should be nice to get a new arena + entertainment venue.

Whats going to be the deal for n. newton when trade windows open back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad