Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
That game was a rollercoaster of emotions and I watched maybe 10 minutes of it.

I had hockey last night and before leaving for the rink it was 2-0 Battalion. Not feeling good.
Before hitting the ice it was 3-2 Wolves. Feeling a bit better.
After hitting the ice, 5-2 Wolves and no shots on goal in the 2nd by the Battalion. Feeling GREAT!
Get home and it’s 5-5. Not feeling good at all.
Wake up this morning and Wolves are down 3-0 in the series.
Not sure what happened but I’m going to assume KMac didn’t prepare the team for what North Bay was going to bring in the 3rd. Not going to blame the reffing either here. Wolves had lots of chances to ice it on the PP’s they got.
Also, why was Wakely left alone in the slot in OT. Where's the coverage there?

Last edited:

bignickelfan

Jan 9, 2024
That game was a rollercoaster of emotions and I watched maybe 10 minutes of it.

I had hockey last night and before leaving for the rink it was 2-0 Battalion. Not feeling good.
Before hitting the ice it was 3-2 Wolves. Feeling a bit better.
After hitting the ice, 5-2 Wolves and no shots on goal in the 2nd by the Battalion. Feeling GREAT!
Get home and it’s 5-5. Not feeling good at all.
Wake up this morning and Wolves are down 3-0 in the series.
Not sure what happened but I’m going to assume KMac didn’t prepare the team for what North Bay was going to bring in the 3rd. Not going to blame the reffing either here. Wolves had lots of chances to ice it on the PP’s they got.
Also, why was Wakely left alone in the slot in OT. Where's the coverage there?
Specifically to the coverage on the OT winner, this has been the problem all year!

An unbelievably talented team wasted by Zurich and Papineau.

Reactions: WolvesFanInNorthBay

Whoppy52

Mar 6, 2013
Bottom line..when a team is ahead 5 -3 and then loses..it's a coaching issue!
They should've been coached to retain that lead.
The Bay were coached to come back and win it. Vondras was playing with little confidence especially in the 3rd and OT.
Let's see game 4..maybe a cadillac comeback!!

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
The fix is in. Two five minute majors just handwaved into minors. Meanwhile wolves the softest penalties called all game, back to back.

Dvorsky should be ashamed, looking for change on the ice after his teammate gets put through the boards on a late hit. Show some spine

Wolves finished 1/7 on the Powerplay... 7 attempts. North Bay had 2 & capitalized on both.

The reasoning behind the "handwave" down to a 2 was likely because they wanted to call a 2 but because of the injury they went 5 in order to review and make sure the call was correct.

I believe both the calls going to minor's was correct. If you can find an example of either of those plays being called majors by all means show me. But thats a 2 yesterday, today, tomorrow.

Wolves have been outworked all series long other than periodic stretches throughout the games.

At times Sudbury looks like they could handily take this series but there seems to be some switch that they can not keep flipped.

Either way Tomorrow is going to be interesting to see how they respond.

Wolfie

Nov 3, 2023
I will give credit when credit is due. North Bay just wants it more. They have a burning desire to not lose. They obviously have the experience from last year. Good for them!

Wolves played well enough however some unfortunate calls and the short handed goal late in the game really did them in.

As for the coaching. We weren’t out coached by North Bay. We had a coach who out coached himself. It was all year. When you don’t put out Villeneuve on the PP when he scored two goals tonight and has the extra step says something about the coach not being able to recognize things that trending in a game. As well the fourth line not getting sniff of icetime when Coughlan was forechecking hard and making an impact. I just shake my head.

Onto next season now. We had hope but like every year I look to the future. Some nice prospects coming in. Hopefully we can find the right guidance behind the bench to lead a new crop of youngsters.

I’m not confident the Wolves have what it takes to take on such a monumental task.

WJ
Ken's failure to recognize which players are having good games and which aren't has been persistent all year, especially for players like Yearwood and Coughlan. He relies so much on the top six that he has given up on any accountability for them. Just last night, Musty making blind backhand muffin passes right up the middle in our zone should be an instant timeout, but he never missed a shift. Until this organization gets a coach who realizes that it takes a full team to win in the playoffs, they will go nowhere

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Ken's failure to recognize which players are having good games and which aren't has been persistent all year, especially for players like Yearwood and Coughlan. He relies so much on the top six that he has given up on any accountability for them. Just last night, Musty making blind backhand muffin passes right up the middle in our zone should be an instant timeout, but he never missed a shift. Until this organization gets a coach who realizes that it takes a full team to win in the playoffs, they will go nowhere
Quik question, the turnover on the pp that lead to the pk goal, was that Goyette? I'd have to rewind that part of the game

Reactions: djscooter

Wolves fan

Nov 7, 2021
I dont think ken played the 4th line in the 3rd. Why not????? They were our best line in game 2. In game 4 we should get a chant going that says “ken you suck”. We lost a 3 goal lead in the 3rd. Thats bad coaching. Paps and ken should be both fired. Who fires paps ??? Zullich ??

Wolfie

Nov 3, 2023
I dont think ken played the 4th line in the 3rd. Why not????? They were our best line in game 2. In game 4 we should get a chant going that says “ken you suck”. We lost a 3 goal lead in the 3rd. Thats bad coaching. Paps and ken should be both fired. Who fires paps ??? Zullich ??
Wolves didn't let a shot on net in the 2nd period and all 4 lines were playing. Big brain-3d chess playing Ken decides to get away from a format that is obviously working and goes back to only playing 3 lines. Talk about going out of your way to F*ck things up. It hurts to watch.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Wolves didn't let a shot on net in the 2nd period and all 4 lines were playing. Big brain-3d chess playing Ken decides to get away from a format that is obviously working and goes back to only playing 3 lines. Talk about going out of your way to F*ck things up. It hurts to watch.
Up by 3, just need not to blow it, and they don't think to run 2 D on the PP might have been my favorite. Ken only knows how to coach to try to score more goals, not to win games.

Last edited:

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Up by 3, just need not to blow it, and they don't think to run 2 D on the PP might have been my favorite. Ken only knows how to coach to try to score more goals, not to win games.
LOL wow - I didn't notice that but that's unbelievable. Just play a simple game, umbrella style PP with 2-D. You're up 3.. why do you need more goals?

Reactions: djscooter

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Specifically to the coverage on the OT winner, this has been the problem all year!

I didn’t see Zulich or Papineau on the ice above the puck when the OT winning goal was scored. Referring to our super talented players, you give them way too much credit when you are only effective on half the ice. Chicken or Egg? Coaches not teaching proper D or players not willy to play proper D? I say the later, but it could be both.
It would be interesting to see the DZone Stats for the 3 forwards on the ice when we left NB’s best goal scorer alone in the slot. we didn’t have a forward within 20 ft of him. The previous 79 games would tell you the forward line in the ice was destined to fail.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
It's crazy to think this team would win the Memorial Cup without losing a game if they did not have Musty, according to the experts here. Rumor has it Musty was the shooter on the grassy knoll too.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
It's crazy to think this team would win the Memorial Cup without losing a game if they did not have Musty, according to the experts here. Rumor has it Musty was the shooter on the grassy knoll too.
He was the weak side winger who didn’t cover the slot. watch the replay.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
He was the weak side winger who didn’t cover the slot. watch the replay.
Musty is often to blame, not sure he's the blame here, or atleast it's a team/system failure.

Wolevs D in the corner has a north bay played pinned out, both Musty and the other wolves D(McCoy?) are trying to get sticks into the lane. Guy in front of the net who scores has two wolves closer to him then Musty. This is just the entire D-zone coverage breaking down. Where is the center on this play? 4 wolves players failed to cover 3 north bay players, that should not happen.

Everything is always Musty's fault in this thread though, Goyette and Dvorsky are equally guilty of being no-shows in terms of star players. DeAngelis has been an absolute travesty defensively. Coaching continues to be to blame.

We can agree to disagree, that's what makes this place great ultimately.

1713368854894.png

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Musty is often to blame, not sure he's the blame here, or atleast it's a team/system failure.

Wolevs D in the corner has a north bay played pinned out, both Musty and the other wolves D(McCoy?) are trying to get sticks into the lane. Guy in front of the net who scores has two wolves closer to him then Musty. This is just the entire D-zone coverage breaking down. Where is the center on this play? 4 wolves players failed to cover 3 north bay players, that should not happen.

Everything is always Musty's fault in this thread though, Goyette and Dvorsky are equally guilty of being no-shows in terms of star players. DeAngelis has been an absolute travesty defensively. Coaching continues to be to blame.

We can agree to disagree, that's what makes this place great ultimately.

View attachment 853751
My bad, I thought #27 was on far wall were #13 is, out of this frame. No discounting the talent level of some of our stars, it’s been fun to watch the past few years. But putting up points doesn’t make you a bonafide star. They are young and hockey is a game of mistakes, but you become a true star when you are reliable in all 3 zones. Big learning curve ahead at next levels for those moving up. With a 3 goal lead in the third our team needed to do a better job managing the game/lead. Wakely’s goal can’t happen.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
My bad, I thought #27 was on far wall were #13 is, out of this frame. No discounting the talent level of some of our stars, it’s been fun to watch the past few years. But putting up points doesn’t make you a bonafide star. They are young and hockey is a game of mistakes, but you become a true star when you are reliable in all 3 zones. Big learning curve ahead at next levels for those moving up. With a 3 goal lead in the third our team needed to do a better job managing the game/lead. Wakely’s goal can’t happen.
The stars(Musty, Goyette) both played much better defence last year under Derek MacKenzie, which is why I continue to bang the drum of this being a coaching problem. We've seen do it before, it's possible.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
It has always been the coaching (or lack thereof). Seriously, up 5-2, give up a shorty and with 4 minutes left in the game on a power play, give up a breakaway that leads to a series of penalties against. The power play was an issue all year. Yes- it was fourth best in the league at the end of the year, but I'm sure that was more due to the talent overwhelming the leagues minnows - how many pp goals did we score on Barrie this year? Defensive structure was an issue all year. Long shifts and lack of accountability were issues all year. The team was built with four good lines and the coaching staff uses two almost all game because they rely on talent instead of the systems they put in place.

The result is no surprise. They crammed for the exam the night before and took a big F instead of studying all year like Oshawa, NB, London and the rest of the winners did.

At least there will be a ton of talent to trade next year to build for the future. FFS hire a coach and get a new GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad