Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Sudbury looked aggressive because they were frustrated by getting outplayed. Musty took 3 penalties and threw a hissy fit each time. Plus when he broke his stick he whipped at an Oshawa player that shockingly didn't cause him his 4th penalty.

I also think this team doesn't have the goaltending to make a deep run. They matchup up against North Bay or Oshawa in round 2 they will get outworked, outcoached and outplayed by superior goaltending IMO.
is General Updates out of prison yet?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
HOT TAKE:
Sudbury wins the OHL Championship

I really like what I saw last night vs Oshawa. Sudbury with three in three. Oshawa rested at home. BUT. I saw a Sudbury team that was looking to punish Oshawa players physically. I saw much better defensive zone coverage than most recent games. I saw a certain level of overall fight and jam that I think has been missing a lot.

I think Sudbury handles Mississauga. I called it in 6 games but I have a sneaky suspicion it will be four games. I have the same sort of feeling about Sudbury right now that I had about the Petes the last week of the season last year. A team that on paper is one of if not the best teams in the league that had underachieved and were inconsistent. Then, one good confidence capturing series win against the Wolves last year and they were off to the races. I see the same sort of potential for Sudbury this year.
Yes to the points about jam, defensive zone and competing. The goaltending was decent as well and the defensive play and structure was finally there. Had it been there from the beginning the Wolves would have been in first by a good amount. Hopefully Berehowsky can continue improving the group defensively as that’s the number one need.

Wolfie

Nov 3, 2023
Ken needs to run all four lines in the playoffs if the wolves want a chance to go far. Running only three lines against Oshawa, our top six was gassed, grew increasingly frustrated and started taking dumb penalties. Use the fourth line like you're supposed to...a checking line that makes the other team uncomfortable and gets the top six offensive zone starts. Oshawa did exactly that and look how the game turned out.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Ken needs to run all four lines in the playoffs if the wolves want a chance to go far. Running only three lines against Oshawa, our top six was gassed, grew increasingly frustrated and started taking dumb penalties. Use the fourth line like you're supposed to...a checking line that makes the other team uncomfortable and gets the top six offensive zone starts. Oshawa did exactly that and look how the game turned out.
With Villeneuve back, and if Yearwood is good to go, that'll leave them with a lineup where they can roll 4 lines. Not really an option when Pryce and Mauro are on the 4th line. Lack of depth picked up at the deadline really killed the team down the stretch with all the injuries and suspensions.

Last edited:

StewieFan76

Mar 23, 2019
I don’t know if anyone here would know but I subscribed to the OHL season package on CHL TV. And it’s currently showing my subscription as active until May 30. So does that mean I will have playoffs or not? Because it also shows packages available for the OHL playoffs either by round or for the entire playoffs. So I’m wondering does that mean it’s a separate package to watch playoffs or is that for people that didn’t subscribe to the whole year and now if they want to watch playoffs have to pay for playoffs only. Not like they are very clear on that site.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t know if anyone here would know but I subscribed to the OHL season package on CHL TV. And it’s currently showing my subscription as active until May 30. So does that mean I will have playoffs or not? Because it also shows packages available for the OHL playoffs either by round or for the entire playoffs. So I’m wondering does that mean it’s a separate package to watch playoffs or is that for people that didn’t subscribe to the whole year and now if they want to watch playoffs have to pay for playoffs only. Not like they are very clear on that site.
Playoffs are a separate package

Reactions: StewieFan76

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You are a registered user but the playoffs is a separate package. $59.00 for the entire 4 rounds. Now if you bought the CHL package that includes playoffs your set. Not sure why they don't offer an OHL package that includes playoffs?

Playoffs are a separate package
Should have looked at this first, lol.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Anyone know if the Wolves are travelling today or tomorrow?

Saw the Soo Greyhounds bus at the Northgate mall about 20 minutes ago. Soo is at home so they're more than likely chartering it.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury

Saw the Soo Greyhounds bus at the Northgate mall about 20 minutes ago. Soo is at home so they're more than likely chartering it.
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone at SWSE knows the playoffs are starting tomorrow, so who knows when they are travelling or if they have even gassed up the bus!
Zero information on the Wolves website /app regarding playoff scheduling or anything else!
If not for an earlier posting here, and stories on sudbury.com and the star website, I honestly wouldn't know that there is a game tomorrow.
Apparently it is even being broadcast on Eastlink.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone at SWSE knows the playoffs are starting tomorrow, so who knows when

They left today as per the article in the paper. Are you going to both games? I was thinking of going Sat. Do you know any cheap places that are half decent in case I decide I don’t want to drive back. Thanks..

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone at SWSE knows the playoffs are starting tomorrow, so who knows when they are travelling or if they have even gassed up the bus!
Zero information on the Wolves website /app regarding playoff scheduling or anything else!
If not for an earlier posting here, and stories on sudbury.com and the star website, I honestly wouldn't know that there is a game tomorrow.
Apparently it is even being broadcast on Eastlink.
The only way to watch in Missy is online. Brutal one camera media feed with the audio from the radio broadcast. Should be streamed at Overtime on Notre Dame.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
The only way to watch in Missy is online. Brutal one camera media feed with the audio from the radio broadcast. Should be streamed at Overtime on Notre Dame.
I contacted Eastlink yesterday.
Away games in Mississauga are being broadcast on tv.
The audio will be from the radio broadcast.
Kind of a weird hybrid, but better than nothing.

Reactions: three dog night

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I contacted Eastlink yesterday.
Away games in Mississauga are being broadcast on tv.
The audio will be from the radio broadcast.
Kind of a weird hybrid, but better than nothing.
Yes with the one camera feed. I’ve paid for them individually before because they weren’t part of the pack. Better than nothing likely says it all. Judging from the comments regarding road announcers on here be prepared for a lot of complaining.

Reactions: AKADonovan

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
They left today as per the article in the paper. Are you going to both games? I was thinking of going Sat. Do you know any cheap places that are half decent in case I decide I don’t want to drive back. Thanks..

I won't be going to any games in Mississauga unfortunately. As for staying the night. I don't know about Missy, However, if you can make it to Barrie, the Allure Hotel and Conference Centre was nice when I was in there for the Barrie/Owen Sound games. It was decently priced as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
I have had IPTV for about 6 months. Cancelled cable. Now get a ton more for a lot less $$, including the Ohl network as part of it... and I assume, all playoff games. Was reluctant to switch, so tried it for one month. No regrets.

Muskyslayer

Aug 29, 2023
I have had IPTV for about 6 months. Cancelled cable. Now get a ton more for a lot less $$, including the Ohl network as part of it... and I assume, all playoff games. Was reluctant to switch, so tried it for one month. No regrets.
I have the same although there are times where I have not been able to find the wolves game. Typically had issues with Sunday afternoon game availability.

Really hoping to see the Wolves come out of the gates with some fire in their bellies. I know it would be new for this team but they gotta be hungry right?

Reactions: yalbmert25

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
I have the same although there are times where I have not been able to find the wolves game. Typically had issues with Sunday afternoon game availability.

Really hoping to see the Wolves come out of the gates with some fire in their bellies. I know it would be new for this team but they gotta be hungry right?
Agreed. A few times the live game was not playing, rather none or a previous one. I am thinking that is a problem with the OHL network, rather than an Eastlink feed.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Good article covering this past season. Although, I can't help but shake my head when the author says "I can't recall a season like this" to a 5th place conference finish. Referring to Goyette as the greatest wolf this century is wild as well on a team that had both Byfield and Ukko this century. Not to mention a playoff MVP in Marc Staal.

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
Best bet is anywhere around the airport. I usually stay at the Meadowside Hilton when im in the area. Around $200/night.

Reactions: Lycanthrope
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad