Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I'm realistic enough to know the player I work with is not skilled enough to play with Byfield. And I don.t believe I bashed any player. I merely stated, that the players on the roster are not skilled enough to make the playoff next year, and the draft will not be enough to make the playoffs next season. The take aways from the team are far greater than the additions. If this team finished dead last, IMO there hasn't been enough improvement to make an impact. Thats not bashing, that's just an honest opinion.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Disciplined? They both had more PIMs then they did the year before.....?
Not as many dumb ones, this year they seemed to have picked their spots better. It's just an opinion, but it was from their games I saw. You have to put a price on leadership. Hockieguy, I'm one of the biggest believers that you always take skill or youth you have similar players, especially skilled young players, and yet I'm okay with keeping the Pilons. It's just the energy they can bring. If you go back you will see as well that I have been involved in similar debates regarding certain skillsets so I apologize to those that may find these posts on the Pilons hypocritical however I was extremely impressed by the leadership they showed at the rookie weekend, as well as how well they seemed to have pushed Murray, wh might I add once again, was our best rookie, and one of the best, in years. Like I have said, if we find a gem then they can go that's okay but that's it. Past them we have no one do drop 'em when someone runs Byfield either. Just my piece.

Here is another view point to at least consider. It may not seem as right but worth considering.

Last year the team finished last, I think in the entire CHL. That being said, they traded away, Sokolov, Pezzetta. Rhodes and Blaisdel aged out so they're gone too. Whos left on the backend to really step up to the next level? I can't see Ross or Serenstis being those guys, nor do I see Stratis making a difference either. They really didn't replace the guys they lost or the Wolves would have improved, they didn't. Now the team starts the new year with basically the same core of players and goal tending from the end of the season. What has improved? The first three picks are good, but after that, nothing is fore sure. What is left to make this team a playoff contender? Not much really. It will be a really tough year. I do like Malik but I'm afraid he is a band aid, and the Wolves would probably have to give Levin away anyway. I also heard that Levin has to return to Israel if he isn't drafted in the first three rounds and last check he isn't rated at all. Even if the Wolves have a great import draft, it wont be enough.

Another interesting dilemma for this team is Byfield himself. Who will play with him? This kid will be in the NHL at 18, so if that happens, look at the team and think if that's anywhere near a team to make a run at anything. The Wolves have two years of Byfield before he is gone to make something happen. I don't see it happening this year at all.

It's your opinion which you are entitled to however I can see Ross taking a large step forward, I really love his game and I see a bit of a young Travis Dermott style player in him. I can't help but get excited for him. Serentis isn't a difference maker I'll give you that but he plays a heavy style that Sudbury severely lacks and he is a solid 4-5-6 D. I think Stratis is a great new age defensemen, his puck moving ability is impressive, and helped take some pressure off Candella IMO. Thompson will hopefully come in and play a top 4 role and we also hold an import pick. If Malik can play a full season I feel he will most likely get drafted to the NHL next season, he just has so many offensive tools. His problem is his size. He is a better version of Stratis when healthy. The Levin thing I have heard some truth to as well so I can give you that. We can put Nizhnikov with either Murray or Byfield or just stack it and go all 3 together.

Edit: hockieguy, I must ask because I've been going back through posts just to find some answers, are you and northernhockeyguy the same person? Just curious

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
would like to see the wolves hire Druce who’s proven to be a winner in ojhl or Williamson who’s made some OHL finals while not missing playoffs in a dozen seasons

cub

Apr 11, 2012
any idea if Minnesota Wild will sign Dmitry Sokolov? I think he deserves to be signed, after seeing lesser players in my opinion get signed.

Taboo

Apr 24, 2018
I read earlier that the wolves have no one to protect the young guys if it came down to it .....wouldn't it be something if the wolves could pluck a player ....oh say giavani Smith from the Kitchener rangers as one of their overagers ....but in the same thought one of the 2018 boys may surprise come training camp ...just a thought

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I read earlier that the wolves have no one to protect the young guys if it came down to it .....wouldn't it be something if the wolves could pluck a player ....oh say giavani Smith from the Kitchener rangers as one of their overagers ....but in the same thought one of the 2018 boys may surprise come training camp ...just a thought

Wouldn't he play in the AHL next season?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Twitter : Solid day for Sudbury Wolves prospects to open OHL Gold Cup yesterday. Quinton Byfield with a goal, Jack Thompson and Kyle Aucoin with assists, Giordano Biondi with a goal, two helpers. Action continues this afternoon

Glad to see Aucoin. I'll mention it again, there will be a few returing players whom will not wear a wolves jersey this season.

Last edited:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Twitter : Solid day for Sudbury Wolves prospects to open OHL Gold Cup yesterday. Quinton Byfield with a goal, Jack Thompson and Kyle Aucoin with assists, Giordano Biondi with a goal, two helpers. Action continues this afternoon

Glad to see Aucoin. I'll mention it again, there will be a few returing players whom will not wear a wolves jersey this season.
I don't question what you are saying however I would prefer to see them against 18, 19 and 20 year olds before I get too enthusiastic.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I don't question what you are saying however I would prefer to see them against 18, 19 and 20 year olds before I get too enthusiastic.

I realize that. I'm just saying in general some returning might be moved, relased (like last season) due to management trying to upgrade talent. Camp should be fun.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Congrats to Hamilton! The defensive core really made the difference. Hopefully Sudbury sees this and builds up our backend. What a great series.

vouve

Dec 8, 2015
and who's in charge of the hammer back end......

oof. belichick himself!

3 shots of scope quick!!! 1! 2! 3!

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Congrats to Hamilton! The defensive core really made the difference. Hopefully Sudbury sees this and builds up our backend. What a great series.
It was a great series, the better team won.
You may know this but Hamilton was built from trades, 13 trades were made this season vs 4 for SSM

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
It was a great series, the better team won.
You may know this but Hamilton was built from trades, 13 trades were made this season vs 4 for SSM
Yes I am aware. I am not knocking SSM. My point is Sudbury needs to be in the business of up grading the backend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->