Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
And what have I divulged or spoken of you deem as unprofessional? I have not ridiculed anyone, any player, or spoken ill words towards anyone. Other than stating an experienced opinion regarding certain players. Either way, I love what I do, we get to be on the ice with upcoming great players, some already on their way, who in most cases are great people. Yet I post on here and endure hostility from individuals that like yourself.

But, I understand where that comes from, and have encountered it many times before. This is not knew to me, my partner or any other hockey person that has posted on sites like this. But, tomorrow when I go to work, I get to put on skates, grab a stick and gloves and that is awesome.

FYI- The goalie Ranger signed with Mississauga. Wolves could've had him...

I'm sorry but I don't believe anything in which you speak of. Again, my apologies.

Last edited:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
You said some crap about the Pilons, and then Byfield and another kid not showing up to training camp.

I personally know Joe Ranger family, he got picked prior to when we picked our goalie, so another story you are making up.

What I said about the Pilons was they aren't OA material, which I still believe, and that Byfield was not going to show for the camp as he was going to attend the OHL Gold Cup practices scheduled the same weekend. But he chose to go to the camp instead. That is not crap, that is an opinion and Byfield was a choice.

Question for you: How am I making up that Ranger issue is a story? The Wolves could've had him as there was 62 picks ahead of him, some of which would have been the Wolves picks. So, it is not a made up story, that is fact. They opted NOT to take him when they could have.

There is a difference in fact versus opinion. It is also "interesting" that you know the family. That sounds a little like BS to me....

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I'm sorry but I don't believe anything in which you speak of. Again, my apologies.

How much you want to wager I know the family? Ranger was selected at in 4th round at 63 pick. Our 4th round pick was at 78, Ranger was already gone. Our pick prior was 3rd round at 46, this was too high for Ranger to be picked at, and we drafted a good prospect in Butler. Ranger also got passed up by all OHL teams in 3rd round. Again, you make total BS stories, give it up.

I don't believe anything you say cub. I still call BS on Rangers family. I know how the picks were ordered. Why would you think that 46 was too soon? Maybe you read that somewhere? The Battalion took Vrbetic with their 31st pick. They picked smart, Propp is getting ready to move on so they picked a quality goalie early. Good teams start with great goaltending. The "way too early" to be picked is BS. Ranger will start the year in Missy. Sudbury drafted goalies yes, but are they quality goalies? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think they fixed the hole in the goal.

Question: are your eyes brown?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Hockey Guy you posted you were not going to post for 3YEARS after you were questioned about supposedly seeing Byfield play 13 times. What happened? Are you sure you are not the son of you know who?:nod:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Hockey Guy you posted you were not going to post for 3YEARS after you were questioned about supposedly seeing Byfield play 13 times. What happened? Are you sure you are not the son of you know who?:nod:

I have no interest in what you say, yes I am the son of my dad and I know him. Are you the son of you know who?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Wrong. didn't. FYI- Don't post anyone's names on here without their permission.

She never grew up on Ethelbert then did she. It would be St. Louis and Los Angeles, then Nova Scotia.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I'm not going to divulge that so you can start a smear campaign, you already posted her brothers names online. Anyway. you win, your the man.

My predictions still stands:

1. One of the Pilons will be gone before Christmas.
2. The Wolves won't make the playoffs, or just squeak in.
3. Pilon twins wont score more than 10 each if they're around.

We have a wing and beer bet. And I will collect, or buy if that is called for.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Ranger wasn't the goalie the Wolves were hoping to get anyway. I think if the Petes didn't draft Austin out of the Ottawa area that may have been the guy the Wolves took in the 3rd or 4th. Plan B may have been Butler. Regardless things don't always go as planned in the draft and I think in the 3rd the Wolves adjusted their strategy. I don't think Ranger was in the Wolves plans anyway.

WJ

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Ranger wasn't the goalie the Wolves were hoping to get anyway. I think if the Petes didn't draft Austin out of the Ottawa area that may have been the guy the Wolves took in the 3rd or 4th. Plan B may have been Butler. Regardless things don't always go as planned in the draft and I think in the 3rd the Wolves adjusted their strategy. I don't think Ranger was in the Wolves plans anyway.

WJ

Maybe not.... but I don't think they solved the goalie issues with who they picked.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Strength the D and McGrath will be just fine. Malik was a go to guy with the Czechs at the under 18, was on the ice in all crucial situations. Looks to be a shoe in for the Wolves. Pick another strong D in the import draft and goal tending will improve immensely.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Strength the D and McGrath will be just fine. Malik was a go to guy with the Czechs at the under 18, was on the ice in all crucial situations. Looks to be a shoe in for the Wolves. Pick another strong D in the import draft and goal tending will improve immensely.

I agree with this, I think defenceman is the best course of action at this very moment. However when we do go for our run, we may need to improve the goalie situation, assuming that McGrath hasn’t had a break out season yet, but as most of us know, goalies develop later, so he could still hit his stride and be the guy we decide to go with.

Go Wolves Go!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree with this, I think defenceman is the best course of action at this very moment. However when we do go for our run, we may need to improve the goalie situation, assuming that McGrath hasn’t had a break out season yet, but as most of us know, goalies develop later, so he could still hit his stride and be the guy we decide to go with.

Go Wolves Go!

problem is, who do you get? its not like there's 25 bonified ohl goalies out there. there may be 3/4 that are in the 'top end' group, after that alot of jake mcrath's, ability but unproven.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The Pilons helped bring out the best in Murray this year. I can see them both hitting 20 no problem next year depending who they play with. I think that, unless someone can really prove otherwise in camp, that their performance will be crucial to our success next season. They are the kind of players that will help make star players feel more comfortable. They were very active with the young guys during the rookie weekend a few weeks back and they are players the city can rally behind as well. With the way the team has been for years I think that if we let them go we'd lose more fans yet again. I know people that came out for them, and they really appeal to the younger crowd. Fans and players alike could very well take it poorly if they are let go. Also better OAs will cost us, I mean really who would we go after? Pezzetta? We let both him and O'Grady get moved at the deadline. I think that shows who we want because we would have kept those two instead of certain other players if that was the plan and yet we kept the Pilons. I'd be much happier to move Levin for something then let the Pilons go.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
personally i think they need to learn to play smarter and limit the bad penalties,but keeping them is better then buying average 98s off other teams for draft picks that they have done in the past. only question you have to ask is if your not winning next year (which you probably aernt), is it better to keep the pilons or to keep a 2000 like baker around?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
personally i think they need to learn to play smarter and limit the bad penalties,but keeping them is better then buying average 98s off other teams for draft picks that they have done in the past. only question you have to ask is if your not winning next year (which you probably aernt), is it better to keep the pilons or to keep a 2000 like baker around?
I've been debating this with myself for a while now and in my opinion it's just more beneficial to give young guys something to look at and give the coaches someone to point at. They've worked hard, they're not just crash and bang guys like they were when we got them, they're real leaders now. They were much more disciplined last year then the year before and I'm hoping the improvement continues into this year. Like I said previously, it comes down to who impresses at camp. If we find a gem then I agree it's better to release them but they do have their use, and I much prefer that to buying from other teams. Hopefully those days are over.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Here is another view point to at least consider. It may not seem as right but worth considering.

Last year the team finished last, I think in the entire CHL. That being said, they traded away, Sokolov, Pezzetta. Rhodes and Blaisdel aged out so they're gone too. Whos left on the backend to really step up to the next level? I can't see Ross or Serenstis being those guys, nor do I see Stratis making a difference either. They really didn't replace the guys they lost or the Wolves would have improved, they didn't. Now the team starts the new year with basically the same core of players and goal tending from the end of the season. What has improved? The first three picks are good, but after that, nothing is fore sure. What is left to make this team a playoff contender? Not much really. It will be a really tough year. I do like Malik but I'm afraid he is a band aid, and the Wolves would probably have to give Levin away anyway. I also heard that Levin has to return to Israel if he isn't drafted in the first three rounds and last check he isn't rated at all. Even if the Wolves have a great import draft, it wont be enough.

Another interesting dilemma for this team is Byfield himself. Who will play with him? This kid will be in the NHL at 18, so if that happens, look at the team and think if that's anywhere near a team to make a run at anything. The Wolves have two years of Byfield before he is gone to make something happen. I don't see it happening this year at all.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
A lot ifs here. You don't think every team faces the same problem! Give the chance for our defence to start the year. Who knows how they will work over the summer. Extra leadership that they will take on training camp. Add one guy through trade and they will be a pretty solid group. I do think they have enough weapons to make the playoffs next year. The pessimistic view of this team is really annoying. They had a very good draft. They have a strong group returning and they all play for each other. A trade, import and a little luck with an American or free agent and this team is going to be very hard to beat IMO. Let's be positive.

WJ

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Hockieguy says he works with a player on this team and then proceeds to cut up most forwards. You should go back to your decision of not posting. I feel our biggest concern is on defense. My feeling is that improving the d will improve Jake's confidence and performance in net. I don't see any issue with any forwards playing with Byfield. He is very good but he is young and will believe it or not have a lot to adjust to. He has not been hit by 19 year olds over and over again. Hockieguy sounds like a kid sometimes when I read his posts. I question his even being on this site based in his so called position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad