Sudbury Wolves 2017 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
agree with your assessment of O'Grady. I feel like we are being sold on his abilities and he is not a #1 d yet.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well, not a real #1 :)
But, is Wilkie (the one some want to run out of town) the #1 on this team? Papineau has to at least get one more as good as these two; so that, the three pairings are ok.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Well, not a real #1 :)
But, is Wilkie (the one some want to run out of town) the #1 on this team? Papineau has to at least get one more as good as these two; so that, the three pairings are ok.

Wilkie certainly doesn't lack confidence :)

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
O'Grady is a strong defensive #2 IMO. An Adam Larsson-type player at the junior level. I think calling him a second pairing/#4 dman is just being negative for the sake of being negative.

Dude was +8 last year. That's shocking all things considered.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I didn't see any posts suggesting O'Grady as #4 D. The wolves could certainly upgrade #1; but, it probably won't happen this season. A #3 type to play with O'Grady and drop Wilkie to 2nd pairing with Rhodes could & should happen, though. Then, the 3rd pairing of Ali and Malik would look good

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
Makkonen and Rhodes were D partners last year for many of the 28 games Makkonen played. I could see them starting as a pair together.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Makkonen and Rhodes were D partners last year for many of the 28 games Makkonen played. I could see them starting as a pair together.

Rhodes probably played a bit with him and Quinn. But, I doubt Makkonen played much more than a few minutes per game. McFadden & Merkley played a ton. The import and Rhodes played much more after Carrol was dealt, followed by Quinn, then Makkonen and a couple others.
Makkonen can hopefully contribute similarly to Ali last season; and, maybe grow into a bigger role next season.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
You won't have any defenseman on this roster playing nearly as much as Capobianco did last year. With the group they have, the coaches should spread out special team responsibilities within the group with O' Grady getting the most playing time overall. Probably see Ali on the PP while Rhodes and Makkonen stick to the PK. Malik, Wilkie (or other OA defense upgrade) and Serentis will do a little bit of everything. Cant wait to see the group play under a new system.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
What would it take to get Stillman out of Oshawa?

you may not like this but I would take This years 1st rd pick Blake Murray,
Zach Wilkie, 2nd and 3rd. Cory is and is going to be a big part for the Generals this season, and the return that I said maybe not enough.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
O'Grady is a strong defensive #2 IMO. An Adam Larsson-type player at the junior level. I think calling him a second pairing/#4 dman is just being negative for the sake of being negative.

Dude was +8 last year. That's shocking all things considered.

Not negative at all. Has O'Grady done anything in his OHL career to indicate that he is a first pairing. I don't believe he has and that is based on what I have seen and what most hockey people may think. I really hope he establishes himself as one. But time will tell. And he doesn't have a lot of it to prove that he is a first pairing as the Wolves will be leaning on him early on for big minutes and some solid play.

So not negative for the sake of being negative but more a realist. Thats all:nod:

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Early stab at the dept chart,

Levin Valentini Sokolov
Carson Pezzetta Baker
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Tabek Murray Gilhula
Lane Roach McConville

Malik OGrady
Makkonen Rhodes
Ali Wilkie
Ross Serentis
Phillips

McGrath
Frappier

I think we see the year start out like this but obviously we see two D being sent down. As well two F being sent down or a deal to make room. I don't like seeing Lane out of the line up but it may happen as you won't see Tabek and Murray sitting. I really hope Gilhula shows more strength this season. Otherwise a bigger and more gritty McConville and Baker should be two natural right wingers who make the opening day roster. Roach should make this team. He is a skilled forward and had a tremendous year in the minor league last year. Should be interesting to see what happens but with a draft cupboard back on track and additional players that could play in the league I wonder if we make a two for one type deal for a solid Dman. Unless of course Sammullson reports.

WJ

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Early stab at the dept chart,

Levin Valentini Sokolov
Carson Pezzetta Baker
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Tabek Murray Gilhula
Lane Roach McConville

Malik OGrady
Makkonen Rhodes
Ali Wilkie
Ross Serentis
Phillips

McGrath
Frappier

I think we see the year start out like this but obviously we see two D being sent down. As well two F being sent down or a deal to make room. I don't like seeing Lane out of the line up but it may happen as you won't see Tabek and Murray sitting. I really hope Gilhula shows more strength this season. Otherwise a bigger and more gritty McConville and Baker should be two natural right wingers who make the opening day roster. Roach should make this team. He is a skilled forward and had a tremendous year in the minor league last year. Should be interesting to see what happens but with a draft cupboard back on track and additional players that could play in the league I wonder if we make a two for one type deal for a solid Dman. Unless of course Sammullson reports.

WJ

WJ in fine form ready for the season.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Iwould have Lane on off wing before I would ever have Guilhula in there. No comparison. Let's not rehash last year or base lines on seniority. Let's create lines that put talent where it should be.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Iwould have Lane on off wing before I would ever have Guilhula in there. No comparison. Let's not rehash last year or base lines on seniority. Let's create lines that put talent where it should be.

Agreed, I would put Lane in there over Gilhula. I only put it as such because of how I think the Brass is leading itself. They really like Gilhula and he has been up for a while helping out at the camp. Tabek and our first rounder were signed and provided room to get into the line up when they let go of Dunda and dealt Lazer. Those are my thoughts. But yes Lane if in shape should be in there some where. But my money has him being dealt at some point in a package deal for another Dman.

For instance say Lane, Ali and Baker with a 2nd in 2018, 2021 Erie's 2nd and a 3rd of Erie's for Lodnia and Sambrook and a 4th to Sudbury. I think we need to make a big splash with some quality vet players and we have some assets to do it. That way we can allow McConville, Gilhula, more time to develop behind Lodnia and Sokolov. Also we create room for Hucthison and Roach. Just something to think about.

This kind of deal will make Sudbury a serious contender in the East.

WJ

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Love the idea of Sambrook; especially if he has an OA season in him. You can send all of Roach, Hutcheson, McConville, Makkonen & picks. Keep Ali for three more seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->