Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Crappy day outside in Sudbury and crappy day in HF boards Sudbury Wolves thread. Come on folks you can all do better than this today. Give me something to howl for.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Crappy day outside in Sudbury and crappy day in HF boards Sudbury Wolves thread. Come on folks you can all do better than this today. Give me something to howl for.

WJ
Well this might not be an exciting topic to howl for but anyone have any update on the injuries?

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Good morning Wolves fans. Just wondering when Sokolov leaves for the team Russia camp? Hoping to get to watch him this week.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I think there is a slight chance Soko plays Friday however after that he is gone. If he isn't playing Sudbury will be missing a few players this weekend vs a very loaded Hamilton team.

WJ

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Read the star today about our former coach coming back to town. I sense some bitterness in some of his chosen words. I could be wrong. Anyway I agree w the decision not bringing him back and so far I believe Stillman is a better fit.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Read the star today about our former coach coming back to town. I sense some bitterness in some of his chosen words. I could be wrong. Anyway I agree w the decision not bringing him back and so far I believe Stillman is a better fit.
Really?? Not sure we read the same article. He had nothing but praise for the city. A win Friday would be an upset against a team that is pretty loaded. Maybe he's a better fit as an associate coach than as a head coach. To many (including myself) he was too much of a players coach and the team had no discipline whatsoever.

I guess the crickets to my question about the status of our injuries indicates nobody knows anything? Too bad we don't have any insiders on here like in years past.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
OGrady and Pezzetta will not be around until after the Christmas break. Rhodes might be available this weekend. Levin out until after the break. Baker should be good to go. Soko will play Friday not sure about the road game in Missy.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
OGrady and Pezzetta will not be around until after the Christmas break. Rhodes might be available this weekend. Levin out until after the break. Baker should be good to go. Soko will play Friday not sure about the road game in Missy.

WJ
I take it you know this from a source? Funny Pezetta looked fine after the hit. O'Grady I can see. Levin has been out for awhile for a guy that was originally supposed to be out a couple of weeks. Would be nice to have Soko Friday at least. What about Tabak? Apparently he wasn't playing Sunday.

Mikehabs11

Dec 5, 2017
Niznhikov named to the CHL top prospects game

Should be a great confidence boost for the kid .. not that he needs it after that 6 pt wknd .. but having just been dealt, I’m sure he wasn’t feeling the greatest about his plummeting draft ranking.

Hopefully this fires up Levin as well. He has no business being invited to this game the way he has played in his O career so far IMO, but I’m sure he couldn’t have envisioned a world where he wouldn’t be at this game just based on his skill alone.

Having said that, I really like how he played right before his injury though and could see him climb the draft rankings to at least a B prospect (with an outside shot at a low A) with a strong 2nd half (he’s currently a C last I checked).

A lot at steak individually for the 2nd half. Any projections ?

Will Pez and Sok earn ELCs?

Will Ogrady and Carson get drafted the second time around?

Can Niz and Levin be as high as 2nd-4th round picks ?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Should be a great confidence boost for the kid .. not that he needs it after that 6 pt wknd .. but having just been dealt, I’m sure he wasn’t feeling the greatest about his plummeting draft ranking.

Hopefully this fires up Levin as well. He has no business being invited to this game the way he has played in his O career so far IMO, but I’m sure he couldn’t have envisioned a world where he wouldn’t be at this game just based on his skill alone.

Having said that, I really like how he played right before his injury though and could see him climb the draft rankings to at least a B prospect (with an outside shot at a low A) with a strong 2nd half (he’s currently a C last I checked).

A lot at steak individually for the 2nd half. Any projections ?

Will Pez and Sok earn ELCs?

Will Ogrady and Carson get drafted the second time around?

Can Niz and Levin be as high as 2nd-4th round picks ?

I wish I could say yes to ogrady and carson it with the injuries this season they haven't really had a chance to showcase themselves and so it will take a real strong second half for them. I wouldn't however be surprised in the least of pez and sok earning elcs because many teams in the NHL have the means of working with them to fix their shortcomings. I can see Niz being at best a mid secondrounder but id more expect a early to midthird rounder depending on his second half whereas levin should he come back hot is more expect a late third but if he's really strong a late second. Also Hutchison has really impressed me and I could see a team taking a flyer on him, same goes for Malik, though he has been less impressive and I'd like to see him on the PP more often

Mikehabs11

Dec 5, 2017
I wish I could say yes to ogrady and carson it with the injuries this season they haven't really had a chance to showcase themselves and so it will take a real strong second half for them. I wouldn't however be surprised in the least of pez and sok earning elcs because many teams in the NHL have the means of working with them to fix their shortcomings. I can see Niz being at best a mid secondrounder but id more expect a early to midthird rounder depending on his second half whereas levin should he come back hot is more expect a late third but if he's really strong a late second. Also Hutchison has really impressed me and I could see a team taking a flyer on him, same goes for Malik, though he has been less impressive and I'd like to see him on the PP more often

Good call on Hutch and Malik . I could see a camp invite for Hutch, but don’t think he has enough upside to be drafted IMO. As for Malik, hard to say what he will be. I could see a team take a flyer on him, but it comes with risk . He’s still got so much growth left in his game,
but the upside is there. It’s been a bit of a roller coaster ride for him this season, as should be expected for a first year import d man, but I have liked his game recently. He’s ranked 99th in hockey futures.

Reactions: hockeynorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hutcheson is mostly based on upside. His ceiling is very though imo. Malik, idk; maybe, 7th round pick.

Mikehabs11

Dec 5, 2017
Barrie all in now with Luchuk addition, and the likeliness of Svesh/Lipi being one and dones . Looks good for the Wolves next year if they play the deadline correctly and take the best deal for Sok / Pezz / Pilons .

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Barrie all in now with Luchuk addition, and the likeliness of Svesh/Lipi being one and dones . Looks good for the Wolves next year if they play the deadline correctly and take the best deal for Sok / Pezz / Pilons .
Time to sell is now, with Niz seemingly revitalized here in Sudbury he could be our stud next year, pick up a high draft pick and sell assists for more young parts and boy we could be off to the races next year. Missy loosing players, Barrie loosing players. The division will be weak and with some young guys we could be real strong for years to come.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Hutcheson is mostly based on upside. His ceiling is very though imo. Malik, idk; maybe, 7th round pick.
I personally love hutchesons upside he just hasn't been showcased enough yet and mark my words Malik has lots more to give then what we have seen so far.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I still have doubts the Wolves will deal but again we'll see. You guys might be in for a surprise. I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: i luvallsports

Mikehabs11

Dec 5, 2017
I still have doubts the Wolves will deal but again we'll see. You guys might be in for a surprise. I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense but I wouldn't be on it.

Oh I don’t think they will sell as much as we are talking about either. I just think it would be even more of a missed opportunity now if they don’t based on what Barrie has done and what Missy likely won’t agree to do (sell).

We can only hope a lesson was learned last year by keeping Capo for the sake of a playoff berth

Reactions: hockeynorth

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Oh I don’t think they will sell as much as we are talking about either. I just think it would be even more of a missed opportunity now if they don’t based on what Barrie has done and what Missy likely won’t agree to do (sell).

We can only hope a lesson was learned last year by keeping Capo for the sake of a playoff berth
I agree but I guess it comes down to several factors, including how bad they want playoff hockey and perhaps most importantly, how good the offers are. You can be sure the phone is ringing.

Reactions: i luvallsports

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What’s your ideal deadline look like?
Well I suppose I could be accused of wanting my cake and eating it too to an extent since I really would like to see some playoff hockey as the fans have had so little to cheer about for what seems like an eternity.

However there is no way I would like to see the future compromised in any way for a few playoff games either (like last year).

If we could tweak and have a chance at a couple of rounds that would be great but if the offers are good enough we should deal Soks at least for sure. After that I'm not sure as who's to say Pez couldn't be an OA etc.

As far as the OA's I'm not sure what they're going to do. When exactly is the deadline as perhaps by then they will know more. It's frustrating because halfway through the season we still don't know how the team would perform with a full lineup. Also the East still seems somewhat open so there are many factors. Ultimately no matter what I want the team to remain competitive for the remainder of the year and not "tank" as they say. Many of us have been loyal fans and spent a ton of money on the team over the years.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There doesn’t have to be a big sell. But, Lajuenesse (has) to go; and, Sokolov really should be traded. That’s all that really needs to be done.

The wolves have more F than they can play; and next season more rookies; so, I’d like to see McConville & [Baker - (much, much rather have OA twins next season forming a terrific 3rd line)] along with Rhodes traded and those assets with some of those from Sokolov put towards a 16-18 yr old D.

I think Candella & O’Grady, twins & Pezzetta (unless very good offers) should be kept. With those guys, the wolves could stay competitive. Papineau can sort out/trade excess OA in the off-season.

Mikehabs11

Dec 5, 2017
Agree with both of you that Sok deal needs to get done as I see no chance of him returning as an OA. He will either sign ELC and go to AHL Iowa (like he did last year after OHL season) or he signs in Russia. I’d lean towards an ELC, since the Wild have already utilized him on their farm team.

Actual deadline is Jan 10 (Jan 9 for OAs). So this Friday could actually be his last game if he makes Russian WJC squad (long shot IMO, but you never know. He looked great in Suds for OHL Russia game)

Anyways , in my perfect scenerio I’d like to see Sok moved to highest bid. Would love to see him in SSM and they have an OA spot . Hopefully return the picks we spent on Niz.

Secondly, I’d like to see Laj and the Pilons get us a return as well. I don’t think there is much of a market for Laj, but the twins should get a small return . As a fan, I really hate selling the twins as I love their tenacity, heart, and work ethic. Having said that, they are 3rd line talents. Useful? Yes of course . They change the momentum of games. For me, it just keeps coming down to talent. When they play up in the lineup, they have a tough time stringing together passes and thinking one step ahead with the elite talent. I just can’t see the 2018-19 Wolves be successful if 2 of your 3 OAs per night are 3rd line grinders.

And lastly, I would listen on Pezzetta but would only move him if the offer is too good to refuse . With the growth and leadership he has already shown this season, I think he could be one of the best OAs in the entire league next year. I also don’t see the Habs in a hurry to sign him as he still has room to grow in this league.

I’d hold on D. We have spent way to much to acquire Veteran OA D in last 2 years . It would be refreshing to use the ones we already have on our roster and I think next years crop is strong enough to support the young core behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->