Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It was said that I was unrealistic to expect no worse than 6th in the eastern conference.
Now in 9th, some are suggesting mortgage the future to over take Hamilton and Barrie & Petes which will inevitably add?
Can Miss afford to forego playoff gates by selling off players?
I would hope Sokolov brings in picks, at least; which, can be used to enhance a good nucleus of OA, 2000 born, and Levin, Carson, & Bulitka who will be 19.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
its about accessing talent on the team, the only reason we are in 9th was due to injuries and goaltending. We have addressed the goaltending with Culina, we picked up Nizhinov hugh bonus. We have 5 OT losses, we played on most part with a depleted roster and in majority of games. Barrie and Peterborough we have played tough. Hamilton to me is only ligit team out Eastern conference. if we can pick up some help without giving up much i think we have good chance in playoffs.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Being Nizhnikov;s draft year you would have to believe that his agent would have to have had some insight into what direction the Wolves would be heading for the remainder of this season. I don't believe he would have agreed to come here if they were going to be sellers. Contending teams would have been his first choice if they were going to be trading key players. For this reason Sokolov could be going nowhere. With a healthy team and goal tending they may feel they have enough to make a run in the east. One move landing Tippet or McLeod would put them in the drivers seat. Papeneau finds a way to make that happen his team now becomes a top six in the league.
We cannot too excited over the possible potential of this team with a healthy line up. We cannot make the mistake again as in the case last year where Capobianco was not dealt at the deadline. If the Wolves made that deal last year and the return brought in additional picks and a good player then this season we would be in a different position. By not dealing Sokolov at least will be a mistake come next year.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think there is a chance for that Cub. I did expect 2nd round after Candella trade, right?
But, injuries & below par goal tending & bad luck...Barrie, Miss, NB, Peterborough, & Oshawa right done to the out of commission coach all have the same excuses as the wolves.
The conference is wide open, not easy.
How about this? If the sellers market is saturated, buy. Otherwise, hang on to very near future picks. Papineau re-stocked picks; but since, he used 2018 - 2nd, 2(3rds), 4th, picks.
There is still a 2nd, 3rd, 2(5ths); still ok.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Agreed with perhaps little going out via trade. As I mentioned before this group is about winning and putting butts in seats. Stillman hates to lose. Think he's going to sit back and watch what value we have in our players go down the drain. He's not built like that. Papineau local guy can you imagine the pressure trying build a team in this city who's starving for a winner. He must have sleepess nights. Big time pressure.

I keep hearing trade him, get this back in return, we will have a b c moving forward etc etc. Funny thing is don't be surprised if there is little movement. Perhaps a tweak Any trade proposed trade that was mentioned on here never took place. Player's we thought had value was released. They made cubby happy w the trade w Barrie. Who would of thought
Let's just sit back and see how it unfolds and let the hockey folks run what there paid for
This has been my inclination as well (I said so some time ago) and this latest move seems to almost confirm this team is not looking to be sellers in any major way. The acquisition of Culina would seem to show the team is leaning in that direction as well. A tweak perhaps but based on what I'm seeing (and what I've heard) there will be no sell off, unless of course Papineau can get everyone on board and this offer is just too good but don't count on it.
Given this missing the playoffs would be have to be considered a disaster so if anything some holes may be filled, so long as they don't jeopardize the future.

I watch every team regularly and to me as it stands now at least, the East is not that strong this year (with the potential exception of Hamilton who have obviously thrown their hat in the ring). Therefore get in the playoffs and who knows might be the thinking.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It was said that I was unrealistic to expect no worse than 6th in the eastern conference.
Now in 9th, some are suggesting mortgage the future to over take Hamilton and Barrie & Petes which will inevitably add?
Can Miss afford to forego playoff gates by selling off players?
I would hope Sokolov brings in picks, at least; which, can be used to enhance a good nucleus of OA, 2000 born, and Levin, Carson, & Bulitka who will be 19.
Ya, you don't want to lose the money from those large crowds. Might upset a few dozen fans.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Agreed with perhaps little going out via trade. As I mentioned before this group is about winning and putting butts in seats. Stillman hates to lose. Think he's going to sit back and watch what value we have in our players go down the drain. He's not built like that. Papineau local guy can you imagine the pressure trying build a team in this city who's starving for a winner. He must have sleepess nights. Big time pressure.

I keep hearing trade him, get this back in return, we will have a b c moving forward etc etc. Funny thing is don't be surprised if there is little movement. Perhaps a tweak Any trade proposed trade that was mentioned on here never took place. Player's we thought had value was released. They made cubby happy w the trade w Barrie. Who would of thought
Let's just sit back and see how it unfolds and let the hockey folks run what there paid for

The only time Papineau will have sleepless nights is when Zulichs cheques stop being deposited into his account until then I'm sure the entire management team sleeps very well. Sudbury will make deals at the deadline and will continue to build for next season with the hopes of making it in a round or two this year. I believe the Wolves get the entire gate for the first two games of the playoffs where as in years past they were included in the season ticket package. So it is important they make it in the playoffs but don't expect a big push. Doing the right thing this year will allow this team to be a top 4 team in the league next year. And that will mean an extended playoff run. With the two player cards that remain I expect the Wolves to find a quality 18 year old and possibly another 17 or 18 year old along with a couple of picks. They must ensure they have veteran team to start the season for the 2018-19 year. Then look for the Wolves to again make a push two years later when the new arena opens for the 2020-21 season.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The only time Papineau will have sleepless nights is when Zulichs cheques stop being deposited into his account until then I'm sure the entire management team sleeps very well. Sudbury will make deals at the deadline and will continue to build for next season with the hopes of making it in a round or two this year. I believe the Wolves get the entire gate for the first two games of the playoffs where as in years past they were included in the season ticket package. So it is important they make it in the playoffs but don't expect a big push. Doing the right thing this year will allow this team to be a top 4 team in the league next year. And that will mean an extended playoff run. With the two player cards that remain I expect the Wolves to find a quality 18 year old and possibly another 17 or 18 year old along with a couple of picks. They must ensure they have veteran team to start the season for the 2018-19 year. Then look for the Wolves to again make a push two years later when the new arena opens for the 2020-21 season.

WJ
Well ok, I said what I think is likely to happen but I'm not sure what your'e post means. What are you talking about when you say they will continue to deal? Do you mean they will deal vets or fill holes as I think is more likely. You said it would be a mistake not to move Sokolov so I'm not sure. Is that what you mean when you speak about the players they should ad? What do you they will give or should give for the players you speak of?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well ok, I said what I think is likely to happen but I'm not sure what your'e post means. What are you talking about when you say they will continue to deal? Do you mean they will deal vets or fill holes as I think is more likely. You said it would be a mistake not to move Sokolov so I'm not sure. Is that what you mean when you speak about the players they should ad? What do you they will give or should give for the players you speak of?

Not hard to figure out. Wolves will deal Sokolov, an overage and possibly one other 19 year old. They should get multiple picks back and at least one quality 18 year old player and maybe one other 17 year old player. Once all healthy I think they will still make the playoffs but only getting into one round. Its important for the organization to get that money for at least one round me thinks. They should be planning for a longer run next year hence getting assets to use next year. Don't know whats so hard to understand.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Not hard to figure out. Wolves will deal Sokolov, an overage and possibly one other 19 year old. They should get multiple picks back and at least one quality 18 year old player and maybe one other 17 year old player. Once all healthy I think they will still make the playoffs but only getting into one round. Its important for the organization to get that money for at least one round me thinks. They should be planning for a longer run next year hence getting assets to use next year. Don't know whats so hard to understand.

WJ
Okay well maybe but again I wouldn't count on it unless you know something the rest of us don't. According to you they will deal three key players which equals a major sell off. Again to me the recent moves show management is looking at having some success this year.
The reason I found it confusing is because in my mind there is very little probability the Wolves make the playoffs if as you believe they deal off Sokolov and other vets. In fact they're far from a lock even if they don't. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Nizhnikov trade should not be considered a push to make the playoffs. At a cost of four picks, the underperforming top ranked forward for the 2016 draft was a good risk for a last place team; especially, considering the wolves traded their 2016 - 2nd over all pick.
The wolves have to move one of four OA. And, they should try to get something for Sokolov. Soon there will be 14 F, are the wolves sitting a two F rotation of McConville, Tabak, Baker, Hutcheson, Gihula for the remainder of the season?
Probably not. Lajeunesse should be moved despite playing well; unless, a worthwhile offer for 17 yr olds come up.

Last edited:

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
congrats on McGrath play sunday kid was great now keep him trade culina and Sokolov and rhodes for picks and youger talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->