Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Significant time would be really bad for O’Grady and the wolves. During the last 6-8 games he was becoming that 1st round D the wolves paid 2,3,4,5 picks for.
Well man it looked real bad. Leg just should not bend that way, painful to look at. Was a push though, didn't look intentional or dirty. Oddly enough a Pete's player got hurt on a very similar play.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
2 more points tonight for nizhnikov, make it 5 in two games for him now. Really adding a spark.

Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Carson looked better as the game wore on. I think we have to give him some time. Missing that much time has got to have an effect.

Real proud of the boys tonight. Put up a hell of a fight against a team with well over ten points more than them, and with a depleted lineup to boot. If not for a few highlight reel saves from Helvig the Wolves get a point or two out of this one. Missing two top D and a top forward, it was still a gutsy effort.
Great game for Baker, who I've liked from the start. Malik with big minutes that will pay off in spades next year. Great game for Candella as well who would make an excellent OA.
New acquisition seems to have chemistry with Soks and they seem to really like each other. In fact the team seems pretty tight, I think this roadie regardless of the outcome has helped the team come closer.

Big hit on Pez by Murray (looked like maybe a head shot but no call) had the captain dazed as he fell trying to skate to the bench. He looked alright but didn't take another shift though he was right there on the bench for the third (sure hope he's ok because he's looking more and more the leader and impact player). Next faceoff who but Pilon (a fellow lefty) takes the guy on and gets the better of him though giving up size and height he avenges his captain and gets a handshake from Pez. Man I'm going to miss those guys. Culina again looking solid, be interesting to see if he starts again tomorrow, maybe because he's giving the team a chance to win every game. Hope they have something left in the tank as Ottawa has lost three straight so they may be ripe for the picking or really hungry. Go Wolves!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We need to get Carson going

Remove him from C. He is not a playmaker; nor, is he a shooter from the high slot.
It is Murray preferably, or Gihula that should be there to shoot loose pucks in the middle created by the twins.
I would at least try Carson with Baker. They can PK together; maybe, they find something together similar to Carson & Yak.

Reactions: NewWolvesFan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Back on track gentlemen :)
Well I don't know who watched the game but largely because of McGrath who was stellar. Maybe what he needed was to be pushed and to be hungry for the net because he played great. Good on him, consistency has been his problem. Also Lajeunesse had a great game, I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.
Pez didn't play, I'm not sure if it's because he had concussion symptoms or if it's protocol or just to be safe. Baker (who has been really good) got a late hit from behind and left the game, hopefully he's not added to the injury. list Really be nice to see some of the walking wounded return next weekend and hopefully after Christmas they can ice a full lineup as we've yet to see what a full lineup can do.

Reactions: HockeyHell

cub

Apr 11, 2012
it wasn't a pretty win the boys played hard to the end and persevered. McGrath played well, Nizhnikov, Murray scored timely goals. Picking up Nizhnikov is amazing that we were able to snag him 6 points in 3 games. Looks like Baker got rocked into the boards maybe out for awhile. it would be nice to have a full lineup this season, someone returns than someone else gets hurt, been story all season.

Reactions: hockeynorth

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
it wasn't a pretty win the boys played hard to the end and persevered. McGrath played well, Nizhnikov, Murray scored timely goals. Picking up Nizhnikov is amazing that we were able to snag him 6 points in 3 games. Looks like Baker got rocked into the boards maybe out for awhile. it would be nice to have a full lineup this season, someone returns than someone else gets hurt, been story all season.

This is why Cory deserves credit for keeping this team working hard despite injuries and the lack of wins.

Enjoy the ride home boys. You played well this w/e

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Anyone else excited so see what Niz and Levin can do together? I'm hoping he can finally help take Levin to that next level he looked to be heading towards before his injury.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I have been away but taped and watched the last three games. Excited by the latest addition to the team. Although Sokolov has been scoring he is just too lazy for me. If he is not traded and Levin is inserted into that line I worry about them getting scored on alot. Definitely cannot have rookie D out in combination with Sokolov as it leaves us quite vulnerable. Thoughts?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I have been away but taped and watched the last three games. Excited by the latest addition to the team. Although Sokolov has been scoring he is just too lazy for me. If he is not traded and Levin is inserted into that line I worry about them getting scored on alot. Definitely cannot have rookie D out in combination with Sokolov as it leaves us quite vulnerable. Thoughts?
That's the way it goes with these kind of players and his minus stats aren't that bad considering the ton of goals the Wolves have given up. Your'e not going to make a defensive player out of him and you wouldn't want to. You can teach him to be more defensively responsible but he is a scorer, a sniper. Very few players have the ability to do what he does and without him, good luck getting the same timely goals. He may have led to some defensive miscues but he also almost singlehandedly won us several games. It's a mistake to think you have to make a "complete player" out of every player. As far as having rookie d out there with him, not much choice when you're two top d are out of the lineup. He likes to score, he lives for it that's why he may seem less interested in the defensive aspect.

Reactions: Mikehabs11 and cub

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
That's the way it goes with these kind of players and his minus stats aren't that bad considering the ton of goals the Wolves have given up. Your'e not going to make a defensive player out of him and you wouldn't want to. You can teach him to be more defensively responsible but he is a scorer, a sniper. Very few players have the ability to do what he does and without him, good luck getting the same timely goals. He may have led to some defensive miscues but he also almost singlehandedly won us several games. It's a mistake to think you have to make a "complete player" out of every player. As far as having rookie d out there with him, not much choice when you're two top d are out of the lineup. He likes to score, he lives for it that's why he may seem less interested in the defensive aspect.
Well put....

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

and the reason he might or might not sign an NHL contract re: D responsibility

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I understand the value of a sniper but I don't like lazy players. So would you keep him to the end of the season or do you trade him looking for a defenseman now so you are not stuck with rookie d? Maybe we are at our limit for players? Maybe the hopes are with Culina we can make up for backend short comings? Maybe we have to keep Sokolov for the very reason he scores the timely goals? Curious to see when Levin is back what the dynamics will be.

Reactions: hockeynorth

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
The way Mississauga is playing they will be sellers dropping Sokolov's value greatly.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
and the reason he might or might not sign an NHL contract re: D responsibility

And if not signed he will be playing in Russia next season. His value is based on a half season in the OHL if he is to be traded. He will not be back as an overage. Papineau will need to still have a condition attached to any deal for him however I wouldn't bank on that condition coming through.

Not a bad weekend for the Wolves. Obviously the new addition has sparked some offensive punch to the line up with 6 points in his first three games with the Wolves. Also, awesome to see Murray get his 10th goal of the season. Love the fact that our first rounder is putting up decent points in the first half of the season. The Wolves now have two very strong 16 and 17 year old offensive players. Bodes well for the future of this club.

As for the games it was quite the grind this Eastern road swing. Wolves I feel took some liberties in the Petes game and were given a cheap call in OT. But getting a point on the road vs a strong team with some key injuries I will take any day of the week. Losing O'Grady stings. The Kingston game the Wolves deserved a point out of this game. They played very well however they needed to capitalize on the PP to get anything out of this game. Biggest loss was Pezzetta suffering a big blow to the head. It was nice to see Drake Pilon take a stand for his mate and take on Murray. It was a head shot and Pezzetta did not look good afterwards. Good thing the break is nearing. But overall I think Sudbury again should have gotten a point from this game. In Ottawa the Wolves played catch up all afternoon with a line up missing, Rhodes, Levin, Pezzetta, OGrady, and Tabek. Wasn't sure if anything would be left in the tank but surprisingly other players showed up today. Murray with two and Nizninikov with a beauty allowed this game to go into OT. Happy to see McGrath hold the fort and make some big stops in OT until Bulitka finally ended the shoot out. Coming home with a possible 3 of 6 points is what I think the team was at least hoping for and they managed to get it. I think they can be happy about it.

Much to work on this week before Friday's home game but I believe with icing a full line up this team could be dangerous. But we all know one overage player must be dealt soon and do the Wolves deal off a vet or two to stock up the draft cupboard again. Time will tell but finally Sudbury has some pure skill emerging on the forward top lines for the future. Will be interesting to see who plays with who the rest of the season.

Line up currently has,

Laguensse 20 Pezzetta 19 Carson 18 Gilhula 17 Murray 16
Rhodes 20 Sokolov 19 Levin 18 Baker 17 Tabek 16
Blaisdell 20 Pilon 19 Bulitka 18 Hutchison 17 Siau 16
Culina 20 Pilon 19 McGrath18 McConville 17 Ross 16
OGrady 19 Nizinikov 17
Candella 19 Serentis 17
Malik 17
Frappier 17

With the Wolves losing all of the over age players and only able to keep three 19 year old players next season what do you think they will do? It would make sense to deal two 19 year old players and obviously one overage to try and get a quality 18 year old in return or two at most as we only have two player cards remaining. Then next year the Wolves have 6 19 year olds returning and 8 18 year olds returning along with a possible 4 or 5 17 year olds(depending if they sign another '01 before the year is out) It would appear the Wolves make the run next season and you add in a quality 1st and 2nd round player. An import pick and you return two goalies in McGrath and Frappier. The over age players most likely to keep would be Candella, OGrady, Pezzetta. The wild card is if Samulesson camp decides to come over to the OHL after being an NHL draft pick. It is quite possible the Wolves only deal Sokolov and an overage prior to the deadline. Most likely seeking a quality 18 year as I had stated earlier. If you really look at the list above I think the Wolves could have made a run this year if they drafted better in the 99 drafted players. That year the Wolves missed on some very quality players. Instead the Wolves selected Lane, Garagan, and Ali in those first 5 rounds that didn't pan out. Looking at the draft results from that year and you can't help but being disappointed in the Wolves scouting. Lets hope that has changed now and that we can look at depth in our drafts similar to how the Soo Greyhounds have done.

WJ

Last edited:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
And if not signed he will be playing in Russia next season. His value is based on a half season in the OHL if he is to be traded. He will not be back as an overage. Papineau will need to still have a condition attached to any deal for him however I wouldn't bank on that condition coming through.

Not a bad weekend for the Wolves. Obviously the new addition has sparked some offensive punch to the line up with 6 points in his first three games with the Wolves. Also, awesome to see Murray get his 10th goal of the season. Love the fact that our first rounder is putting up decent points in the first half of the season. The Wolves now have two very strong 16 and 17 year old offensive players. Bodes well for the future of this club.

As for the games it was quite the grind this Eastern road swing. Wolves I feel took some liberties in the Petes game and were given a cheap call in OT. But getting a point on the road vs a strong team with some key injuries I will take any day of the week. Losing O'Grady stings. The Kingston game the Wolves deserved a point out of this game. They played very well however they needed to capitalize on the PP to get anything out of this game. Biggest loss was Pezzetta suffering a big blow to the head. It was nice to see Drake Pilon take a stand for his mate and take on Murray. It was a head shot and Pezzetta did not look good afterwards. Good thing the break is nearing. But overall I think Sudbury again should have gotten a point from this game. In Ottawa the Wolves played catch up all afternoon with a line up missing, Rhodes, Levin, Pezzetta, OGrady, and Tabek. Wasn't sure if anything would be left in the tank but surprisingly other players showed up today. Murray with two and Nizninikov with a beauty allowed this game to go into OT. Happy to see McGrath hold the fort and make some big stops in OT until Bulitka finally ended the shoot out. Coming home with a possible 3 of 6 points is what I think the team was at least hoping for and they managed to get it. I think they can be happy about it.

Much to work on this week before Friday's home game but I believe with icing a full line up this team could be dangerous. But we all know one overage player must be dealt soon and do the Wolves deal off a vet or two to stock up the draft cupboard again. Time will tell but finally Sudbury has some pure skill emerging on the forward top lines for the future. Will be interesting to see who plays with who the rest of the season.

Line up currently has,

Laguensse 20 Pezzetta 19 Carson 18 Gilhula 17 Murray 16
Rhodes 20 Sokolov 19 Levin 18 Baker 17 Tabek 16
Blaisdell 20 Pilon 19 Bulitka 18 Hutchison 17 Siau 16
Culina 20 Pilon 19 McGrath18 McConville 17 Ross 16
OGrady 19 Nizinikov 17
Candella 19 Serentis 17
Malik 17
Frappier 17

With the Wolves losing all of the over age players and only able to keep three 19 year old players next season what do you think they will do? It would make sense to deal two 19 year old players and obviously one overage to try and get a quality 18 year old in return or two at most as we only have two player cards remaining. Then next year the Wolves have 6 19 year olds returning and 8 18 year olds returning along with a possible 4 or 5 17 year olds(depending if they sign another '01 before the year is out) It would appear the Wolves make the run next season and you add in a quality 1st and 2nd round player. An import pick and you return two goalies in McGrath and Frappier. The over age players most likely to keep would be Candella, OGrady, Pezzetta. The wild card is if Samulesson camp decides to come over to the OHL after being an NHL draft pick. It is quite possible the Wolves only deal Sokolov and an overage prior to the deadline. Most likely seeking a quality 18 year as I had stated earlier. If you really look at the list above I think the Wolves could have made a run this year if they drafted better in the 99 drafted players. That year the Wolves missed on some very quality players. Instead the Wolves selected Lane, Garagan, and Ali in those first 5 rounds that didn't pan out. Looking at the draft results from that year and you can't help but being disappointed in the Wolves scouting. Lets hope that has changed now and that we can look at depth in our drafts similar to how the Soo Greyhounds have done.

WJ
Agree with you on the 99 draft. I think drafting so many forwards that were left shots was just bad decision making. Add to that the coach that was in place for those two years you basically didn't develop them so it hurt the team and the players. That is the crucial difference this year. This coach develops players. It may hurt in the short term but it is definitely what needed to happen.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Agree with you on the 99 draft. I think drafting so many forwards that were left shots was just bad decision making. Add to that the coach that was in place for those two years you basically didn't develop them so it hurt the team and the players. That is the crucial difference this year. This coach develops players. It may hurt in the short term but it is definitely what needed to happen.

im glad you see it now, i have total faith in this coaching staff, they will make some mistakes but they are doing the right thing in developing players. We really have to credit the moves Papineau made up to this point aswell, especially picking up Nizhnikov and convincing him to come to Sudbury was great sales job and it seems to rejuvenated his career.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Being Nizhnikov;s draft year you would have to believe that his agent would have to have had some insight into what direction the Wolves would be heading for the remainder of this season. I don't believe he would have agreed to come here if they were going to be sellers. Contending teams would have been his first choice if they were going to be trading key players. For this reason Sokolov could be going nowhere. With a healthy team and goal tending they may feel they have enough to make a run in the east. One move landing Tippet or McLeod would put them in the drivers seat. Papeneau finds a way to make that happen his team now becomes a top six in the league.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Being Nizhnikov;s draft year you would have to believe that his agent would have to have had some insight into what direction the Wolves would be heading for the remainder of this season. I don't believe he would have agreed to come here if they were going to be sellers. Contending teams would have been his first choice if they were going to be trading key players. For this reason Sokolov could be going nowhere. With a healthy team and goal tending they may feel they have enough to make a run in the east. One move landing Tippet or McLeod would put them in the drivers seat. Papeneau finds a way to make that happen his team now becomes a top six in the league.

Agreed with perhaps little going out via trade. As I mentioned before this group is about winning and putting butts in seats. Stillman hates to lose. Think he's going to sit back and watch what value we have in our players go down the drain. He's not built like that. Papineau local guy can you imagine the pressure trying build a team in this city who's starving for a winner. He must have sleepess nights. Big time pressure.

I keep hearing trade him, get this back in return, we will have a b c moving forward etc etc. Funny thing is don't be surprised if there is little movement. Perhaps a tweak Any trade proposed trade that was mentioned on here never took place. Player's we thought had value was released. They made cubby happy w the trade w Barrie. Who would of thought
Let's just sit back and see how it unfolds and let the hockey folks run what there paid for

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
looking at the East, i might be crazy but if we can pick up a couple more players like another Defenceman and Forward. Rhodes, Levin, O'Grady, Pezzetta return healthy we can make some noise in playoffs. i would like Papineau to go after Riley Stillman from Oshawa or another veteran defenceman. The team as played well against top teams, with some extra help we maybe able to turn it around. The Eastern Conference to me is still up for grabs, we have beaten Barrie, Kingston, Niagara, etc. If Papineau does more magic it can turn around quick for the Wolves.

Reactions: Mikehabs11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad