Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
This deal solves some issues with having to release a forward since I'd assume Valentini is now going to be dropped from the roster as expected with a season ending injury. So moving forward the line up will look something like this,

Levin Lagunesse Sokolov
Carson Pezzetta Gilhula
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Hutchison Murray Baker
Tabek McConville

I think if Sudbury can find another right winner to play the second line and give up on Gilhula then it would be a strong line up for the remainder of the year.

Defensively we still need another player with some playoff experience to come in. A depth guy at the deadline.

Candella OGrady
Blaisdell Rhodes
Malik ?
Ross

Serentis should be sent down for regular development. If our GM can get two more pieces without having to sacrifice or mortgage the future then we should be in a better position to turn the season around and get into the playoffs. Would be nice for Sudbury to climb as high as 4th in the conference but that will only happen if we can get this roster sorted out soon. Carson to regain form quickly after his return. And for McGrath to start playing better. Time will tell what this team will do but I hope they make this year something to cheer about. I can't see next season being a banner year unless Sudbury deals Sokolov, Pezzetta and Candella at the deadline and gets some intriguing 18 year olds and sophomore players in return.

WJ
Sounds a lot like what I posted about trying for a compromise in terms of being competitive this year without mortgaging the future. Judging by this latest move it's seems that might be what Papineau intends to try to do. I'm not sure how deep a run you think is possible though. For me, I have come around to realize there is simply way too much youth on this team to expect it to go far this year.

Making the playoffs is the humble goal I think the team should strive for. This puts the team in somewhat of a tenuous position though. If it's clear that this its not "our year" do we keep Sokolov, Pez etc to give us a better chance at making the playoffs or do we deal them off like Oshawa did last year and try to get in anyway. I guess the teams' position at the deadline will tell the tale.

As far as bringing in the defender from Kitchener, it's right on time as a stable stay at home defenceman was badly needed. Finally can you explain what you mean by cards and the Wolves being in short supply. Do you mean picks?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Sounds a lot like what I posted about trying for a compromise in terms of being competitive this year without mortgaging the future. Judging by this latest move it's seems that might be what Papineau intends to try to do. I'm not sure how deep a run you think is possible though. For me, I have come around to realize there is simply way too much youth on this team to expect it to go far this year.

Making the playoffs is the humble goal I think the team should strive for. This puts the team in somewhat of a tenuous position though. If it's clear that this its not "our year" do we keep Sokolov, Pez etc to give us a better chance at making the playoffs or do we deal them off like Oshawa did last year and try to get in anyway. I guess the teams' position at the deadline will tell the tale.

As far as bringing in the defender from Kitchener, it's right on time as a stable stay at home defenceman was badly needed. Finally can you explain what you mean by cards and the Wolves being in short supply. Do you mean picks?

It just means that the Wolves have used 26 cards for players on the roster this year. Makkonen and Valentini used sparingly and that cost two cards even though they will be removed from the roster. The team signed them to play this year. With everyone remaining including the players we traded for and away like Ali they all use a card. A team is allowed 30. We have room for 4 more players and that is the max signed players that can play on the team this season. So if we plan on doing these single deals all the way to January don't expect a major deal come the deadline if we try to unload vets like Sokolov and Pezzetta for youth.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It just means that the Wolves have used 26 cards for players on the roster this year. Makkonen and Valentini used sparingly and that cost two cards even though they will be removed from the roster. The team signed them to play this year. With everyone remaining including the players we traded for and away like Ali they all use a card. A team is allowed 30. We have room for 4 more players and that is the max signed players that can play on the team this season. So if we plan on doing these single deals all the way to January don't expect a major deal come the deadline if we try to unload vets like Sokolov and Pezzetta for youth.

WJ
Huh, didn't know about that, thanks. So if we make a single deal does that count for two cards? One for the signed player leaving and one for signed acquisition?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Huh, didn't know about that, thanks. So if we make a single deal does that count for two cards? One for the signed player leaving and one for signed acquisition?

Anyone who plays a game with the Wolves unless they are a call up uses a card. So Ali used up a card and now Kingston uses one of their own cards as well. We acquired Blaisdell and he will burn up a card for us. Kitchener had burned one with him too since he played a game with them this season. Wilkie did not play a game with us this year before being released so he does not use up a card for us.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Had no idea Ross was injured Sunday.
That would make sense since he didn't see the ice in the latter part of the second or third period. This sure is a weird game. 67's have a bad game against us and go in and snap the Soo's winning streak. I hope we're up to the task as the Soo will want to get back to winning. Going to need some clutch goaltending for this one.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This is good. I guess Serensits and Ross are gonna be rotated in and out of the #6 role and when they do play they'll be paired with a vet. We're in a good position to fight for a playoff spot now, and if we fall out of it by the deadline we have alot to sell. I think Sokolov needs to be moved at some point in the new year regardless though. Id rather not keep him just to play 4 playoff games against Peterborough or Hamilton and get spanked. The return we'd likely get from a memorial cup contender (ie Owen Sound, SSM, Peterborough, Hamilton) that'll need all the offensive help it can get would be substantial.

The wolves could be ahead of Miss, Ottawa and NB and meet a (high scoring) young team in Barrie 1st round. That would probably be best case scenario.
If Papineau believes Candella returns as an OA, there is no real need to sell. There is enough youth and picks to build a lasting team. I think Bowie, Siau, & Philips can add to the roster next season; plus, an import and 2-3 from OHL draft...
Definitely need to listen to offers for Pez & Sokolov though.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Credit goes out to Papineau being proactive and getting a veteran D. I agree about listening to offers for Sokolov and Pezzetta, we should get a good haul of draft picks and some quality talent in return.

Reactions: HockeyHell

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Credit goes out to Papineau being proactive and getting a veteran D. I agree about listening to offers for Sokolov and Pezzetta, we should get a good haul of draft picks and some quality talent in return.
You posted exactly what I have been thinking. Papineau is not waiting to get things done. Branch was also part of the rebuild problem. That is becoming glaringly obvious.

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What is the glaring part that B.B. has in the rebuild problem? 8/22 roster players (likely more next season) plus assets from Lalonde trade were all acquired after just two draft seasons. The scrambling that Papineau has had to do caused by Lalonde opting out can’t be pinned on B.B., can it?
Is it the net loss of picks from (Timpano & Schmalz) - (Jamieson & Yak & Sanvido)? Jamieson was an obvious overpayment. I liked the other trades. Yak was great for Carson.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The question is do we make the playoffs without those two if we're looking like a bottom half team with them so far. Do you guys think we should sell them regardless of whether we're in a playoff spot or not come the deadline?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I asked last week whether Papineau would look to bring in another OA as I thought he should and now we have the answer (to me it makes no sense not to have 3 OA's every year). My next question is whether or not a move for a powerplay quarterback is possible or would he have to give up too much? If he could do that I think it would put us in a much better position and allow the team to gradually work the rookies in.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The question is do we make the playoffs without those two if we're looking like a bottom half team with them so far. Do you guys think we should sell them regardless of whether we're in a playoff spot or not come the deadline?

I would like to see how team is playing up to the trade deadline, I don't think the Eastern Conference is that strong, if we got some kind of shot then we may need couple acquisitions to make noise in playoffs. If we are struggling than start selling. However, you know at trade deadline contending teams will be going after Sokolov hard. Might be a deal to hard to refuse. Capobianco should of got moved last year and wanted to stay but that was a mistake in my opinion, we could of been in better position this year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agree; except, the east (division) is strong imo. The team should always (have) to make the playoffs; and, always (consider benefits) of selling graduating players. Capobianco (NTC) and Marcus Foligno (earned the right to choose) are prime examples of players that would have been of more benefit traded.
Sokolov is another. I doubt he has any real ties to Sudbury and would accept a trade. The wolves would need to be ahead of Miss, Ottawa, & NB; and/or, Miss & 67’s selling to believe the wolves can make the playoffs without Sokolov, though.
Right now, it seems Candella and Pezetta have real chances of being OA. They could be of value for a play off run; (7th -to avoid the Petes & Bulldogs- has to be the goal?) and, it may be of benefit to the team to explore off season values of them, the twins, & O’Grady before choosing next year’s OAs. A choice of own (good) OAs is something the wolves have not had in a while.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Wait, @dirty12 aren't you the one who has been raving about North Bay being a good team because of Cam Dineen?

We're a 6-8 team at best, and it's looking like Missy will get M Mcleod and Tippett back shortly, which should push them to the division lead by the midway point and from there they'll take off again just like last year. Barrie and Niagara are way over-performing and we're somewhat under-performing. 6-10 (Ottawa + the Central teams not named Mississauga) will all be decided by a few points when it's all said and done, and I think the 1-3 teams are all going to slaughter whomever they get in the first round. I don't see any realistic scenario in which keeping Sokolov is worth our while (Pezzetta looks a decent OA candidate though, so we have to re-evaluate him at the deadline). That is, unless you think the Wolves somehow winning the Central and being the #2 seed is a realistic scenario.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Agree; except, the east (division) is strong imo. The team should always (have) to make the playoffs; and, always (consider benefits) of selling graduating players. Capobianco (NTC) and Marcus Foligno (earned the right to choose) are prime examples of players that would have been of more benefit traded.
Sokolov is another. I doubt he has any real ties to Sudbury and would accept a trade. The wolves would need to be ahead of Miss, Ottawa, & NB; and/or, Miss & 67’s selling to believe the wolves can make the playoffs without Sokolov, though.
Right now, it seems Candella and Pezetta have real chances of being OA. They could be of value for a play off run; (7th -to avoid the Petes & Bulldogs- has to be the goal?) and, it may be of benefit to the team to explore off season values of them, the twins, & O’Grady before choosing next year’s OAs. A choice of own (good) OAs is something the wolves have not had in a while.

Sorry but I think Candella and Pezzetta are least likely to be overagers. Those two may be dealt at the deadline along with Sokolov. All three of those guys are drafted and may play in other professional leagues or school. Our more likely candidates for next year is OGrady, Pilon, Pilon. And then you lose Laguensse, Rhodes and Blaisdell to graduation. That to me is a lot of holes to cover. We better hope when we make those deals to get a boat load of quality 18 year olds defensively and offensively that will make up for losing the 6 guys. Then we need to upgrade the overagers as the Pilon twins would bring heart but not enough production or first line minutes. But I believe this year by adding another 18 or 19 year old defender and right winger would be the focus leading to the deadline. That way we try to content with the Petes, Oshawa and Hamilton. We are in for a couple of years of development after that. IMO

WJ

Chopchop

Oct 15, 2017
That would make sense since he didn't see the ice in the latter part of the second or third period. This sure is a weird game. 67's have a bad game against us and go in and snap the Soo's winning streak. I hope we're up to the task as the Soo will want to get back to winning. Going to need some clutch goaltending for this one.

Funny thing about the Wolves BIG win over the 67's was that the Hounds got caught sleeping and most of the big money players looked like crap. Wolves fan should be happy with your new D from the Rangers. Blaisdell 6-3 220 lbs If he stays healthy he will be a very good acquisition and it only cost you 4th round draft pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dineen is a very good OHL D. But, NB goaltending should be enough to keep that team in the bottom half of the conference allowing the wolves a chance to get ahead of them. I don’t see Miss getting enough games with both M.McLoed & Tippett to pass Barrie. I’d actually be surprised if they didn’t sell & Miss the playoffs
Candella & Pezetta are drafted; but, not signed. I’m not convinced they will get pro contracts before next season.
Yeah, the wolves are a couple of years away from real contention. But, trading Pezetta, Candella & Sokolov for a boat load of young talent is unrealistic. You can get a player and lots of picks. There won’t be a lot of young players better than the wolves 2000 & 2001 available. And, trading to be in contention this year would exhaust the team of assets, making them a bottom feeder for a few seasons. A 2 1/2 yr player like Paquette or Garlent goes for 4-5 2nds, & a 3 1/2 yr player like Lalonde goes for six (2nds + 3rds). The wolves are not getting more than one of those if they are sellers.
I like the team as is (with Blaisdell) now and for a few years. I say roll with it unless the team just does not win

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Funny thing about the Wolves BIG win over the 67's was that the Hounds got caught sleeping and most of the big money players looked like crap. Wolves fan should be happy with your new D from the Rangers. Blaisdell 6-3 220 lbs If he stays healthy he will be a very good acquisition and it only cost you 4th round draft pick.
Ya I didn't think the Hounds played their most complete game.
Sorry but I think Candella and Pezzetta are least likely to be overagers. Those two may be dealt at the deadline along with Sokolov. All three of those guys are drafted and may play in other professional leagues or school. Our more likely candidates for next year is OGrady, Pilon, Pilon. And then you lose Laguensse, Rhodes and Blaisdell to graduation. That to me is a lot of holes to cover. We better hope when we make those deals to get a boat load of quality 18 year olds defensively and offensively that will make up for losing the 6 guys. Then we need to upgrade the overagers as the Pilon twins would bring heart but not enough production or first line minutes. But I believe this year by adding another 18 or 19 year old defender and right winger would be the focus leading to the deadline. That way we try to content with the Petes, Oshawa and Hamilton. We are in for a couple of years of development after that. IMO

WJ
I'm not sure it's that realistic to expect or think the Wolves can challenge the Petes and or any other top Eastern team this year (not sure you watched the game this Saturday against the Petes but their forwards exposed our D big time). As said there is too much youth, period. Especially if as you suggest we deal Sokolov and Pez at the deadline. I'm not sure we see things the same. If anything the next couple of years should be when we prepare to make a run, not this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad