Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What did Pap say I didnt hear it.

Secondly why not a mystery. Read between the lines I assume. It really isnt our business. That's an in house issue.
I refer to it in an earlier post where he stated the goal was to "obviously make the playoffs" in September. I didn't say it was necessarily our business, more like enquiring minds want to know, I guess to judge the validity of the decision. I'll talk to some people I know at the arena.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I refer to it in an earlier post where he stated the goal was to "obviously make the playoffs" in September. I didn't say it was necessarily our business, more like enquiring minds want to know, I guess to judge the validity of the decision. I'll talk to some people I know at the arena.

Its not up to us to validate a coach management decision lol.

If you were his agent, then yes. I'm sure his agent was notified. You feel me?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
No I don't "feel you". Whether or not you think I have a right to know doesn't mean I don't want to know and judge the validity of the decision for myself as fans and pundits do that all the time. Also doesn't mean if I find out I'll feel compelled to share it here. I'm not in league with management and feel no special allegiance as they have never paid my tickets for almost four decades (which I coud argue in and of itself gives me a right to know). To make it clear, I have been there consistently through very little thick and a whole lotta thin.

Last edited:
Reactions: justawolfan

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I can appreciate your desire to see this team win. I want to see it just as much as you. This is the type of coach these players needed two years ago. Dealing with behaviour issues now, as opposed to dealing with them at the end of the season, like Valentini last year is the right move. I don't need to know why because no coach wants to lose so he must have had good reason.

Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I can appreciate your desire to see this team win. I want to see it just as much as you. This is the type of coach these players needed two years ago. Dealing with behaviour issues now, as opposed to dealing with them at the end of the season, like Valentini last year is the right move. I don't need to know why because no coach wants to lose so he must have had good reason.
I suppose. It's just I'm a teacher (even though I taught some years ago and haven't been interested since) and knowing how coddled the kids were back then and how heavy handed discipline didn't work I'm just not sure there wasn't another way and I don't want him to lose the team. It's not the old days with Templeton and company. If he loses Sokolov forget any chance at success this year. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but talk about a radical departure from the buddy buddy coach that Matsos was. I guess I'm hoping for a middle ground but let's see how they respond as that will tell the tale.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
No I don't "feel you". Whether or not you think I have a right to know doesn't mean I don't want to know and judge the validity of the decision for myself as fans and pundits do that all the time. Also doesn't mean if I find out I'll feel compelled to share it here. I'm not in league with management and feel no special allegiance as they have never paid my tickets for almost four decades (which I coud argue in and of itself gives me a right to know). To make it clear, I have been there consistently through very little thick and a whole lotta thin.

Sigh. Ok sir. Happy digging :)

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Well cub that's a revelation to me about Ross' plus/minus as he in particular seemed to struggle mightily and seemed out of place (actually like a deer in the headlights on Huethers second goal) , such that he barely saw the ice for much of the second half of the game. Maybe it was just one game (I'll be watching) but just maybe his plus/minus is reflective of his ice time. Yes Candella struggled last night.

You can see Ross is going to be good, he has all the attributes, veterans are making mistakes also. I reviewed the video on Huether's second goal it was Candella that was marking Heuther, Ross stepped to the side so he would not screen his goalie, I think unfair criticism on that goal.

I have no problem with Ross, Lalonde was a plus/minus -30 with limited criticism because he was high pick. I know plus/minus are not everything but its has a factor.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
You can see Ross is going to be good, he has all the attributes, veterans are making mistakes also. I reviewed the video on Huether's second goal it was Candella that was marking Heuther, Ross stepped to the side so he would not screen his goalie, I think unfair criticism on that goal.

I have no problem with Ross, Lalonde was a plus/minus -30 with limited criticism because he was high pick. I know plus/minus are not everything but its has a factor.
Like I said Cubby, I'll be watching. Come to think of it that's what he might have been doing. Just looked like a terrible job of clearing the house so to speak. If indeed Ross is playing well that bodes extremely well for the future. Can we win a few games now though......

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
So what do you guys attribute to the fact that we seem to be in a perpetual rebuild? Is it that the previous drafts were bad or that the players weren't developed properly? I don't remember reading that Matsos was misusing the players last year although I think it's fair to say making the playoffs was viewed as an absolute necessity last year. Like I've said before I'm confused as to if it's the case this year as stated by Papineau. On an unrelated note, my band had a great jam tonight.

Last edited:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
So what do you guys attribute to the fact that we seem to be in a perpetual rebuild? Is it that the previous drafts were bad or that the players weren't developed properly? I don't remember reading that Matsos was misusing the players last year although I think it's fair to say making the playoffs was viewed as an absolute necessity last year. Like I've said before I'm confused as to if it's the case this year as stated by Papineau. On an unrelated note, my band had a great jam tonight.
Matsos was a coach trying to keep his job. He chose to go for the win (which was absurd with the talent he had) at the expense of the kids drafted especially the 99 age group. That should have been the start of the rebuild and it wasn't.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I had a nice long post replying but I lost my internet connection. Cheers, we're obviously Wolves fanatics. What is your prediction for the home stand?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
0-1-1-1.
It’s really painful to watch now; but,...
Two seasons from now with Levin, Bulitka, & Carson as OAs; Gihula, Malik, Hutcheson, Frappier, & Samuelson? @19; and Murray, Tabak, Ross, Philips, Bowie, & Siau @18; look out.
Kinda similar with more play off success (hopefully) to the Soo after picking 1,2,11,4.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Confirmation on this deal???

If true It does't surprise me that the Wolves did something before Wednesday nights game. Now the only question I have, is Blasidell better than Wilkie? Kind of a weird deal in a sense that we have to lose a pick when we had an overage in Wilkie that also plays the left pairing. Regardless this team is slowly inching toward the max 30 card limit. If they have any intention of trading away vets at the deadline to bring in young players they need cards left to sign these guys. So we will see.

WJ

Never mind it was just posted on both teams websites.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Thanks. I guess thats what may be the conditions on the deal. If he plays a certain amount of games. Good on the Rangers for picking up Sherwood. Not too many natural right wingers who can score regularly in the league.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Confirmation on this deal???

If true It does't surprise me that the Wolves did something before Wednesday nights game. Now the only question I have, is Blasidell better than Wilkie? Kind of a weird deal in a sense that we have to lose a pick when we had an overage in Wilkie that also plays the left pairing. Regardless this team is slowly inching toward the max 30 card limit. If they have any intention of trading away vets at the deadline to bring in young players they need cards left to sign these guys. So we will see.

WJ

Never mind it was just posted on both teams websites.

It is a little weird. I don’t see Serensits rooting in the stands often; maybe, a path has been cleared to move O’Grady or Candella if Papineau thinks an OA season is unlikely. Cards will have to be managed, though it’s unlikely more than one young players would be returned/taken in a sell.
It does give the team a clear top 4; or, vet top pairing along with Ross & Rhodes and Malik & O’Grady.
If all kept, the wolves can make up ground. I like it.
The 4th pick seems Papineau’s currency of choice :)

Last edited:

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
This is good. I guess Serensits and Ross are gonna be rotated in and out of the #6 role and when they do play they'll be paired with a vet. We're in a good position to fight for a playoff spot now, and if we fall out of it by the deadline we have alot to sell. I think Sokolov needs to be moved at some point in the new year regardless though. Id rather not keep him just to play 4 playoff games against Peterborough or Hamilton and get spanked. The return we'd likely get from a memorial cup contender (ie Owen Sound, SSM, Peterborough, Hamilton) that'll need all the offensive help it can get would be substantial.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
This deal solves some issues with having to release a forward since I'd assume Valentini is now going to be dropped from the roster as expected with a season ending injury. So moving forward the line up will look something like this,

Levin Lagunesse Sokolov
Carson Pezzetta Gilhula
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Hutchison Murray Baker
Tabek McConville

I think if Sudbury can find another right winner to play the second line and give up on Gilhula then it would be a strong line up for the remainder of the year.

Defensively we still need another player with some playoff experience to come in. A depth guy at the deadline.

Candella OGrady
Blaisdell Rhodes
Malik ?
Ross

Serentis should be sent down for regular development. If our GM can get two more pieces without having to sacrifice or mortgage the future then we should be in a better position to turn the season around and get into the playoffs. Would be nice for Sudbury to climb as high as 4th in the conference but that will only happen if we can get this roster sorted out soon. Carson to regain form quickly after his return. And for McGrath to start playing better. Time will tell what this team will do but I hope they make this year something to cheer about. I can't see next season being a banner year unless Sudbury deals Sokolov, Pezzetta and Candella at the deadline and gets some intriguing 18 year olds and sophomore players in return.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I just can't see Levin still playing junior hockey in two years.
To me Levin has OA written all over him. Small, needs to learn both ends of the ice. Unless he has an amazing season I think he'll be around for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->