Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
To be honest cub I'm with ohloutsider on how byfield could be here only for a limited time. We might even only get this coming year and his draft year out of his swell. Still... a nice problem to have. Also could someone please fill me in on the suspensions. And are there good options in the MM draft this year? And finally if there is a really good player available who isn't a D with our second and third picks, do you take them instead. I'm leaning towards yes

We will have Byfield 3 years minimum, it should be the right time for this team to make some noise. So he leaves early, most talented players that move on play 4 yrs max, so he leaves a year early to me its not talking point. There is no way Byfield plays two years and then jump to the NHL, Nico Hischier played 3yrs of minor hockey, Nolan Patrick played 4yrs in minor hockey. 1st and 2nd pick of last year draft.

I would like to see the Wolves take two D after they're first pick, similar what Ottawa done couple of drafts ago, a lot good quality defencemen in this draft, it will set them up for the future.

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
There is an outside chance that he may only play two years of junior. McDavid played three but entered the OHL a year early. If he goes to Sudbury would love to see him play as long as he can, it makes the division stronger and more money at the gate!*

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Still two important games for the wolves left. Should Windsor win & NB lose, NB picks before Sudbury in the 2nd. I don’t think NB would reach for Schleuting with the 9 or 10 pick where Power might still be available, so...

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We will have Byfield 3 years minimum, it should be the right time for this team to make some noise. So he leaves early, most talented players that move on play 4 yrs max, so he leaves a year early to me its not talking point. There is no way Byfield plays two years and then jump to the NHL, Nico Hischier played 3yrs of minor hockey, Nolan Patrick played 4yrs in minor hockey. 1st and 2nd pick of last year draft.

I would like to see the Wolves take two D after they're first pick, similar what Ottawa done couple of drafts ago, a lot good quality defencemen in this draft, it will set them up for the future.

Cub, I thought you would have wanted local kid Hunter Brazier in the 3rd? Maybe, he’s slipped a bit and available in 5th?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm only high on Schleuting and Campbell out of North Bay. I think Sudbury boys might go later in the draft Hunter Brazier being one. To be honest local Sudbury Wolves AAA kids don't excite me too much this year.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I'm only high on Schleuting and Campbell out of North Bay. I think Sudbury boys might go later in the draft Hunter Brazier being one. To be honest local Sudbury Wolves AAA kids don't excite me too much this year.
Hearing Spencer Dickson is on the radar, Soo apparently are high on him. ON another note heard from a family member that Walker bantam aaa out of Garson is being heavily recruited by London Knights Jr B.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Hearing Spencer Dickson is on the radar, Soo apparently are high on him. ON another note heard from a family member that Walker bantam aaa out of Garson is being heavily recruited by London Knights Jr B.

To play Junior B? I think that's far fetched. I know the father, i can't see that would be a big jump, and high risk. That age group is very strong for Sudbury, some good players on that team.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Question, if Bakanov from the Grizzlies does not receive Status for the OHL draft can he be included in the euro draft as a 16yr old since he played one year minor midget in North America?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Question, if Bakanov from the Grizzlies does not receive Status for the OHL draft can he be included in the euro draft as a 16yr old since he played one year minor midget in North America?

my understanding can't draft 2002 players in the import draft i believe.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
To play Junior B? I think that's far fetched. I know the father, i can't see that would be a big jump, and high risk. That age group is very strong for Sudbury, some good players on that team.
London have met with him already, Johnny his uncle and Dale played together in Sudbury, just a side note. Correction, I meant minor midget. My view is if you have the chance go South to play better leagues more scouts. Porco went south, follow the lead, if Moskal would have played in the MTHL he would have been a first rounder I bet.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I cannot recall a 16 yr old (2002 born this draft) taken in import draft, I don’t think it’s within the rules.
If he plays major midget and gets ON status, the U18 draft next season gets very interesting.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
He will not be eligible for the import draft until the season after.
Any decision yet on his status? Was reported Branch was to rule on him and chirka during OHL CUP if that is the case should hear something tomorrow.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
London have met with him already, Johnny his uncle and Dale played together in Sudbury, just a side note. Correction, I meant minor midget. My view is if you have the chance go South to play better leagues more scouts. Porco went south, follow the lead, if Moskal would have played in the MTHL he would have been a first rounder I bet.

ok that makes more sense Minor Midget. I have seen it backfire many times when players go away from they're association and play somewhere else. Guys like Christian Goudreau and Matty Mayhew it hurt them in the draft. I think scouts don't care for that too much.

Looking at London Minor Midget AAA team didn't play so hot in the OHL Cup, so not sure on the talent level coming up for them. I know the Sudbury Wolves Bantam AAA team is a strong bunch, my recommendation stick with you're team, scouts will find you, if you're good.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Obviously looking for miracles at this point, but would love to see them use the alure of playing with Byfield to lure Samuelsson and/or Emberson over.

The allure would be reversed (if Byfield signing was an issue).
But if the nhl teams holding the rights of those D after upcoming nhl draft feel wolves can be competitive and provide development at a level comparable to the fine schools they are committed...the wolves fortunes change greatly

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Anyone else think last nights’ game was pretty embarassing? I was going to be on board for the Oshawa game but forget that. The players clearly look like they have checked out and forgot about the pride element. Also the goaltending was atrocious and remains a question mark for next year though few seem to mention it. Also why did the Wolves ice such a short bench? End this year of misery and let’s hope it’s upward. I’m sick of losing and even massive diehards like myself have their breaking points.

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The short bench was because of suspensions from fights with Barrie night before, Pilon, Carson, and Serenitis. McConville, Gilhula, not sure why they were scratched.

I agree I have said it for awhile now, goaltending needs to be address for next season, McGrath took a big step back, I think teams know his weaknesses this time around. Frappier and Bowen have showed some promise, but we need proven goaltender next year.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Whoppy

Jan 11, 2018
Sudbury
The short bench was because of suspensions from fights with Barrie night before, Pilon, Carson, and Serenitis. McConville, Gilhula, not sure why they were scratched.

I agree I have said it for awhile now, goaltending needs to be address for next season, McGrath took a big step back, I think teams know his weaknesses this time around. Frappier and Bowen have showed some promise, but we need proven goaltender next year.
We need a goaltender AGREED! The 3 that we have including Bowen are inconsistent from night to night. Hoping there is someone in view that can shine. I know that Dario stated that Sudbury is the best team in the O..however all of us long time season ticket holders want to see a team that is a contender!

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Still two important games for the wolves left. Should Windsor win & NB lose, NB picks before Sudbury in the 2nd. I don’t think NB would reach for Schleuting with the 9 or 10 pick where Power might still be available, so...

NB picks 9 & 11, and SBY 10 in round 2. Schleuting won’t be falling to the wolves. He probably would not get past the Knights at their picks of 14, 21, 23 anyways.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Agree like both the North Bay talents

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well after an awful game last night the Wolves played a very decent game (with a very short bench) to end the season, firing forty five shots on net. A little more accuracy and they could have definitely won the game.
Best part about the game for me was the play of McGrath who came in for Frappier after the fourth goal and shut the Gens out with some stellar saves. He has the tools.
Now we can soon get on with putting this season behind. Interesting times to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad