Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Just curious, is there anyone really good we could get out of the midget draft? Especially, perhaps a goalie?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
With Byfield in the fold,where do the wolves go with the 2nd and 3rd pick. Wish we had a forth.

First pick will be Byfield. But some other forwards in the top ten had a very good OHL Cup including Cuylle, Vierling, Robinson and Halliday. Some decent size too. However the consensus is Byfield. So lets hope he hasn't flattened out and those mentioned players continue to develop and surpass him. Cuylle is a very good player and has been climbing the last month since coming back from injury.

For the second and third pick the Wolves need to take defence. So many possibilities. I think Sudbury takes one good puck moving guy such as Bianconi, Bar, Renwick, O'Rourke, Gucciardi, Terry. (left Moore and Drysdale off likely top ten picks) For more defensive guys, Schlueting, Murray, Spearing, Maunder, Dillingham-Morelli Porter and Jack Thompson to name a few. (left Power off the list as he will go top ten. Also left underage Chayka off the list unsure if he will be eligible) So the Wolves can easily find two solid guys with their 2nd and 3rd pick. But considering the amount of good quality defence outside the first round I think that would be in the best interest of the Wolves to draft two of them after Byfield.

After the 3rd round the Wolves don't pick until the 5th and I think thats where they should select a goalie.

Lipanov has not done enough for me in his time in Sudbury, I would rather select a young emerging 17 year old forward in the import draft. Sudbury has some really big decisions on this. I also don't like surrendering a 3rd round pick for Lipanov returning. We have a lot of forwards returning and Murray needs the lions share of ice up the middle as does Byfield. So Lipanov will only hamper that development IMO.

One thing is for certain is that the Sudbury brass needs to get their crap together in a hurry and decide what direction they are going with their overagers, imports and then the extra bodies up front. I expect some player movement and some surprise moves in the off season. But the plan needs to be put in motion before the draft and when the trade window opens to make deals in late summer the Wolves need to make those moves then to clear up room for training camp and bring some excitement and motivation to the room. Time will tell but they cannot make mistakes this time around.

WJ

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I know lots of fan base's were not happy with the results of the Major Midget draft, but I'd be ecstatic if the wolves could pick up another Serensits type of player.

This. Serensits was a great pick, dude will be an important 2nd pairing guy for us next year.

Everyone was ripping on the MM draft but I honestly think its a great idea because of how many players there are in this league that never end up getting drafted in the standard draft because they don't put it together until they are 16 or 17 year olds.

The draft is a good parity tool because it means the more desirable franchises don't always get their pick of the litter with these 17/18 y/o FAs.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Billoink, we got the first pick, you can breath now. :) Byfield will be fun to watch next season.
This gives Sudbury 2 seasons to get a supporting cast around him. He will be in the NHL in 3 years - does Sudbury have enough picks to make that happen? - kids will come to play on his team but you need the bank of picks to make that happen.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
This gives Sudbury 2 seasons to get a supporting cast around him. He will be in the NHL in 3 years - does Sudbury have enough picks to make that happen? - kids will come to play on his team but you need the bank of picks to make that happen.

Oh our first mister downer on board, I have a faith in our management, we have a good young team, future looks bright. We also have draft picks we have accumulated from previous trades at the deadline.

If he makes NHL in 3 years good for him, it will be 3 years I get to see him play in Sudbury, but i'm no fortune teller who can predict that.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Oh our first mister downer on board, I have a faith in our management, we have a good young team, future looks bright. We also have draft picks we have accumulated from previous trades at the deadline.

If he makes NHL in 3 years good for him, it will be 3 years I get to see him play in Sudbury, but i'm no fortune teller who can predict that.
Mister downer that is funny! I am not trying to make light of this - just look at McDavid, Hall and some of these high end picks - same MO you need to make hay while the sun shines, not a downer just hoping you guys are in a position to accomplish that.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Mister downer that is funny! I am not trying to make light of this - just look at McDavid, Hall and some of these high end picks - same MO you need to make hay while the sun shines, not a downer just hoping you guys are in a position to accomplish that.

I say its a nice problem to have.

Reactions: ohloutsider

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Billoink, we got the first pick, you can breath now. :) Byfield will be fun to watch next season.
Got to watch the ohl cup on Puck Drop, YSE and the Marlies both got beat. Byfield was way off in the loss to Vaughan invisible, would bet it was do to health. Marlies have some big up front talent. Drysdale is a stud. Byfield is just all around great, speed shot and breakaway speed, judging the 4 games I watched him play reminds me of Lindros at that age. Fans are going to love him he will be a franchise player.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Got to watch the ohl cup on Puck Drop, YSE and the Marlies both got beat. Byfield was way off in the loss to Vaughan invisible, would bet it was do to health. Marlies have sone big up front talent. Drysdale is a stud. Byfield is just all around great, speed shot and breakaway speed, judging the 4 games I watched him play reminds me of Lindros at that age. Fans are going to love him he will be a franchise player.

I have been watching too, Byfield yesterday tried hard but I found the rest of his line mates were not strong and can't keep up with him. Byfield seem to be all alone he would set up his teammates if he got keyed on but his line mates didn't capitalize.

With regards to Drysdale, he is very good, but he didn't blow me away, I think there are other strong D on other teams are just as good as him.

For me Byfield is more of a Austin Matthews type, big strong, smart, speed etc. Lindros was at a different level at that age and way more physical. Lindros is the only player i can remembered sold out the Sudbury Arena when he came, and they're were actual scalpers too. lol

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I have been watching too, Byfield yesterday tried hard but I found the rest of his line mates were not strong and can't keep up with him. Byfield seem to be all alone he would set up his teammates if he got keyed on but his line mates didn't capitalize.

With regards to Drysdale, he is very good, but he didn't blow me away, I think there are other strong D on other teams are just as good as him.

For me Byfield is more of a Austin Matthews type, big strong, smart, speed etc. Lindros was at a different level at that age and way more physical. Lindros is the only player i can remembered sold out the Sudbury Arena when he came, and they're were actual scalpers too. lol
Did you watch it on Puck Drop? How about Byfield compared to Austin Lindros, would you go for that?:naughty::naughty:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
To be honest cub I'm with ohloutsider on how byfield could be here only for a limited time. We might even only get this coming year and his draft year out of his swell. Still... a nice problem to have. Also could someone please fill me in on the suspensions. And are there good options in the MM draft this year? And finally if there is a really good player available who isn't a D with our second and third picks, do you take them instead. I'm leaning towards yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad