Sudbury Wolves 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If anyone thinks that the Wolves were focused at all last night think again. Last weekend of the year. Some players were out to square things away for the hometown fans. Pilons were tough as nails, Carson had something to prove, Hutch played well had more jump and I think next year he will get more from him, Ross is growing with each game. I agree some players won't be here next year. Here is how I would list the team of importance for those coming back.

1.Pilon
2.Pilon
3.Stratis
4.Murray
5.Ross
6.Carson
7.Nzinikov
8.Hutchison
9.McGrath
10.Levin
11.Bulitka
12.Tabek
13.McConville
14.Candella
15.Baker
16.Serentis
17.Gilhula
18.Frappier
19.Malik
20.Lipanov

Bringing in Byfield and our 2nd pick which should be defence. Should be interesting to see how the Wolves brass deal with the extra bodies come next season.

A loss tonight in Barrie will give Sudbury the number 1 pick!!!

WJ

They're are a lot of good defensemen in this draft, Pacey Schleuting from North Bay Trappers looks like a good one we could get him in second round if he's still there.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
If anyone thinks that the Wolves were focused at all last night think again. Last weekend of the year. Some players were out to square things away for the hometown fans. Pilons were tough as nails, Carson had something to prove, Hutch played well had more jump and I think next year he will get more from him, Ross is growing with each game. I agree some players won't be here next year. Here is how I would list the team of importance for those coming back.

1.Pilon
2.Pilon
3.Stratis
4.Murray
5.Ross
6.Carson
7.Nzinikov
8.Hutchison
9.McGrath
10.Levin
11.Bulitka
12.Tabek
13.McConville
14.Candella
15.Baker
16.Serentis
17.Gilhula
18.Frappier
19.Malik
20.Lipanov

Bringing in Byfield and our 2nd pick which should be defence. Should be interesting to see how the Wolves brass deal with the extra bodies come next season.

WJ
Wrong....First period came out flat. These kids are playing for themselves. If they didn't play with focus the wouldn't have had a comeback.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
As far as tributes to overagers I agree more needs to be done. Flint did a great job. Hopefully they pick up ideas from other teams and improve on this in future years.
It is funny how people can watch the same game and see things so differently. I agree Hutcheson is a keeper but not based on his game last night. He was just OK to me. I agree the Pilons played well but I disagree with penalties that cost you the game being OK. If we were a win away from a playoff spot it would be unacceptable but because we are out that undisciplined style gets a pass. I notice more mistakes with Ross then I want to see but I think another year in the league should bring good things. Stratis was OK. He does sometimes take risks but just as you look the other way on bad penalties I will focus more on the positive. I completely disagree with you on Bulitka. He is the most consistent two way player on this team. If you think he is behind the play he is usually the guy who has battled on the boards to get the puck out or has covered an offensive defenseman. He consistently sets players up who if they finished would be game changing jmo. Loved seeing the passion back in Macaulay last night..does anyone know what brought that on..I didn't see the lead up. McGrath would probably like a restart to that game but settled down nicely. Hopefully he can recharge this summer.
Appreciate your analysis as well, thank you for that. It wasn't so much I'm okay with penalties costing us games but it was more that I enjoyed the fight certain players brought into the game. The refs seemed very quick on the whistle at times and yet turned there heads the other way at other times. Macauley definitely had some fight back in him last night, that was the flare he's been lacking most of this season. I just wish he was faster at times. I found Bulitka held the puck a little too much at times. Perhaps Carson is finally back to 100%? He was also involved in several scrums, he always plays better on the edge.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Appreciate your analysis as well, thank you for that. It wasn't so much I'm okay with penalties costing us games but it was more that I enjoyed the fight certain players brought into the game. The refs seemed very quick on the whistle at times and yet turned there heads the other way at other times. Macauley definitely had some fight back in him last night, that was the flare he's been lacking most of this season. I just wish he was faster at times. I found Bulitka held the puck a little too much at times. Perhaps Carson is finally back to 100%? He was also involved in several scrums, he always plays better on the edge.
Bulitka needs to shoot more and pass less. Just think he lacks a bit of confidence.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

1.Pilon
2.Pilon
3.Stratis
4.Murray
5.Ross
6.Carson
7.Nzinikov
8.Hutchison
9.McGrath
10.Levin
11.Bulitka
12.Tabek
13.McConville
14.Candella
15.Baker
16.Serentis
17.Gilhula
18.Frappier
19.Malik
20.Lipanov

WJ

I see it more as

1. Murray
2. Pilon
3. Pilon
4. Ross
5. Stratis
6. Nizhnikov
7. Carson (If he plays the way he did last night and last season)
8. Hutcheson
9. Levin
10. Tabak
11. McGrath
12. Candella
13. Bulitka
14. Serentis
15. Mcconville
16. Baker
17. Lipanov
18. Malik
19. Frappier
20. Gilhula (who I'm still holding hope that he has a Valentini type surprise season but I doubt it)

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I’ve only seen Lipanov once so I’ve got zero insight on him, but if you guys have him ranked that low, don’t you think you HAVE to use that top import pick? I know there’s at least two highly ranked kids playing in Ontario that aren’t going to get status for the regular draft. Chayka and another, I forget his name. Bakunov? Let alone all the possibilities playing in Europe.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I’ve only seen Lipanov once so I’ve got zero insight on him, but if you guys have him ranked that low, don’t you think you HAVE to use that top import pick? I know there’s at least two highly ranked kids playing in Ontario that aren’t going to get status for the regular draft. Chayka and another, I forget his name. Bakunov? Let alone all the possibilities playing in Europe.
This is why we all have him ranked so low, if we didn’t have that top pick I’m sure he’d be higher

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Malik should be gone, injury prone, can;t chance he will be healthy with the first overall OHL euro pick.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Malik picked it up before he got hurt. Im willing to call this year's injury woes pure bad luck, and let Lipanov walk instead. I think Ross, Stratis, Malik, and Serensits is a decent D core to build around...especially if Candella comes back as an OA.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Other than Carson, any other carry over supspensions from last night? Drake Pilon for 10th? :) fight? Serensits? - he did not give his opponent much of a choice but fight either.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Malik picked it up before he got hurt. Im willing to call this year's injury woes pure bad luck, and let Lipanov walk instead. I think Ross, Stratis, Malik, and Serensits is a decent D core to build around...especially if Candella comes back as an OA.
Lipinov is a 3rd round 76th overall Tampa Bay pick, if Tampa indicates before the Euro draft their plans and Sudbury is a fit then Malik has to go. Branch will be making a decision regarding reinstating Euro goalies back into the draft, that alone is more reason to free up a spot. The Wolves cannot gamble on Malik being healthy or not, this year is too important going forward.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
First of all before i comment on Malik, Billoink is the blood pressure down now, it looks like we have the first pick? :)

My bet especially imports you are committed to them and can't ship them off unless feelings are mutual. Malik problem to me is he is way to thin and needs to bulk up, and he has become injury prone due to slight physique. If he fills out he will be a force in my opinion, i'm not ready to give up on him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Lipinov is a 3rd round 76th overall Tampa Bay pick, if Tampa indicates before the Euro draft their plans and Sudbury is a fit then Malik has to go. Branch will be making a decision regarding reinstating Euro goalies back into the draft, that alone is more reason to free up a spot. The Wolves cannot gamble on Malik being healthy or not, this year is too important going forward.

I agree that the wolves really should take advantage of their import draft slot, and that Lipanov is the better player next season and Malik’s ceiling is probably 3rd pairing and PP; but, I’d much rather see the wolves keep the *3rd attached to Lipanov and give Malik more time to see if he can be a very good offensive D at 19.
That Sokolov deal was just bad. Good for him, I guess.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I agree that the wolves really should take advantage of their import draft slot, and that Lipanov is the better player next season and Malik’s ceiling is probably 3rd pairing and PP; but, I’d much rather see the wolves keep the *3rd attached to Lipanov and give Malik more time to see if he can be a very good offensive D at 19.
That Sokolov deal was just bad. Good for him, I guess.

I will take Broke Otten opinion over yours. I know you try to goat me in but i'm ok with it.

In: Alexei Lipanov, Peter Stratis, Ethan Lavalee, Kirill Nizhnikov, OTT 3 2018, BAR 2 2019, MISS 2 2019, SAR 4 2019 (Conditional), KIT 8 2019, ER 5 2020, MISS 3 2021 (Conditional), SAR 2 2023
Out: Dmitri Sokolov, Reagan O'Grady, Troy Lajeunesse, Michael Pezzetta, Mario Culina, ER 3 2018, OS 3 2018, GUE 8 2018, MISS 2 2019, PBO 2 2019, HAM 5 2019, SBY 2 2021, SSM 3 2021, OS 3 2022 (Conditional), SBY 2 2023
Analysis: I actually really like what the Wolves did at this year's deadline. They traded away the guys that they needed to (Sokolov, Pezzetta), but also used a draft pick surplus to bring in two quality young players in Nizhnikov and Stratis. Both add something to the roster that was badly needed; skill up front and puck movement from the blueline. Wolves management took a bit of a hit social media for the Sokolov deal. But I actually like them taking a chance. Probably 50/50 that Lipanov ends up in the AHL next year, and if he does, the Wolves have nothing to show for Sokolov. But, if he ends up returning to the OHL, Sudbury gets an impact forward who can play on their first line next year. Isn't that better than just bringing back a few extra draft picks (likely well into the future)? The market for Sokolov was not large. In the position that Sudbury is in, hoping to earn a top 4 spot next year, I take that chance and roll the dice every time. Only if the Lightning could somehow tell the Wolves their intentions before the Import Draft, but that's very, very unlikely.
Grade: A-

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I will take Broke Otten opinion over yours. I know you try to goat me in but i'm ok with it.

In: Alexei Lipanov, Peter Stratis, Ethan Lavalee, Kirill Nizhnikov, OTT 3 2018, BAR 2 2019, MISS 2 2019, SAR 4 2019 (Conditional), KIT 8 2019, ER 5 2020, MISS 3 2021 (Conditional), SAR 2 2023
Out: Dmitri Sokolov, Reagan O'Grady, Troy Lajeunesse, Michael Pezzetta, Mario Culina, ER 3 2018, OS 3 2018, GUE 8 2018, MISS 2 2019, PBO 2 2019, HAM 5 2019, SBY 2 2021, SSM 3 2021, OS 3 2022 (Conditional), SBY 2 2023
Analysis: I actually really like what the Wolves did at this year's deadline. They traded away the guys that they needed to (Sokolov, Pezzetta), but also used a draft pick surplus to bring in two quality young players in Nizhnikov and Stratis. Both add something to the roster that was badly needed; skill up front and puck movement from the blueline. Wolves management took a bit of a hit social media for the Sokolov deal. But I actually like them taking a chance. Probably 50/50 that Lipanov ends up in the AHL next year, and if he does, the Wolves have nothing to show for Sokolov. But, if he ends up returning to the OHL, Sudbury gets an impact forward who can play on their first line next year. Isn't that better than just bringing back a few extra draft picks (likely well into the future)? The market for Sokolov was not large. In the position that Sudbury is in, hoping to earn a top 4 spot next year, I take that chance and roll the dice every time. Only if the Lightning could somehow tell the Wolves their intentions before the Import Draft, but that's very, very unlikely.

I’ve used Brock & Youngblood quotes only for you to say things like make your own assessment of players and my foavourite, ‘I know talent’ :)
I like or am ok with all of 2017-18 trades except: Anything would have been better than Lipanov for Sokolov, 3rd, and foregoing one of Malik or top OHL slot for import draft; and, I think Stratis was overpaid for. 2-2nds & 2-3rds over 5-6 seasons, sure; but, top four pick in 3rd this supposed loaded draft year, Miss 2nd & Petes 2nd next draft, and later 3rd is too much too quick. I doubt Stratis is worth two top ten picks in 2019 2nd round.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I’ve used Brock & Youngblood quotes only for you to say things like make your own assessment of players and my foavourite, ‘I know talent’ :)
I like or am ok with all of 2017-18 trades except: Anything would have been better than Lipanov for Sokolov, 3rd, and foregoing one of Malik or top OHL slot for import draft; and, I think Stratis was overpaid for. 2-2nds & 2-3rds over 5-6 seasons, sure; but, top four pick in 3rd this supposed loaded draft year, Miss 2nd & Petes 2nd next draft, and later 3rd is too much too quick. I doubt Stratis is worth two top ten picks in 2019 2nd round.

Keep trolling, you used to be a good poster, now all you do is come on and be negative, no substance.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Good work cubby

Reactions: cub

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario

Also to add to this, we have a 3rd round pick that goes to Barrie if Lipanov plays. Personally I’d rather get a high end prospect then give Barrie a 3rd for no reason. JMO

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Also to add to this, we have a 3rd round pick that goes to Barrie if Lipanov plays. Personally I’d rather get a high end prospect then give Barrie a 3rd for no reason. JMO

3rd pick 2022, we will recoup picks by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->