Stuck in a failed Windows 10 upgrade loop

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
@Led Zappa - I suspect you might be the guy to ask for help, but if anyone else wants to chime in, please do.

This seems to be related to update KB4054517. When I shut my laptop down, it will "prepare Windows" for 2 or 3 hours before it successfully shuts down - and starting up will take an hour or more as it once again prepares Windows. I can see that KB4054517 failed. From what I can tell, this seems to hit people who have done a Windows reset after installing KB4054022 - which I did.

I have found a fix, with the following instructions:

1. Download the appropriate version of KB4054022 for your device architecture from the Microsoft Update Catalog to c:\temp. Then run the commands in the steps below from the administrative command prompt.
  2. Expand the .msu file that you downloaded in step 1.

mkdir c:\temp
    expand -f:* windows10.0-kb4054022-x64.msu c:\temp
  3. End the existing Trusted Installer processes and install KB4054022 using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool.

taskkill /f /im tiworker.exe
    taskkill /f /im trustedinstaller.exe
    dism /online /add-package /packagepath:c:\temp\Windows10.0-KB4054022-x64.cab
Taskkill does not find those processes. I still went ahead with the dism command - and it said it was successful. I have not had time to see if this worked yet, and don't want to wait another 4 or 5 hours to get this up if it didn't. This is stuff that is definitely outside of my realm of experience.

Any ideas? It's to the point where I'm tempted to backup everything essential on my OS drive, format it, and do a 100 percent clean install.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
@Kestrel

This looks nasty. I'm tired and did my best to give you some quick advice. Back up your stuff. My suggestions don't guarantee you don't bork your system :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

This may take some time and my not be worth your frustration if your willing to do a clean install, but...

Basically you want to repair Windows Update, Turn off/Prevent Automatic Updates, download the problem update and install manually. You may want to keep updates off. The way I do it is point AutoUpdate to a non existant server, so it can never find the updates. I can't find the update repair tool based on the post below, but it's out there I've used it before. Below are the only settings you need to change using GPEDIT part of the post at the bottom.

Run GPEDIT to configure Auto Updates
Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy
To configure the behavior of Automatic Updates

1. In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.
  2. In the details pane, click Configure Automatic Updates.
  3. Click Enabled and select one of the following options:

• (CHOOSE THIS FIRST OPTION)
    • Notify for download and notify for install. This option notifies a logged-on administrative user prior to the download and prior to the installation of the updates.

• Auto download and notify for install. This option automatically begins downloading updates and then notifies a logged-on administrative user prior to installing the updates.

• Auto download and schedule the install. If Automatic Updates is configured to perform a scheduled installation, you must also set the day and time for the recurring scheduled installation.

• Allow local admin to choose setting. With this option, the local administrators are allowed to use Automatic Updates in Control Panel to select a configuration option of their choice. For example, they can choose their own scheduled installation time. Local administrators are not allowed to disable Automatic Updates.
  4. Click OK.
Specify Intranet Microsoft Update Service Location

The settings for this policy enable you to configure a WSUS server that Automatic Updates will contact for updates. You must enable this policy in order for Automatic Updates to download updates from the WSUS server.
Enter the WSUS server HTTP(S) URL twice, so that the server specified for updates is also used for reporting client events. For example, type http(s)://servername in both boxes. Both URLs are required.
To redirect Automatic Updates to a WSUS server

1. In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.
  2. In the details pane, click Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location.
  3. Click Enabled and type the HTTP(S) URL of the same WSUS server in the Set the intranet update service for detecting updates box and in the Set the intranet statistics server box. For example, type http(s)://fakeservername.com in both boxes.
  4. Click OK.

http://fakeservername.com will keep WU from finding updates to download and install.

Post I found:

Page 2 of this link Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4054517 fails to install error 0x80070643

First check this out.

I think I've got this:
1- Disable automatic update
2- Clear temporary files running "Disk Cleanup" (you should clean up all system files too)
3 - Download and run this utility from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors
4 - Run the Windows update repair tool (the built-in utility you'll find in "Settings" Troubleshooting Windows 10 | Microsoft Press Store)
5 - Download and run the KB4054517 offline installer (Direct Download links for KB4054517 Windows 10 Build 16299.125)
6- Reboot and re-enable the automatic Windows updates. Check and you'll find the KB4054517 is now properly installed
I don't know if all the cleaning and repair tools are strictly necessary, but I did the above and it worked.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
@Led Zappa thanks for doing the work - I'll have a look, but I suspect I might need sleep before I comprehend it :laugh: If I have any questions, I'll definitely post them here - don't feel like you have to rush back though - enjoy your Christmas holiday!

Reactions: Led Zappa

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Well, I just shut down and restarted my computer - it seems that what I did, despite the computer reporting that the processes to be killed weren't there - has worked. KB4054517 is reporting now that it is properly installed. I'm not holding my breath yet though - we'll see if the laptop continues to behave. Thanks again though Led Zappa, I appreciate you giving me a write up on what I could have tried!

Reactions: Led Zappa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad