Injury Report: Stuart out until Feb

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That means you need to recall a player otherwise your lineup would be less than 12 forwards or 6 d. Since we always carry 7 d we have yet to make a single callup that qualifies for the agreement. A callup from the CHL is only allowed for the 3rd such recall.

Why would Brouillette and Chiarot not be those 2 callups? Does our AHL farm team also having half their D injured not count for anything?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Why would Brouillette and Chiarot not be those 2 callups? Does our AHL farm team also having half their D injured not count for anything?

The Jets never got to a state where they only had 5 D men on the active roster and needed to callup someone to fill out the roster. Any callup we made was only replacing the 7th one. Some of this is timing of the IR and we seem to be in no rush to do it for some reason. Trouba just went on IR today.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stuart is an average to below average third pairing defenseman who gets top four minutes. I'm really not sure what else to tell you if you believe he's better than that, other than I disagree and don't really have anything else to say.

Yes, he was being played as a #4D. So what. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Postma or even perhaps Clitsome are interchangeable with Stuart.

Of course it sucks to lose another defenseman, but this is somehow the straw that breaks the camel's back? They've been 6-1-3 since Enstrom's injury, but we're cuing up the tank talk because Mark Stuart was lost? Give me a freaking break.

Yep...?

I've never said anything different, he's an average #5/6 dman. Always has been, always will be. I'd be just fine with him on the bottom pairing, but he gets used in a role that's above his skill level.

I never said Stuart was any better than that. The fact is that he has been our 4D whether anybody likes it or not. Postma is NOT interchangeable with Stuart. He may be better than Stuart but he plays the wrong side. Until he was hurt last year Clitsome was playing ahead of Stuart. This year he has not been good and is playing behind both Stuart and Pardy. Stuart is better than Pardy. The only 1 of these who should be above the 5-7 level might be Postma.

You didn't see any tank talk from me. Some pessimism because we are missing all of our top 4 D yes. We got through that last game against a not very good team that was tired with the help of some good goaltending and some luck. Give ME a freaking break! Ben Chiarot is playing on our 1st pair fcs!

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Even if Maurice didn't give explicit instructions to the D to avoid fights you would think that all should have had enough smarts to realize that the situation on D was already precarious and to avoid further injuries by NOT fighting. Stu is a dummy!:rant:

Agreed. He should have just stood there and let the Buffalo forward who chased him down and dropped the gloves pummel him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Jets never got to a state where they only had 5 D men on the active roster and needed to callup someone to fill out the roster. Any callup we made was only replacing the 7th one. Some of this is timing of the IR and we seem to be in no rush to do it for some reason. Trouba just went on IR today.

Since you can put guys on the IR retroactively it makes sense to wait til the last second. Might as well have that roster flexibility even if it's highly unlikely the player will come back before they would be eligible.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I never said Stuart was any better than that. The fact is that he has been our 4D whether anybody likes it or not. Postma is NOT interchangeable with Stuart. He may be better than Stuart but he plays the wrong side. Until he was hurt last year Clitsome was playing ahead of Stuart. This year he has not been good and is playing behind both Stuart and Pardy. Stuart is better than Pardy. The only 1 of these who should be above the 5-7 level might be Postma.

You didn't see any tank talk from me. Some pessimism because we are missing all of our top 4 D yes. We got through that last game against a not very good team that was tired with the help of some good goaltending and some luck. Give ME a freaking break! Ben Chiarot is playing on our 1st pair fcs!

Context is important. I was originally replying to a poster (who may have been joking) who said that Stuart's injury was going to send this team into tank mode.

Harrison should replace Stu's contributions just fine.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
This idea that every Jet has to take all comers has to end. The Scheifele fight a few games back was a WTF moment. Why is Bambi dropping the gloves?

Stuart taking on Deslauriers - I mean why? Nothing to gain at that juncture of the game. And honestly, as far as the Deslauriers hit on Scheifele, it wasn't that bad. He never even fell down, and lets face it Scheif trips over the blue line twice a game.

I mean I appreciate the fight that Stu has in him, but we need to be smart too.

Good luck with that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I really don't think it would be a good idea to recall Morrissey under these circumstances but the working of this emergency recall rule seems a little excessive. I get that it is supposed to be difficult to do but if having the top 4 out of your 7 D injured plus at least 3 of your farm team's D isn't enough to trigger the provision then I can't imagine any realistic scenario that would. They might just as well say that recalling players from junior is absolutely prohibited and be done with it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Context is important. I was originally replying to a poster (who may have been joking) who said that Stuart's injury was going to send this team into tank mode.

Harrison should replace Stu's contributions just fine.

Harrison is probably close to Stu all-in-all, a little better or a little worse. He will need a little time to adapt to Maurice's systems. The idea of the last straw is that it is quite small by itself but added to what came before it pushes you over the edge. I think losing Stu might very well have been that last straw or maybe it was Trouba going down. I really wonder how that last game would have gone against a better opponent even with Stu there. Both Boston and Philly have been struggling a bit this year so maybe we can hold it together for 2 more games but then we have Chi, Minny x2 and the Isles. That is when we will find out how well the string and bubble gum is holding. If Boston and Philly beat us then we are really in trouble. Even if we lose all 6 of those games though it is still not a true 'tank'. Tanking is deliberate and I am never in favour of that. I really enjoyed those last couple of wins last year too. Draft position be damned. But if some fans want to talk about their tank fantasy that's their privilege.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Based on Mort's post, this will be our D lineup tomorrow:

String - Buff
Bubble gum - Twine
Duct tape - Bailing wire

Should be ... interesting.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We'll be fine.

... as long as our forwards play D and score a bunch of goals at the same time.

Well, they've been doing that since about the fifth game of the season. I truly think we can whether the storm of also losing Stuart, given we have another warm body who may be arguably close to replacing his contributions.

Gotta play the games to find out, but the real losses were Enstrom, Trouba and Bogo. Two of them are coming back in 2-4wks.

Hold the fort, valiant depth d-men! :laugh:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Well, sure. Except for the bunch of goals thing. ;)

Well, that was a more recent development. :sarcasm:

I'm not shouting DOOM! But I do have a 300 Spartans feeling about these upcoming games. We're going to need some heroic effort. We will miss Stu.

I'm surprised no one has said it yet: Tomorrow should be interesting.

Hey! :rant: Go sit in the corner with silver - you're benched! ;)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Based on Mort's post, this will be our D lineup tomorrow:

String - Buff
Bubble gum - Twine
Duct tape - Bailing wire

Should be ... interesting.

Interesting, yup. But I never said anything about twine, duct tape or baling wire. You've got them in for Clitsome, Pardy and Postma. Same difference though so what the heck. :)

Seriously, it is going to be interesting. I'm sure everybody will be just that much more conscious of defensive play. I hope they don't tense up too much. Under normal circumstances they could have Buff and Chiarot or Pardy and Postma or Clirsome and Brouillette/Harrison playing behind them and they'd think nothing of it. All they will be missing will be those other shifts when it would have been Toby and Bogo.

I can't match your level of optimism (and don't want to) but it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom either. We can save that for after the games have been played.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
han+solo.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad