Strenth

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Six Pack requires two things
1. Very little to No fat on your body (meaning lots of running and weight lifting)
2. Strong abs (crunches and all that junk)

Doing crunches and such won't give you a six pack unless you lose the fat that's covering the muscles and crunches won't do jack to make you lose the fat. Running helps the most (look into HIIT, it's all over the place on the web and in this forum) and if coupled with weight lifting, helps even more. Muscle requires more calories to sustain than fat does, therefore the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn naturally. Also note that there's no such thing as spot burning of fat. You can't just focus on only burning fat around your stomach. You have to burn fat all over your body in order to get rid of any kind of fat around your stomach if you have any.

Strong legs = Squats, Leg Press the most. There's other things like lunges, deadlifts and all that fun stuff, but Squats are the best and Leg Press is a nice way to switch it up. Deadlifts are also great for the back, glutes, ab region and pretty much the whole body.
Check this out to learn more about the benefits of deadlifting
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson101.htm

Arms = There's so much you can do for arms. Just look it up.

Too bad I don't actually do this stuff on a regular basis, but I've been told and read in a lot of places that this is how to do it.
Just make a routine or ask someone who works out a lot help you make one up and you should be able to get started.

Although just a note for you. You don't need a "six pack" to be better. Strong abs is what you need, six pack or not. Strong arms should be the least of your priorities although strong wrists and forearms are a plus. Also leg strength is your most important focus for hockey followed by core strength (abs, lower back, etc.), make sure you know that. Upper body strength doesn't do you that much good in hockey unless you're an enforcer.

Last edited:

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
You're also going to have to look at your diet if you want those six pack abs. You can run and do all the sit ups you want, if you can't get rid of your body fat, you'll never get them.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I dunno about a six pack, but walking close to an hour a day has lost me a good couple inches around the waist.

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
6 pack abs? If you don't know what it takes to get them, then you probably won't be seeing them any time soon. How is a 6 pack gonna help you play better hockey, anyway?

Start doing squats/lunges etc. if you want to play hockey, do the crunches if you want to go to the beach.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Leg presses aren't nearly as productive as deadlifts or squats, and if you're doing deads and squats on your leg day, your legs will be spent before you get a chance to do leg presses. If you want to 'switch it up', start doing box squats, and do an alternated grip on the deadlift.

For routines? Read; http://www.ironaddicts.com/top 5 lifting.html

Lots of good articles here; http://www.ironaddicts.com/Articles.html. His forums are a great place to get info, too.

Last edited:

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I ditched my 6 pack in favor of a keg.......

Nah everyone is pretty much dead on. If your doing it to look good then just focus on losing as much weight as possible. If your trying to improve yourself from a hockey standpoint then i would focus on strengthening your abs with sit ups. I would also recomend the Ab Lounge, that thing is awesome.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
If you're doing it for the ice vs. the beach don't just work your abs via situps. You need to work your lower back and your obliques to obtain a solid core the is key for balance. In addition make sure to work your legs as well.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
A strong core is good for balance. Definitely work on your lower back, and abdomen.

I'd worry less about looking good, and more about getting strong. If you're not strength training on a regular basis right now, I'd get my strength up to a respectable level, then work on getting my reps up, then start doing something more specific (like bodybuilding or powerlifting). The first article I linked you to has a good hardgainer routine, but I think the Dogg Crap routine is better. I'm doing a modifited Dogg Crap routine right now, and it's workin' great for me. DC isn't fancy, but it works for lots and lots of people.

Also, if you want to 'get strong fast', uh, well. What's fast to you? To most peoples body, fast would be going from a 120 pound bench to a 280 pound bench in a year. And that is VERY fast. To most peoples minds, fast would be going from 120-280 in two months. You're not going to get strong in two months, it takes dedication.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad