Streit placed on waivers (Update: contract terminated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In Radulov's case, I would rather they had extended him at his current deal while he turns 31 than having to extend Pacioretty when his deal is up (and he will be 30 about to turn 31). Simply because Radulov showed up in the playoffs. Pacioretty has a history of not being too effective.

The only way I'm okay with the way things played out is if Pacioretty is traded. Because he has enough value (probably 2nd highest value after Price and probably the highest now at 4.5M and Price starting his 10.5M contract next year).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We're working with 3 totally new pairings and a coach who is really starting fresh... expecting them to gel off the bat was something I never thought would happen.

As for Radulov, it's false to say I don't value him highly, I rather think I value him accurately and appropriately.

I also haven't judged him now, in fact the post you quoted, I'm specifically saying how it's too early to judge pretty much everything.

And you know what I've said about Radulov over the summer, I could do like everyone here and jump the gun, but it's too early not to mentuon, cheap.

About Radulov, what I remember from a couple of exchanges is that you didn't appear to value him as highly as most of us do. I remember that you were skeptical on account of him having played only one NHL season and you felt that wasn't enough of an indicator. This is what I meant to say. Saying you value him "accurately" and "appropriately" now evoke a personal appreciation -- and I respect your opinion. I just happen to have a more positive outlook about him. Could be I'll be proven wrong.

I certainly appreciate that the defensive pairings are new however, when you posted that you're reserving judgment on all of these Hab current players, none of the ones you quoted are within the same talent stratosphere as Radulov. Hence, even exercising patience with them, they remain low ceiling types and likely won't be significantly better than they are now based on their track record. I'm thus submitting that Radulov's performance should definitely be better since he has the higher ceiling and has already demonstrated that last year.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Auf Wiedersehen to a true gentleman and Good Luck in the Olympics.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
You were right about what? Did anyone have any expectations for Streit other than providing some depth? Did anyone post "Ya, I think Streit is gonna come in and give us 40+ points and play first pair with Weber." No. Everyone thought he was a guy who would fight for minutes on the 3rd pair at best.

The fact we cut bait so quickly just shows what a nothing move he was. A healthy roster and one of Mete/Jerabek making the team was a nail in his coffin no matter what. With Mete establishing himself, and Schlemko back healthy, the writing was on the wall.

It was a nothing move, with zero risk, and was essentially a cheap insurance policy. The fact this thread is 20+ pages is borderline embarrassing for this fanbase.

The fact that this GM has run the D depth so far into no man's land and chose to resort to signing mother f***ing Mark Streit as a solution is the embarrassing part. The fact that people are finally calling him on his BS is not surprising nor embarrassing in the least.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The fact that this GM has run the D depth so far into no man's land and chose to resort to signing mother ****ing Mark Streit as a solution is the embarrassing part. The fact that people are finally calling him on his BS is not surprising nor embarrassing in the least.
Is the depth really that bad?

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Davidson-Benn
(Jerabek-Lernout-Juulsun)

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
The depth isn't bad at all, the depth is actually better than last season. The issue is subtracting Markov , and replacing him with Alzner. The quality of puck movement and distribution went down because of that. Not saying Alzner is bad, I for one like him, and better than Emelin at that, but that's where the issue is- not the depth.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Is the depth really that bad?

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Davidson-Benn
(Jerabek-Lernout-Juulsun)

Have you watched them play?

The standout in that group thus far is Mete. Great start for him but should an undersized teenager with no prior pro experience be our best player on the blue line? Petry and Alzner have looked mostly bad. Weber hasn't been bad, he's been fine, but he's been unremarkable and that's a problem.

A whole bunch of bodies does not necessarily equate to depth. There's very little standout skill in that group. None of them are really great at anything aside from Weber's shot and his increasingly rare bodychecks. As a group they're not particularly tough, intimidating, offensively creative, overly mobile, adept at moving the puck, great puck handlers or rock solid defensively.

Does anyone really believe that this is a championship caliber group of defencemen? Is it better than last season? The season before that? Bergevin has made his D worse from where I'm standing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Even if he shuts out every game, these bums need to score to win... so there's that

Generally you need 3 goals to win a hockey game. 2 goals, with elite goaltending should net you a point.

So, if you swap the Buffalo and Toronto games.. we are right where we should be with Price.. a win (1 game scoring 3 goals), an OTL (1 game scoring 2 goals).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Carey is a $10.5M goalie in 25% of his games next year, I predict we're going to be very, very happy.
Price has won many games for us over the years. There aren't too many that we've lost because of him. I didn't see the game Saturday (though I did see one of the goals and it was weak) but it sounds like he was bad. As long as he's his old self going forward then I don't care about the contract. If he dips though...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Should have never been signed. That’s the point
But what does it change on the team that he was signed.....he’s gone now and it affected the team ZERO.....he will be replaced by another 750,000$ player, how was the streit signing detrimental to the team??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->