Streaming? Good strategy or cheap sportsmanship?

Streaming players?

• Like it (if the league allows for it, why not?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate it (bs way to win)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
If there is no transaction limit don't see how it could be considered cheap as its within the rules and is a strategy. My league used to have have 4 moves per week , but since not everybody wants to be swapping players out everyday I added a 55 transaction cap for the year. It makes the transactions feel more valuable and makes you have to be a bit more careful with who you add.

I probably wouldn't play in a league with no limit as it would hurt teams that don't utilize it every week or favor ones with bad teams with a bunch of droppable guys (would be worse with a bunch of counting stats)

Reactions: RonTextall

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
Its possible to handcuff yourself or make poor decisions by streaming, so I don't necessarily think that those who are doing it have an unfair advantage. But its kind of annoying sometimes to see it because its usually just one or two teams doing it in a league. One of my leagues has a 3 move weekly limit and another 4. Those are ok, but sometimes you make a move or two and then you get a couple injuries and you're stuck for however many days until you can address it. In the league where I am the commissioner, we have a 10 move weekly limit. Its more symbolic in that its not unlimited, but we don't have any streamers. And if you are hit with a bunch of things at the same time, you won't have a problem (although IR+ has really helped in this regard, if your league has a couple of those spots, you could easily make due with a smaller limit.).

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I've played in leagues with weekly roster freezes and no transaction limits - didn't mind it. Leagues with daily roster sets and unlimited acquisitions just favor those who are willing to dedicate too much...

The current league I'm in limits us to 7 acquisitions a week and daily roster sets and I feel that's fair while allowing those who want to be more active a small edge without being overwhelmingly unfair.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
I don't play in any leagues with no max on adds/drops. You get some real stupid schemes by people trying to win at all costs. Years ago in a fantasy baseball league we had a guy stream 46 players for a 7-day matchup in the playoffs. Next season we implemented a weekly max. Just a matter how how much you want to allow, and if by the week or an overall season limit. I think it's wise to have a limit of some sort.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
depends on the type of league .

if its a yahoo public league and someone gets off on winning a virtual trophy with the aid of streaming then knock yourself out man .

most dynasty leagues that I participate in have weekly pick up limits of 3 & the streaming seems to cool off once the gm's start keeping some of the players they've picked up since they become worthy to own compared to whats on the available free agent heap .

I've seen a league allow pikups through the playoffs but once the season was over any player claimed during the playoffs had to be dropped --this could curb some of the desperate playoff hail marys some guys might make on the final day if desperate for stats in a dynasty league

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Yeah our trade deadline in my dynasty league also freezes the free agency and waiver wire as of February 27th with our finals running through March. The freeze makes the playoffs somewhat unnerving, given that you're stuck with your roster and only your farm team for reinforcements if injuries happen.

Trade market reopens in May, entry draft is shortly after the NHL draft and free agency opens sometime in late July/early August. It keeps things reasonably fair across the board.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I absolutely hate being short-handed due to schedule, so I'm all for unlimited signings.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Almost all of my leagues have some sort of weekly or yearly add limit. I don't think I'd ever play in a league that didn't have one. I play almost all dynasties though. In a one year league, there has to be some sort of limit.

Reactions: kk

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
We do have an annual limit of 33, but I would prefer a weekly limit of 5 or so in order to be able to plug all the holes (we have daily changes with G,D,D,LW,C,RW fielded every day).

klassic

Jul 30, 2014
I play in several keeper leagues. All have weekly limits and having a streaming spot is very helpful. Maximize games played and catch up on categories at the end of the week. I plan my weekly rosters and find the days where I am light and plan accusations according to team schedules. I typically use most of my adds every week either for competition this week. Or if I am far ahead I use them to set up next weeks roster.

No limit is a bad idea especially if it is a 1 year league.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I'd rather have a weekly limit than an annual one. In the latter case, each week it's an agonizing decision: plug a hole or save for later?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Injuries are part of the real sport. So injuries are part of fantasy, too.

I think it's ridiculous to have no limit on player transactions. A team making 10+ waiver/free agent pickups in a week isn't anything like a fantasy hockey team, it's just a spreadsheet with a lot of rows.

It's no fun to get a great starting goalie on your team, only to lose to your opponent who grabbed 4 different backup goalies who happened to start a game each.

Fantasy hockey is about pretending to run your own team. Not some business course, micro-transactions 101 "how to nickle and dime you'r way to success".

Reactions: kk

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
In real hockey, you don't play shorthanded without actually getting a penalty. If you want to emulate real hockey, limit each player to 1 real game during a game period. Then no streaming will be needed.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
If you want your fantasy league to resemble real NHL, then maybe you should do the following:

1.A game period should last 2-3 days (I suppose depending on the schedule), not 1 week.
2.You can field 1 starting goalie and 1 backup, whose stats count only if the starter doesn't actually play.
3.You can also field 6 D, 4 LW, 4 C and 4 RW.
4.You should probably have a nice bench/farm team pool (Yahoo allows no more than 30 players, so it would be 10 reserves).
5.Every starter should be able to play only 1 game per game period. If his real team plays more than 1 game during the game period, you pick beforehand which game's stats will count for the player.

Then and only then, no streaming will be necessary. You can probably limit free agent signings to 1 per week or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad