Strategic silence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I wonder if the owners are planning to declare impasse in January, rather than wait until next fall?

It says in the article there is no time constraint to doing so.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
What I was thinking is that ownership might obtain a ruling of impasse, and not use replacement players. That is , if they can put through that contracts are not guaranteed and 2 way, then when they can declare impasse they can lose alot of problem contracts. This is dependent upon whether contracts are currently guaranteed through language in the individual contracts or through the contract being guaranteed by way of the CBA stating that all contracts are guaranteed. If it is the latter, I think they could do that. Then, if the League is able to lose all the problem contracts and they do not use replacements to start up, it could serve as an impetus for players to make a deal.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
fan mao rong said:
What I was thinking is that ownership might obtain a ruling of impasse, and not use replacement players. That is , if they can put through that contracts are not guaranteed and 2 way, then when they can declare impasse they can lose alot of problem contracts. This is dependent upon whether contracts are currently guaranteed through language in the individual contracts or through the contract being guaranteed by way of the CBA stating that all contracts are guaranteed. If it is the latter, I think they could do that. Then, if the League is able to lose all the problem contracts and they do not use replacements to start up, it could serve as an impetus for players to make a deal.

I doubt they'd be able to backtrack on existing contracts.... The Leclair's Turgeon's & Yashin's of the world will still get their money.......

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
PepNCheese said:
I wonder if the owners are planning to declare impasse in January, rather than wait until next fall?

It says in the article there is no time constraint to doing so.

The sooner the owners declare impasse the better for everyone that owns a business in all arena districts

:yo: :teach: :banana: :jump: :handclap:

HckyFght*

The league should set a date, December 1, for the union to come around. If they aren't in serious negotiations by then, an impasse should be declared and the training camp doors should open and tryouts should begin. Any NHLer who still wants to play should get back to work. Start up the season during the Christmas Holidays, movie ticket prices, old school hockey with no instigator rule, and the lines on the ice back to their pre-Bettman configuration. Enough is enough.
-HckyFght!

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
HckyFght said:
The league should set a date, December 1, for the union to come around. If they aren't in serious negotiations by then, an impasse should be declared and the training camp doors should open and tryouts should begin. Any NHLer who still wants to play should get back to work. Start up the season during the Christmas Holidays, movie ticket prices, old school hockey with no instigator rule, and the lines on the ice back to their pre-Bettman configuration. Enough is enough.
-HckyFght!

:troll: :bonk:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
there are no negotiations because there is nothing to negotiate....salary cap or no cap. there is not middle ground on that issue.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
HckyFght said:
Is this good or bad?
-HckyFght! :help:

-HckyFght

Re-read your post. There is no way Bettman is gonna undo changes he and the governors put in place. Bettman is a lot of things, and stubborn is at the top of the list.

HckyFght*

Bettman might also be angling to keep his job too. A lot of the changes proposed at the GM's summit last spring were simply gussied up roll backs of Bettman era decisions. To get fans into the buildings to see the replacement games, resorting to old time hockey only makes sense.

But I say fire Bettman and get Ken Dryden or David Poille, we could probably start a movement for that right here and now!
-HckyFght!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->