Strapping on the blades again (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnalogKid

Jul 26, 2005
Windsor, Colorado
Hey former 'D' Leaguer here, pondering getting back into the rink. I haven't skated all that much for about 4 years and was never really good to begin with, but I miss the friendship and fun a midnight beer league can bring. As well as some much needed exercise!

I moved to a new town this summer and drove by to check out the rink on a whim. Now I am getting more into it, and maybe will even check out the "stick-and-puck" session tomorrow. I am a little apprehensive though. Even for my size (6'2" 230lbs.) I get intimidated out there, and know there will be better skaters and I know it'll probably be really busy. I just want a chance to skate around with the equipment on, maybe see if my hard shot is still there, and just kind of get a feel for the ice again.

I know I won't really be bothered by anyone, but I guess I need to hear from some of you out in Hockey Nation if there are similar stories or any advise about getting back into it!

Thanking you in advance,

TheKid. :)

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Do it.

I had never played organized hockey as a kid, just pick up and pond Hockey.

Living here in L.A. I got kinda home sick and just like you, on a whim went to a rink and signed up. That was two years ago and I was 33 at the time. I was playing at the lowest level, and then after a couple of seasons I tryed out for a higher level and was placed on a team. so I am playing two nights a week now and am improving every time i get out there. Its a blast. My lower level team got bumped up because we went undefeated one season, and the league administration asked me to captian a beginner team next season.

best advice would be to just find the best guy on your team and learn from him. Basicaly I just told my captian on my first day that I'm a noobie and I need you to yell at me for a while till I learn, and it worked out great. he put me on defence with the best player on the team as my D partner and he yells and more importantly encourages me every step of the way.

Most important rule is to have fun Dang it! :teach:

Sakic19

Oct 9, 2002
Left Wing
Visit site
TheAnalogKid said:
Hey former 'D' Leaguer here, pondering getting back into the rink. I haven't skated all that much for about 4 years and was never really good to begin with, but I miss the friendship and fun a midnight beer league can bring. As well as some much needed exercise!

I moved to a new town this summer and drove by to check out the rink on a whim. Now I am getting more into it, and maybe will even check out the "stick-and-puck" session tomorrow. I am a little apprehensive though. Even for my size (6'2" 230lbs.) I get intimidated out there, and know there will be better skaters and I know it'll probably be really busy. I just want a chance to skate around with the equipment on, maybe see if my hard shot is still there, and just kind of get a feel for the ice again.

I know I won't really be bothered by anyone, but I guess I need to hear from some of you out in Hockey Nation if there are similar stories or any advise about getting back into it!

Thanking you in advance,

TheKid. :)

I don't think you have a thing to worry about...I restarted at 29 after damn near 13 years away from the game. Got my skating down for six months and started playing pickup with players way beyond where I ever was. They were more then helpful and understanding of my mistakes, and cheered me on when my game was advancing. Bottom line is, it's good to play with players beyond your skill level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->