Strange verbiage from Bob McKenzie on TSN

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Countdown to TradeCentre: Who's a seller? - Article - TSN

It's an article listing the teams likely to sell at the deadline, and what players will likely be available. But here's how he brought up the Wings:

"But Detroit, they’ve won a little bit more than they want to even lately, but Mike Green, he’s going to be available - expiring contract."

Now I don't know what (if any) additional context preceded that statement. But it's a very weird choice of words, hearing, '... they've won a little bit more than they want to...", especially juxtaposed against the extremely consistent narrative from Holland, about being competitive and winning as much as they can.

Maybe Bob misspoke, but strange stuff...

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Countdown to TradeCentre: Who's a seller? - Article - TSN

It's an article listing the teams likely to sell at the deadline, and what players will likely be available. But here's how he brought up the Wings:

"But Detroit, they’ve won a little bit more than they want to even lately, but Mike Green, he’s going to be available - expiring contract."

Now I don't know what (if any) additional context preceded that statement. But it's a very weird choice of words, hearing, '... they've won a little bit more than they want to...", especially juxtaposed against the extremely consistent narrative from Holland, about being competitive and winning as much as they can.

Maybe Bob misspoke, but strange stuff...
Maybe it's just from his perspective. We've won more than we should want to or something along those lines. If it's actually that Holland is secretly hoping to tank that'd be incredible haha. Honestly, I'm just happy to hear Bob reaffirm that we're going to trade Green. I'm always terrified of Holland deciding to try to resign him.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO it's in the context of what he earlier in the article calls "accepting their fate as sellers with the playoff picture become more clear". The RW are technically a .500 team 7 points out of the last WC spot, while the other teams he listed are pretty much done.

In that sense, the Red Wings have been more successful up to this point to where their focus now doesn't completely shifts to who finds a new home on 2/26.

That said, Green still better move at the deadline...

The other notable from the article is TB reportedly looking for a RH Dman. "Steve Yzerman, meet Mike Green". What would the Red Wings want back from Tampa?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
"They want" was his words not Holland's; this was more of a McKenzie opinion than true fact.

Because any reasonable person understands that the better the draft pick, the more likely it is Detroit gets the kind of player who can help them.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
....What would the Red Wings want back from Tampa?

Odds are the 1st round pick would be #31. So i would say at minimum 1st round pick...

1st round pick + Prospect would be nicer.

I would preferably trade green to any team offering a 1st that is not named tampa

Reactions: Winger98

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Odds are the 1st round pick would be #31. So i would say at minimum 1st round pick...

I would preferably trade green to any team offering a 1st that is not named tampa

Only chance of ever getting Stevie here is Tampa winning. On to Tampa!

I don’t see the harm he may leave if he wins the cup or not. If he signs so what? He won’t be amazing at age 35-37 when the wings are going on deep playoff runs

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit

Based on cap space, could TB even do this trade? I'm not a big fan of this (inter-divisional) trade, but do remember his contract ends this season. There is a high likelihood Green isn't even with the same team next season he is traded to this season.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just saw that Hedman left game yesterday with injury (no details). Even if he was on LTIR, I'm not sure if a TB has the cap space for a Green trade without another player from TB's cap umbrella.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Based on cap space, could TB even do this trade? I'm not a big fan of this (inter-divisional) trade, but do remember his contract ends this season. There is a high likelihood Green isn't even with the same team next season he is traded to this season.

If we retain on Green (thats 3 Mil)

Also salaries are calculated Daily.

teams bank their extra space daily.
So technically they will have needed a little under 1 mil space this whole time to afford him.

capfriendly:

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $4,280,683
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $9,096,451

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
We will trade Green to Tampa for negotiation rights to Stevie's next contract to GM the Red Wings.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The ideal situation would be to trade green at the TDL and bring him back this summer (if we can find the cap space)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wings looked done about 10 games ago. Now they're dangerously close to being in the mix again. It's just easier to pull the trigger on selling when you're way out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Does Tampa have a cap dump they'd want to ditch? Depending on the term remaining, maybe they could sweeten the deal, and do Green for the cap dump + a couple 1st rounders (or something along those lines).

It's those type of deals, adding more picks in exchange for the temporary garbage of other teams, for why I'd rather have a few million in cap space. I mean, if you know the team is mediocre, and needs a few more years for the other bad deals to come off the books, you might as well grab as many picks as possible in the meantime (assuming no acquired cap dumps have term longer than your other bad deals).

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Does Tampa have a cap dump they'd want to ditch? Depending on the term remaining, maybe they could sweeten the deal, and do Green for the cap dump + a couple 1st rounders (or something along those lines).

It's those type of deals, adding more picks in exchange for the temporary garbage of other teams, for why I'd rather have a few million in cap space. I mean, if you know the team is mediocre, and needs a few more years for the other bad deals to come off the books, you might as well grab as many picks as possible in the meantime (assuming no acquired cap dumps have term longer than your other bad deals).

Only guy I could see is Ryan Callahan. Maybe Tyler Johnson.
But you don't trade a Tyler Johnson away before going for the cup. Probably don't do it with Cally either.
More of an offseason move if you can swing it.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
But you don't trade a Tyler Johnson away before going for the cup. Probably don't do it with Cally either.

No way TB dumps Tyler Johnson. There's other players they'd do that to first.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yep, Tyler Johnson is playing far too well right now and Callahan has 2 more seasons after this one at 5.8 million so that's not a viable dump we'd take on.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

At the TDL, around 75% of Green is paid, so Tampa would be adding around $1.5M. With retention up to 50%, it could be as low as around $750k. A quick glance at CapFriendly shows Tampa has around a hair under $2M to play with.

I guess for Tampa, is having another puck moving Dman and PP QB worth the 1st+ to take the team deep in the playoffs? And maybe they see Green as somebody they could keep in the fold for a reasonable price. Greens made at least $5M in salary the last 10 years, so maybe he focuses on winning a Cup instead of getting a pay day. Tampa's probably going to be a contender for a few seasons and the taxes are better there. Given Sustr and Kunitz come off the books this summer and the cap increase is supposed to be substantial, they have room without hindering their ability to reward Kucherov in the near future. They could probably move Coburn if the need the room.

The only real "bad" deals Tampa has on the books (where they might cough up some assets to get rid of) would be Callahan and Coburn. However, both have a full NMC/NTC until the start of 18-19, so I doubt they'd waive them to leave a Cup favorite to go to a "team that isn't rebuilding and still wants to try to make the playoffs but isn't in the playoffs". I doubt they look to make any cap dump deals until the offseason, if needed.

If I'm Holland I put on my salesman pants and try to work Mrazek in the deal too. "Boy sure would suck to have Vasilevsky go down and face running a Budaj/Domingue tandem down the stretch or in the playoffs." or "Just got off the phone with Garth. He's doing great by the way. Was asking about Mrazek. Boy, wouldn't it be something if they got him, locked down the last wildcard spot and then have a goalie that's got a playoff resume of 1.87GAA and .93SV% in 10 games all against Tampa Bay?" :naughty:

Green/Mrazek (both at 50% retained)

for

2018 1st/Libor Hajek/Dotchin or Koekkoek or conditionals depending on where Tampa reaches in the POs/Green re-signing/games played by Mrazek/etc.

Reactions: BinCookin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad