Stralman vs. Johnson

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Since I've only seen Johnson play, I have to go with him.

Stralman is a very intriguing prospect however. It will be interesting to see how his game translates to the NHL.

Still, I can’t say Stralman is at the same level of prospect yet. It is too soon to completely ignore the 213 pick difference in their draft positions (I know draft position doesn’t really mean squat in the long run, but I do think it has to mean something only 2 years after), especially when Johnson has done nothing to show he shouldn’t have been a very high pick.

Of course, that doesn't mean Stralman isn't proving that he is much more than a 6th round pick. I wonder where he would go if the draft was redone today. Probably 1st round, but how high???

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Johnson and it's nto even close. I can't believe that people are voting for Stralman here at all (I'm talking about the non-sarcastic posts). Stralman isn't even as good as Marc Staal. How would he be better than Jack Johnson (who is a small step above Staal)?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
huh? :biglaugh:

anyways..........its unlikely you've ever seen either of them play.

:biglaugh:

wow..........I highly doubt you know anything about me.

I have seen Jack Johnson play for the University of Michigan.

And I have seen Stralman play a couple of times with Sweden in the IIHF tournament.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Johnson and it's nto even close. I can't believe that people are voting for Stralman here at all (I'm talking about the non-sarcastic posts). Stralman isn't even as good as Marc Staal. How would he be better than Jack Johnson (who is a small step above Staal)?

Its a ALOT closer then you think it is.

I dont know about the second part.

Stralman had played like a veteran, at the age of 20, with men in the SEL. Lets see what he can do in NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Its a ALOT closer then you think it is.

I dont know about the second part.

Stralman had played like a veteran, at the age of 20, with men in the SEL. Lets see what he can do in NHL.

We SHOULD see what he can do before a late round pick is hyped up so much. A lot of times late round picks have great European careers because they just don't have "it" to succeed at the NHL level.

Again, I'm not dissing the guy but it's a lot to ask for to take a pick that late to be as good as some guys who are the hype machines claim. It was pretty hard to convince others that Henrik Lundqvist was good -- and he was one of the most dominating players outside of the NHL if not THE most dominating. And that was playing against NHLers in Sweden ;)

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
As over hyped as Stralman is, he's not JMFJ.

Maybe if he actually does live up to that hype, he could be.

Roy G Biv*

Leaf Fans Think Stralman Is Better Than Jack Johnson Omg!!!!!!11111

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Everyone smrt knows that Stralman is the next Lidstrom...I mean he's Swedish, did good in the Swedish elite league, got drafted in a mid-late round, and some guy said so. Not to mention he belongs to the Leafs so he'll probably be better...:sarcasm:

Seriously, it's ridiculous that this thread was even made....it's an insult to Johnson until Stralman plays in the NHL, or tries to.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
While it's too early to predict just how Strahlman will fare in the NHL, just wanted to mention that we've had the opportunity to see his game here in North America as well. At the World Juniors in Vancouver (two years ago??), he was considered one of the top defenceman in the tournament. And he has only continued to impress. imo, it would be difficult to compare Johnson and Strahlman, anyway, as they are different type of defensemen. As a Leaf fan, I'm just looking forward to the possibility of a bright future for one of our prospects.

YouAreStupid

May 27, 2003
Oy vey. :shakehead

Way to go, dude. This thread will make the rest of this board think we're even worse than we already are (because everyone obviously knows that all Leaf fans are the same, unlike every other team in the league that has individual fans with different opinions/ideals.)

I can see it now: "LEAF FANS THINK STRALMAN IS BETTER THAN JACK JOHNSON OMG!!!!!!11111"

This would be a brutal thread even on the Leafs board...it's going to be a nightmare on the main boards.

Wonderful...I'll stand by for closing once the stereotyping and insults start flowing in for this monstrosity.
no kidding...

I saw this thread title and started to shake my head before I even ventured into the horror show.

hopefully Stralman can come over soon so everyone (Leaf fans, at least) can see he's not Superman.

mooseOAK*

One thing that I can't figure out is why Jack Johnson got traded for a mediocre Tim Gleason, based on what I read in here Rutherford has to be the biggest idiot in the world.

What was the story with that?

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
One thing that I can't figure out is why Jack Johnson got traded for a mediocre Tim Gleason, based on what I read in here Rutherford has to be the biggest idiot in the world.

What was the story with that?

He wouldn't play for them, or wouldn't turn pro and they didn't want to wait.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I still don't understand how people can get this impression. They've had comparable success in their junior leagues, but Staal has straight-up outplayed Johnson at the WJCs.

Apparently impenetrable defense is no match for big hits and offensive flair.

Freebooter

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
While it's too early to predict just how Strahlman will fare in the NHL, just wanted to mention that we've had the opportunity to see his game here in North America as well. At the World Juniors in Vancouver (two years ago??), he was considered one of the top defenceman in the tournament. And he has only continued to impress. imo, it would be difficult to compare Johnson and Strahlman, anyway, as they are different type of defensemen. As a Leaf fan, I'm just looking forward to the possibility of a bright future for one of our prospects.

I'm not trying to be deliberately antagonistic, but there is no factual support for that statement whatsoever, and it looks like Leaf fan based fantasy. If you look at the tournament page for the 2005-2006 WJC, Stralman, playing as a 19 year old, had 1 point, was not named as an all-star (you will note who was). In fact, from that tournament, you would think that Oscar Hedman was the best defensive prospect from Sweden, by far. JJ is a five tool player; IMO, Stralman is, at best, similar to Andrei Markov (which ain't half bad, just not a super-elite defenseman).

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...re/jsp/content/web_output/index.jsp@compId=55

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
It's an unfair comparison to make as they are different types of d-men, Stralman is an all around solid guy as Johnson is more of the offensive minded type who throws the odd big hit. To pickbetween the two would be unfair, but I will go on to say that I beleive that these 2 fellas along with Staal and EJ will be the talk of the NHL for years to come.

mooseOAK*

I'm not trying to be deliberately antagonistic, but there is no factual support for that statement whatsoever, and it looks like Leaf fan based fantasy. If you look at the tournament page for the 2005-2006 WJC, Stralman, playing as a 19 year old, had 1 point, was not named as an all-star (you will note who was). In fact, from that tournament, you would think that Oscar Hedman was the best defensive prospect from Sweden, by far. JJ is a five tool player; IMO, Stralman is, at best, similar to Andrei Markov (which ain't half bad, just not a super-elite defenseman).

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...re/jsp/content/web_output/index.jsp@compId=55

Hedman's defensive partner in that tournament was...Stralman. Without Hedman, Stralman was a first team all star in the SEL this past season at the age of 20.

Saying that Hedman is better looks like a non-Leafs fan fantasy.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
This thread isn't bad I don't think. I haven't seen Stralman except a tourney game, but you've got to be impressed with a kid his ages accomplishments. The SEL isn't the strongest league, but it's up there. Look at all the great talent the SEL has produced over the years...

Johnson on the other hand is much more well known and has been hyped since Shattuck's. He has all the tools to become a perennial Norris contender, but the question right now is whether his head will catch up with his skills. This is where he being in the spotlight works against him. Crosby is the only young kid in recent memory who has been under more scrutiny that I remember. That means that every mistake, misstep, and misplay is just magnified, and sometimes over emphasized.

Anyway, I don't think it's that bad of comparison at this point. Being compared to Lidstrom is a much higher mountain to climb than Jack Johnson.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Hedman's defensive partner in that tournament was...Stralman. Without Hedman, Stralman was a first team all star in the SEL this past season at the age of 20.

Saying that Hedman is better looks like a non-Leafs fan fantasy.

He said Hedman looked better in that particular tournament. More points, better +/-....I can see where he's coming from. Besides, his point was obviously that Stralman wasn't one of the best D's in the tournament, which is obviously true. I seem to remember both Johnsons, Barker and Emelin as being great in that tourney, amongst many others I would have thought of well before Stralman. Emelin in particular I remember being solid in that tournament, but then again, I'm a Habs fan.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I still don't understand how people can get this impression. They've had comparable success in their junior leagues, but Staal has straight-up outplayed Johnson at the WJCs.

Apparently impenetrable defense is no match for big hits and offensive flair.

:huh:

Johnson controlled the play at the college level which features mainly 20-24 year olds, while Staal controlled the game at the major junior level which features 16-19 year olds. Hard to compare how dominate they were towards each other.

Comparing Staal and Johnson is just not a good idea. They play too different styles. Staal is a rock, but will never be able to control the pace of the game the way Johnson does. I hope you did not get that impression because the canadian media tends to hype the canadian's U-20's as all future all-stars while negleting all other countries. I will not comment on who I think is better because they are both great prospects.

Back on topic, at this point I fail to see how you can compare JJ and Stralman. Much too early and at this point Stralman has yet to even step foot on NA ice. JJ wins no questions asked to this point. Comparing what looks like a very nice late round steal to one of hockey's very best prospects? I am sorry, no way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->