Strachan's latest musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

These guys have more hiding places for their revenues than al-Qaida has for Osama bin Laden. That's why Bain Capital LLC's offer to buy the entire league for $3.5 billion -- considerably more than it is worth as determined by its own Levitt Report -- was rejected out of hand.

Perhaps Al would care to the part of the Levitt report that states the value of the franchises, let alone claims it is under 3.5B?

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Thunderstruck said:
Is it too much to ask that Al get his basic facts straight.

Rhetorical, I know, but the answer is yes. ;)

I think commentators on both sides of the issue are now more concerned selling papers and improving ratings than they are with the facts. I also think it's not going to change until a deal is reached.

The best response, as a consumer, is to completely ignore them until they bring some honesty back into their work. Don't reward any of them for this stuff. (Unlikely, of course. It's like asking people not to watch a train wreck. :))

ResidentAlien*

I think it is equally amusing that he gets so much space here at HF.
Why not just create a sticky:
"Stuff Al says that pisses me off"
I guess I fail to see how dissing him gets filed uner " The Business of hockey"
Maybe his articles relate to the business, but these posts and or threads are just "Strach-Bashing"

SENSible1*

mr gib said:
semantics -

It is not semantics.

The PA hasn't responded with a rejection or counter-offer.

Simple point of fact and Al is, once again, 100% wrong.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He is not the only one reporting the story that way, for whatever that is worth. Even on the local radio news this morning, which they basically get from places like the AP newsire, the blurb was NHL puts forth two proposal, one capped and one linked and the union rejected both.

ps, having read the article, what did he and people who think like him expect? Bettman said that once the season was lost revenues would be harmed greatly and therefore the offer would decrease. Virtually everyone on this board, including some of the unions' biggest supporters on this board, said the same and called the NHLPA nuts for not taking the $42 - $45 million. So now that the owners have followed through and reduced the guarenteed $$ (albeit along with some minor new sweeteners like a set floor, etc.) the NHLPA and some supporters like Strachan and others here are expressing shock that the offer is indeed lower? :shakehead

This has only one way to go. The players can not catch a train that has already left the station, the only question is how much it is going to cost them to catch up to the train. The longer they wait the more it will cost them. We all knew that before they jumped off that cliff hand in hand with the owners, we all also knew that the owners could afford the jump more than the players could. In the end it is entirely up to the players, as it always was. How much are they willing to lose before they cry uncle?

Last edited:

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
It is not semantics.

The PA hasn't responded with a rejection or counter-offer.

Simple point of fact and Al is, once again, 100% wrong.

I would enjoy seeing opinion-peddlers (proponents on both sides) called on their mistakes publicly. I know, there's letters to the editor, roundtable discussions, etc, but I mean they just write whatever they want and the next day write something else.

If there was a suprise news conference this morning with Bettman and Goodenow wearing their little NHL ballcaps pronouncing a deal with a 38m cap, Strachan would look like a complete idiot, but still be allowed to write about something else the next day.

The guy continually bemoaned the cheap owners not paying "market value" for players the last 10 years, championing Yashin etc. His bias is obvious, and I don't begrudge him that as an op/ed writer.

But the misrepresentation of facts ("rejection" is not semantics, it would mean the players formally rejected the offer with no counter-proposal) to bolster an argument that may already have merits on its own is wrong.

If I owned a bird, I would buy the paper he writes for to keep the cage clean.

Other than that, he undermines the integrity of the profession, IMO.

blamebettman*

the NHLPA did not have any kind words for the leagues two offers. It was pretty much a rejection, but they'll come back with there own offer(s) in a few days.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Thunderstruck said:
Is it too much to ask that Al get his basic facts straight. The PA did NOT reject yesterday's proposals.

Click here for the rest of the "article".

They may not have officially rejected, but you know that a rejection or counter-offer (rejection) is coming

SENSible1*

nyrmessier011 said:
They may not have officially rejected, but you know that a rejection or counter-offer (rejection) is coming

A counter-offer is not a rejection.

The PA is currently considering their position. They have not rejected the offer.

It is a simple fact and Strachan got it wrong.

blamebettman*

but that's what the rhetoric is. When the PA came in with a 49 mil cap after the NHL had 42.5, it was pretty much called a rejection, even though it is technically a counter offer.

when you're negotiating so far apart, there are no real counter offers to be taken seriously.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you want to determine the NHL's league revenues, you'd better call Donovan. You're trying to catch the wind.

These guys have more hiding places for their revenues than al-Qaida has for Osama bin Laden. That's why Bain Capital LLC's offer to buy the entire league for $3.5 billion -- considerably more than it is worth as determined by its own Levitt Report -- was rejected out of hand.

:lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
the governors will go through the charade of preparing to play their games with minor-league plodders and fodder-league goons.

It's hard to believe that even the NHL, which has an astonishingly lengthy record of idiotic decisions, would take that route, but if you watch these guys long enough, you learn that logic and the NHL tend to be mutually exclusive.

Testify Al, you are the King!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad