Strachan The Moron Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackdogs*

Darth Star said:
I can't believe that Strach actually gets paid for his "wisdom".
Does this guy not have an editor? Such a sloppy mistake... He should stick to writing what he knows about, which apparently is nothing.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
octopi said:
Ironically, that quote was the question on final jeopardy, except I don't think the answer to who said it was FDR.
You remember correctly, President Theodore Roosevelt said it, not FDR. Thus not only is Strachan an idiot, his fact-checkers/editors are as well. Pretty sad.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Sotnos said:
You remember correctly, President Theodore Roosevelt said it, not FDR. Thus not only is Strachan an idiot, his fact-checkers/editors are as well. Pretty sad.

If he had fact checkers, he would never get a single article published.

mytor4*

so far i would say bettman has done a great job. he is the man to lead the nhl into the future. any other idiot would have caved into the players demands. the owners got it right when they gave gary power to crush the union . gary and the owners will note i said WILL win the war.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
mytor4 said:
so far i would say bettman has done a great job. he is the man to lead the nhl into the future.

I *hope* I'm just missing the sarcasm.

If not, please tell me what the crown jewel of his resume is?

- Starting his reign in the 'hot' 'emerging' NHL of the early 90's, and turning it into the laughingstock of the entire sporting world?

- Allowing clutch and grab to destroy the flow of the game?

- 'winning' in the last CBA battle, which got them into the financial mess they're in now?

- overexpanding into non-hockey markets that can't and won't sustain a team?

Personally, I think anyone other than Bettman... ANYONE... (maybe me, maybe you) ... could do a better job than Bettman has done for the NHL

mytor4*

If not, please tell me what the crown jewel of his resume is?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
he hasn't caved into the lousy players union. that in itself makes him the right man for the job

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
mytor4 said:
he hasn't caved into the lousy players union. that in itself makes him the right man for the job

If simple belligerence is a plan for the future, I've got a 12-yr-old that can manage the NHL twice as well as Bettman has.

God knows I agree that the system needs fixing -- the players absolutely have to make sacrifices, but if they are going to negotiate, they need for Bettman to play ball and get this done.

I'd love to see both Bettman and Goodenow jobless for life when this is all over and done with. They've both done a horrible job for both their constituencies, and have absolutely betrayed every last fan.

Last edited:

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
signaliinoise said:
If simple belligerence is a plan for the future, I've got a 12-yr-old that can manage the NHL twice as well as Bettman has.

God knows I agree that the system needs fixing -- the players absolutely have to make sacrifices, but if they are going to negotiate, they need for Bettman to play ball and get this done.

I'd love to see both Bettman and Goodenow jobless for life when this is all over and done with. They've both done a horrible job for both their consistencies, and have absolutely betrayed every last fan.

at least Bettman has remained professional in his conduct... and has not stooped to Saskin and Goodenow name calling... I think he is doing a great job... the league would be playing if they could afford the players last offer...

but they cannot afford it... until Goodenow and the players figure this out there will not be any hockey with the NHLPA... and they cannot figure that out blindly.. they have to take a look at the books of all 30 teams not sure 4 teams

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
dakota said:
at least Bettman has remained professional in his conduct...

I disagree. All parties involved have been unprofessional. The only jobs they have is to get a deal done, and they haven't done that. Professionals succeed.

I agree that Goodenow and Saskin have been unhelpful in the extreme in the way that they've managed to demonize Bettman and ownership. That makes it very hard to make a deal.

However, in terms of negotiating, you have to admit that the players have done 75% or better of the movement towards the middle. Bettman's negotiation has consisted of a) a line in the sand; b) removing linkage after it was too late to salvage a season; c) pulling back from the removal of linkage. That's it.

Everyone involved have done a horrible job. Everyone. The only way to negotiate this mess would be bottom-up negotiations (smallest issues to the biggest). The reason it's gone so awry is that they've tried only top-down negotiating. NOT because one side is right and the other wrong, but because they've not managed to build any trust or common ground.

That is failing as a negotiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad