Strachan: Cracks in the owners stance?

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint*

Sammy said:
Its worse. He doesnt attribute his musings to any source at all.
So in other words he's making it up, which proves Hasbro's little theory.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
to be honest, and I am pro-owner all the way

I am certain a few teams loved the idea of the 24% rollbacks with such a weak luxery tax

Toronto would def. be one of them, they would save 20 million on the players they had on their roster right now and then add 18 million to that payroll and pay 2 million in taxes

with that 20 million they would get back from the rollback they could get a whole new #1 line...or Kovy, Palfy, and trade for Pronger.....

some (like 3 or 4) probably loved it

but again, you need just 8 votes to kill any proposal

this CBA is going to have to make the lower 8 teams feel very secure about their standings in this league

and that is the reason the owners decided just 8 teams can nix any CBA....

8 teams that hated the offer by the NHLPA

Penguins
Canes
Nashville
Blue Jackets
Panthers
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Coyotes
Sharks
Bruins
Blackhawks
Flames
Oilers

thats 13 in 1 minute

I don't need to list anymore

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Newsguyone said:
Seriously dude.
Get serious.
The owners took the players offer. Changed it to divide the players. Then added a salary cap.

Seriously dude. Taking an offer and changing the bits you don't like and adding new bits is called "negotiating".

Compare and contrast to barely even reading the offer presented to you, then going home to sulk.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
eye said:
The simple fact that NHL players have not dominated the AHL or Europeon leagues should be proof enough that either NHL players are overated or AHL and Europeon leagues are vastly underated.

Ok, firstly, I cannot believe there hasnt been a response to this! Eye, I can honestly say that this is an amazing observation. Its totally true: Why havent the NHLers been dominating in Europe? Or the AHL? I thought they were the best of the best? Yet, there isnt any buzz whatsoever of so-and-so doing awesome in this league, or that league.

I honestly never looked at it that way, Eye, but in that light youre totally right: why wouldnt people go see replacement players @ the NHL level who are from the AHL and elsewhere? Its not like the NHLers on the planet are doing anything of largesse to make me, or any other hockey starved fan, to not cheer on a hardworking lifetime AHLer playing for the love of the game and some extra dough.

Great post, Eye. :handclap:

Go Flames Go*

LOL this guy gets national attention on CBC on Saturday nights. He is always wrong, and Gary Bettman should challenge him to a steel cage match at Wrestlemania 21. This midget balding idiot is biased and needs to be fired. The owners will win, and when the NHL prospers don't be surprised if this midget dissapears.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Go Flames Go said:
This midget balding idiot is biased and needs to be fired. The owners will win, and when the NHL prospers don't be surprised if this midget dissapears.

Might prove tricky. Al Strachan has a tenured contract with the Toronto Sun giving him editorial autonomy. Outside of libel or criminal circumstances, he can't be fired for what he writes.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Man, Al Strachan finds new lows with every column he writes, no sources, no quotes, nothing but products of his own feeble mind.

If that article was a post here at HF it would have been deleted and the poster would have received a warning for posting crap like that.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Pepper said:
Man, Al Strachan finds new lows with every column he writes, no sources, no quotes, nothing but products of his own feeble mind.

If that article was a post here at HF it would have been deleted and the poster would have received a warning for posting crap like that.

You think so?
:lol

Lanny MacDonald*

Bicycle Repairman said:
Might prove tricky. Al Strachan has a tenured contract with the Toronto Sun giving him editorial autonomy. Outside of libel or criminal circumstances, he can't be fired for what he writes.

Whoa, there's a falacy that needs to be debunked. ANYONE can be fired for what they write. You make a comment that is so over the top and pisses off enough people, you are toast. Especially when you've got editorial autonomy (which means you do your own editing and fact checking). Editorial autonomy is a double edged sword. Yes, you get last say as to what goes into your columns, but you also take the heat when it blows up in your face. This isn't a cozy little university where it takes a dozen years to earn a doctorate to become a professor. This is the news business where a thousand wannabees are knocking down the door for a job. Tenure means nothing in the real world and you're kidding yourself (along with Strachan for that matter) if you think "tenure" would save Uncle Al from the chopping block if he screwed up. Tenure provides no job security in todays world, especially the dog-eat-dog print media world. Where did you get that idea? The equally intellectually dull Bruce Dowbiggen?

:dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad