• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
HAHA!! THE OWNERS ARE CRACKING! And now all the pro-owner fans are saying all his stuff is opinions even though there are reports as he stated. But if it was an article about a single player going against the NHLPA all of you would be yelling and screaming how the NHLPA is divided and caving. I love it! All you pro-owner fans will be in for a suprise down the road when the Owners stand up to Bettman and his insane plain. This just made my day!

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
Jaded-Fan said:
ummm, welcome to our world in Pittsburgh, or any other small or mid-sized market . . . in baseball and hockey:

The Pens Roster last year:

http://letsgopens.com/pens_roster.php?sort=twoway&dir=desc

The Pirates roster last year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/stats/alltime/rosters/pirates/2004.html

.............. and remember that Kris Benson and Jason Kendell are gone this year. And Mario, our one name Pen played what, three games? While paying pretty hefty prices for the priveledge of seeing such talent, likely $400 for a family of four for either once you get done paying for tickets, parking, the odd hat or shirt and a meal. Now tell me how having so-called scab players would look any different, this year or any year to come, absent changes?

Go to the frickin' football game. You're spoiled by having three pro teams......

1 outta 3 ain't bad.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bennysflyers16 said:
HMMMMM, pay $400 to see Rechhi, Lemeiux, Malone and Fleury or pay $300 to see Reid Simpson, Lonny Bohonos, Rob Ray & Corey Hirsch. Let's be realistic.

Hockey has admittedly not sunk to the level baseball has, but I see the direction, and have seen the results, and therefore will be very very pro-woner's stance. I do not need hockey to get to where baseball is before I start lobbying for changes. Real changes.

Sammy*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
HAHA!! THE OWNERS ARE CRACKING! And now all the pro-owner fans are saying all his stuff is opinions even though there are reports as he stated. But if it was an article about a single player going against the NHLPA all of you would be yelling and screaming how the NHLPA is divided and caving. I love it! All you pro-owner fans will be in for a suprise down the road when the Owners stand up to Bettman and his insane plain. This just made my day!
When you get your head out of it, please tell me where in that article he provides any direct or indirect substantiation for the owners cracking.
Not at all like the players, who were quoted, personally & anonymously.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sammy said:
When you get your head out of it, please tell me where in that article he provides any direct or indirect substantiation for the owners cracking.
Not at all like the players, who were quoted, personally & anonymously.

Cracking as in...not standing by Bettman anymore. Re-read the article since you missed the main point.

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Cracking as in...not standing by Bettman anymore. Re-read the article since you missed the main point.

He might as well reread The Hobbit.

The article doesn't have legs.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
WrightOn said:
He might as well reread The Hobbit.

The article doesn't have legs.

But if TSN reported it it would im sure. But TSN would never report this considering how pro-owner the site has been from the start.

Lanny MacDonald*

FLYLine4LIFE said:

I'll type this slow, because I know you aren't very fast.

Does Uncle Al actually quote anyone to support his story? I mean other than quoting Larry Brooks who didn't quote anyone in his story either. Does Uncle Al actually say anything in his article that bears any substance? Is there anything to this article except Uncle Al venting his spleen? Seriously, Strachan got pantsed by Bettman as the last NHL press conference and Al has been aching to extract a pound of flesh. This is so transparent it isn't even funny. I mean, where are the comments from the owners? Where are the comments from the GMs? Where are any comments from anyone that supports this stance? The players are even saying that they think the owners are serious. Cracks forming? Only in Uncle Al's head.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I am the first to stand and say Strachan is the biggest BS'er in hockey, but to say that some of the big owners are not getting tired of the lockout, and therefore making $$, is crazy.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Well im done with this thread...im expecting lots of flaming toward me statments and its going to be WAY to hard to try to defend myself. :)

Ill just wait this one out...in a few days/weeks this story will be the biggest story in Canada when its gets some more ground and reports.

Then I will come back and say "I told you so". But if im wrong then Ill have 95% of the board telling me that.....

WrightOn

Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Well im done with this thread...im expecting lots of flaming toward me statments and its going to be WAY to hard to try to defend myself. :)

Ill just wait this one out...in a few days/weeks this story will be the biggest story in Canada when its gets some more ground and reports.

Then I will come back and say "I told you so". But if im wrong then Ill have 95% of the board telling me that.....

If 'I told you so' also means we have a frickin' CBA, then excellent.

Lanny MacDonald*

FLYLine4LIFE said:

I'm glad you're done, because you would get eaten alive if you stuck around. The carnage would have got the site an "R" rating for "zombie gore" while the posters fed on your carcass.

:lol

BTW... this story won't get many more legs than it already has. Larry "Foster" Brooks started the whole rant and then Bruce Dowbiggen picked it up yesterday and Uncle Al ran with it today. They quote the same and only source for this garbage, and that's Foster Brooks, that loveable drunk. Its pretty sad when you have nothing to support your story that you have tro quote another Op Ed writer in a paper just above the National Enquirer for credability. Dowbiggen and Strachan are done IMO. Very little credability prior to the lockout, and now with the position they have taken, none to take to their next employers once they get laughed out of the towns they presently write in. Good riddence to a couple of the worst "jpurnalists" around.

NYIsles1*

I do not see where even the most pro NHLPA fan could agree with an article where the writer claims the Devils made profit under the old system. That in of itself is just not being honest with the fans.

Strachan also goes beyond bad taste and labels Bettman a manipulator by nature. To me whatever side you support that is just out of line and not called for.

Between Brooks and Strachan they have put on a poor show for the fans. Can we please get a writer who has his/her opinion on the lockout but is objective enough to
let fans make up their minds based on what's really happening.

Lanny MacDonald*

Newsguyone said:
And you say it with such certainty, yet you have no sources

And that is one more than Uncle Al. Quoting another journalist to make your story doesn't give much credability to your story. You're better to quote no one than to quote another journalist who vents his spleen in a Op Ed piece with more holes than swiss cheese.

A Good Flying Bird*

The Iconoclast said:
And that is one more than Uncle Al. Quoting another journalist to make your story doesn't give much credability to your story. You're better to quote no one than to quote another journalist who vents his spleen in a Op Ed piece with more holes than swiss cheese.

Look. I hate strach.
He was editor of the same college paper where I was editor. Only 25 years beforehand.
And he went to my high school, too. Where my dad kicked his arse.

Bad blood between the families, back then.

Anyway, he's not a journalist. He's not a reporter, anyway. He's a columnist. He's a newspaper personality.
He gets paid to scratch his head and say stuff.
But he works in the industry. He has sources in the industry. I'm not saying there is anything to this story.
But I'm not stupid enough to say there is not, either.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
slats432 said:
I am a little more loathesome of Bettman and the owners since the didn't even try to negotiate after the last offer.

Eh? You've got that completely backwards. The players submitted an offer, the NHL studied it for *days*, then submitted a counter-proposal, with large portions based on the original.

The NHLPA blew that off in something under an hour, they didn't even consider the offer. And they haven't done anything since.

As for Strachan, if he actually did some research, he'd find out the reason the meeting was cancelled was because no negotiations were happening, and many owners had told Bettman they weren't going to fly out for a "Seinfield" meeting (about nothing) and had cancelled.

A Good Flying Bird*

PecaFan said:
Eh? You've got that completely backwards. The players submitted an offer, the NHL studied it for *days*, then submitted a counter-proposal, with large portions based on the original.

The NHLPA blew that off in something under an hour, they didn't even consider the offer. And they haven't done anything since.

As for Strachan, if he actually did some research, he'd find out the reason the meeting was cancelled was because no negotiations were happening, and many owners had told Bettman they weren't going to fly out for a "Seinfield" meeting (about nothing) and had cancelled.

Seriously dude.
Get serious.
The owners took the players offer. Changed it to divide the players. Then added a salary cap.

If that's your idea of "studying" and "counter-proposing*, well, make me an offer on something. I've got a counter-proposal for you if you wait a few days.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Al Strachan's legend continues to grow...in his own mind! This guy must be related to DR....or maybe he is?? All jokes aside, this guy will not even be allowed in a NHL building soon if he keeps making stuff up and then having a newspaper put it to print...Brian Burke has always been right about this guy, he is full of making up rumours and tries to come off like he knows what he is saying...it's absolutely sad that this guy can use a newspaper as his forum...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Bennysflyers16 said:
Who in their right mind would pay $50-$175 to watch scabs play ?????????????????
And if your arguement is the prices would be lower, as soon as fans start going, the prices would rise. Therefore, you are paying top $$ to watch 3rd tier talent. Let me know how that goes .

Who in their right mind would think tickets would cost $50 - $175 for replacement players? yuck yuck yuck

This is classic:
According to the reports
heh heh heh I've got to use this as a tag line. Basically you can make up any nonsense provided you preface the crap with "According to the reports".

Excellllllleeeennnt.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
quat said:
This is classic: heh heh heh I've got to use this as a tag line. Basically you can make up any nonsense provided you preface the crap with "According to the reports".

Excellllllleeeennnt.

LOL. "Reports" is more nebulous than "sources". At least with "sources" the "journalist" usually invents one himself, "reports" are just copying some other journalist's "source".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad