Strachan: Cracks in the owners stance?

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
But there's a problem. A lot of franchises have done very well under the old system. Their GMs may not be everybody's favourite people -- Lou Lamoriello of New Jersey, Pierre Lacroix of Colorado and Bob Clarke of Philadelphia would be three of them -- but the fact remains that if you ran your business well, you could not only survive, you could make significant profits.

the Devils are losing money hand over fist

Sammy*

Newsguyone said:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/01/11/894822.html

Interesting take.
I wonder if he's just stirring up the pot, or if he's got some sources.

Strachan bashing commences in

What a joke of an article. There is not one fact aside from the meeting been cancelled, nor is there any quotes from unnamed sources. Its all guess work (actually, I dont even no if its that, its more like subtle suggestions) with zero substance behind it.
In short, the article is a waste & the headline fraudulent (which is not idiots fault).

Last edited by a moderator:

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
This article is nothing more than Strachan's useless opinion. His hatred for Bettman is very obvious in his column and its nothing more than that. I can't believe anyone takes this guy seriously or he even has a job as a writer.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Of course there's no source for his thesis. He says as much at the end of the article: "It takes no great leap of logic, therefore, to believe that there must be some cracks in the league's resolve." It's nothing but more conjecture and axe-grinding from Strachan.

My favorite part ...

Al Strachan said:
So whenever Bettman needed to persuade a potential new owner that hockey was the place to be, he made a promise. He would guarantee cost certainty down the road -- a hard cap on salaries that would reward these owners for their investment, no matter how bad the on-ice product might be.
Al needs to bone up on some basic mathematics: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=123277

Lanny MacDonald*

The only crack showing is the one is Al Strachan's arse. Where's Brian Burke when you need him. I'd love to see Burke bury Uncle Al in another on air debate.

:handclap:

NYIsles1*

I'm not sure what was more dishonest. Strachan's claims the Leafs have any standing within the US markets or that the Devils, Avs or Wings are making money.

The Devils have never made revenue in that market. From Dr McMullen to the current ownership.

Sammy*

NYIsles1 said:
I'm not sure what was more dishonest. Strachan's claims the Leafs have any standing within the US markets or that the Devils, Avs or Wings are making money.

The Devils have never made revenue in that market. From Dr McMullen to the current ownership.

Not to be picky, but I believe you mean profit.

A Good Flying Bird*

slats432 said:
Strachan sucks.....

Do I win? What is the prize?

OK..now I can comment. Sounds like he has an impression is doing a lot of surmising. This isn't reporting, this is conjecture.

You win the grand prize!
Scab hockey for 3 months beginning next fall. You maybe the only one in attendance. So you can have any seat you want. You can even play.

I agree.
It does sound like conjecture.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
You win the grand prize!
Scab hockey for 3 months beginning next fall. You maybe the only one in attendance. So you can have any seat you want. You can even play.

I agree.

The fact you still read that idiots column speaks volumes. As for hockey with replacement players I am confident that it can succeed but it will hurt many if not all AHL teams in the process. I still go to Junior, College and AHL games and I don't sit there wondering if the best players available at that level are on the ice entertaining me.

The simple fact that NHL players have not dominated the AHL or Europeon leagues should be proof enough that either NHL players are overated or AHL and Europeon leagues are vastly underated.

Once the best available players which includes all players currently on 2 way contracts, high draft picks and other top AHL and Euros suit up in their NHL team jerseys fans will quickly forget current NHL players that refuse to cross the line. Having said that it won't take more than a day or two for one player to break ranks and many others to follow. Let's all hope it never gets to this point.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Newsguyone said:
You win the grand prize!

I agree.
The fact is, I don't remember supporting replacement players. I actually more support the absolute capitualtion by the players so they are begging on their hands and knees...

"Sir...could I please have more?" ;)

OK, I am kidding, but aren't you a little over the top with the replacement players? A lot of people support the owners. A lot of people support temporary replacements until the players come back to work.

And isn't a scab only a scab if there is a strike? This is a lockout. :D

(From Dictionary.com....
SCAB:

1. A worker who refuses membership in a labor union.
2. An employee who works while others are on strike; a strikebreaker.
3. A person hired to replace a striking worker.
as far as I know, none of these are correct.)

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
If this had been a HFer posting this noise, he would have been stomped on for a number of things.....the least of which is not backing any of it up with sources...

in short his article would not even have been a good pro-PA HF post

A Good Flying Bird*

slats432 said:
The fact is, I don't remember supporting replacement players. I actually more support the absolute capitualtion by the players so they are begging on their hands and knees...

"Sir...could I please have more?" ;)

OK, I am kidding, but aren't you a little over the top with the replacement players? A lot of people support the owners. A lot of people support temporary replacements until the players come back to work.

And isn't a scab only a scab if there is a strike? This is a lockout. :D

(From Dictionary.com....
SCAB:

1. A worker who refuses membership in a labor union.
2. An employee who works while others are on strike; a strikebreaker.
3. A person hired to replace a striking worker.
as far as I know, none of these are correct.)

I was just kidding around.
Anyway, about the scab definition, if we pretend the NHLPA is a real union, then the guys replacing them next season are definitely scabs.
Replacement workers at a lockout are generally viewed as more loathesome than they would be at a strike

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Who in their right mind would pay $50-$175 to watch scabs play ?????????????????
And if your arguement is the prices would be lower, as soon as fans start going, the prices would rise. Therefore, you are paying top $$ to watch 3rd tier talent. Let me know how that goes .

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
The League upon putting forth impasse and implementation, will leave players with a choice. They can accept the conditions and report, in which case the dispute is over for the time being. They can also strike. If replacement workers are used it will be because the players went on strike. Ergo, replacement workers would break a strike and not a lockout.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
chiavsfan said:
I'd rather pay to see guys who actually want to play the game of HOCKEY...not the current crappy clutch and grab, trap so we can 1-0 games everynight style

The coaches implement that style, that will not change.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Newsguyone said:
I was just kidding around.
Anyway, about the scab definition, if we pretend the NHLPA is a real union, then the guys replacing them next season are definitely scabs.
Replacement workers at a lockout are generally viewed as more loathesome than they would be at a strike
Me too....and I have come closer to centre during the situation. I am a little more loathesome of Bettman and the owners since the didn't even try to negotiate after the last offer.

(Although I am still a proponent of....systemic change.)

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Bennysflyers16 said:
Who in their right mind would pay $50-$175 to watch scabs play ?????????????????
And if your arguement is the prices would be lower, as soon as fans start going, the prices would rise. Therefore, you are paying top $$ to watch 3rd tier talent. Let me know how that goes .
No one would pay that much to see replacement players. You're right, prices would be lower for replacement players - much lower. Prices would only rise if arenas were being packed with paying fans. And if that happened, then owners would be justified in raising prices.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The Maltais Falcon said:
No one would pay that much to see replacement players. You're right, prices would be lower for replacement players - much lower. Prices would only rise if arenas were being packed with paying fans. And if that happened, then owners would be justified in raising prices.

This is true, I am a huge hockey fan. I live in winnipeg where we have a very good AHL team. But it just is not the NHL. I have been to 8 games last year ( World Cup, Nhl, and World JR ) which I paid big $$ to travel to, but I have been to 2 AHL games, I will only pay $$ to see the best. If i look for cheaper games, go to Junior games. Just my personal opinion.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bennysflyers16 said:

ummm, welcome to our world in Pittsburgh, or any other small or mid-sized market . . . in baseball and hockey:

The Pens Roster last year:

http://letsgopens.com/pens_roster.php?sort=twoway&dir=desc

The Pirates roster last year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/stats/alltime/rosters/pirates/2004.html

.............. and remember that Kris Benson and Jason Kendell are gone this year. And Mario, our one name Pen played what, three games? While paying pretty hefty prices for the priveledge of seeing such talent, likely $400 for a family of four for either once you get done paying for tickets, parking, the odd hat or shirt and a meal. Now tell me how having so-called scab players would look any different, this year or any year to come, absent changes?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
ummm, welcome to our world in Pittsburgh, or any other small or mid-sized market . . . in baseball and hockey:

The Pens Roster last year:

http://letsgopens.com/pens_roster.php?sort=twoway&dir=desc

The Pirates roster last year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/stats/alltime/rosters/pirates/2004.html

.............. and remember that Kris Benson and Jason Kendell are gone this year. And Mario, our one name played what, three games? While paying pretty hefty prcies for the priveledge of seeing such talent, likely $400 for a family of four for either once you get done paying for tickets, parking, the odd hat or shirt and a meal. Now tell me how having so-called scab players would look any different, this year or any year to come, absent changes?

HMMMMM, pay $400 to see Rechhi, Lemeiux, Malone and Fleury or pay $300 to see Reid Simpson, Lonny Bohonos, Rob Ray & Corey Hirsch. Let's be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->