Strachan Blames Nashville for Big Market Foes

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
as always Al gets directly to the root of the problem.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
So he must feel the same way about the NFL as well.

Wierd, last I checked their model seemed to be working well...

I hear what you are saying but I do not think you can compare the two. The NHL is a gate driven league and teams need play-off revenue to make money. The NFL teams do not have the same concerns as they actually have TV revenue to share. So I do not see that model working for the NHL.

puttinonthefOIL

Sep 5, 2005
Kelowna, BC
There's nothing stopping the Leafs from drafting better, making better trades, developing their young talent, signing smart contracts, improving their coaching etc... just like every other team. Get over it Strachan, the Leafs can't just "buy" the best available free-agents anymore. I don't know why he thinks the "old" way was so great anyway, it didn't do much for the Leafs.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
This is what I don't get. He points a finger at the predators then says

League officials insist that the precise numbers have to be kept secret. Presumably, this is a decision made out of embarrassment,

So how does Al know this information? :dunno:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
How the hell can Strachan be so god damn stupid?

Revenue sharing has NOTHING, absolultely NOTHING to do with Detroit's, Colorado's, Philly's etc. problems. As long as they can spend the max and make profit, revenue sharing has zero effect.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
His idea of "succesful teams" are the rich teams, and they were only succesful because they could continually buy a team. Now that they are on fair ground as far as personnel ability it's not the systems fault they are struggling (or no longer dominanting), its their management and players being fairly outplayed.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
A) This should be on the business board

B) As a team who some fans of other teams seem to be like giddy school girls about their belief in the eventual breaking up of, the Pens, let me say that I love this system. No longer is putting together a great team contigent on how much money you can overspend on players, but instead depends on your front office, in assembling and keeping a team together. I the school girl are right about my Pens for instance, it will be my front offices fault in choosing wrongly who to keep and who to cut ties with. My front office who did not continue o draft well. My front office who made dumb instead of smart FA signings to fill the holes beyond the Crosby's, Fleury's and Malkin's. Thank God the playing field is leveled. This is a great system for anyone who believes in rewarding competence in your front office. If your team can not keep up, put the blame where it belongs, not on one of the best systems in sports.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's a darn difference between NFL and NHL... While there are smaller markets in the NFL, those teams never had any gates problems I can think of (thrown aside the Cardinals, but that's the case of a permanenly bad team), and football is the main sport in those cities -- as is the case with every cities represented in the NFL for that matter. Nobody in the NFL will whine about Green Bay receiving money from revenue sharing -- hey, their stadium is completely packed.

Hockey is the main sport in only 6 cities... And was a main sport with 2 teams that left because of the former economics. While a case could be made with hockey being the 2nd sport in Buffalo, hockey holds the 3rd to 56th spot in "sports ranking".

avs_19*

Strachan is an idiot.....plus how the hell can he put the Avs and Wings in the same class as Philly?

They get blown out every game and are the worst in the NHL and with all these big salaries for crappy players, ie) Hatcher, Rathje, Nedved, etc.

Last time I checked the Avs/Wings dont have these big contracts for useless players and we are doing pretty good.

Stupid Strachan.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I hear what you are saying but I do not think you can compare the two. The NHL is a gate driven league and teams need play-off revenue to make money.

The same number of teams make the playoffs in the new NHL as the old NHL. Sixteen. The playoff revenue overall for the league is roughly the same. The only difference is that now more different teams get to share in that wealth, since big-market can no longer buy themselves a perennial playoff team.

The new level playing field bay hurt some of the teams that had been able to take advantage of the old system (at least, until they figure out how to ice a competitive team under the same budget as everyone else). However, it doesn't hurt the league as a whole.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
There's nothing stopping the Leafs from drafting better, making better trades, developing their young talent, signing smart contracts, improving their coaching etc... just like every other team. Get over it Strachan, the Leafs can't just "buy" the best available free-agents anymore. I don't know why he thinks the "old" way was so great anyway, it didn't do much for the Leafs.

What in the hey does the above rant against the Leafs have to do with the article, most Leaf fans cannot stand Strachan, Cox and Simmons, the Axis Of Evil in Toronto.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
The same number of teams make the playoffs in the new NHL as the old NHL. Sixteen. The playoff revenue overall for the league is roughly the same. The only difference is that now more different teams get to share in that wealth, since big-market can no longer buy themselves a perennial playoff team.

The new level playing field bay hurt some of the teams that had been able to take advantage of the old system (at least, until they figure out how to ice a competitive team under the same budget as everyone else). However, it doesn't hurt the league as a whole.

So what is wrong with on top of a salary cap also having a luxury tax?

ps. the playing field is not even, you are actually rewarded in the NHL for dis-interest in either building a good team (good draft picks) or marketing it in your community. (revenue sharing).

joolzie

Sep 24, 2003
Michigan
www.lolabug.com
Revenue sharing has NOTHING, absolultely NOTHING to do with Detroit's, Colorado's, Philly's etc. problems. As long as they can spend the max and make profit, revenue sharing has zero effect.
Well, it kind of has an effect in that some teams who were only spending (say) $30M before the lockout are now spending $40M. Not only can the teams that make lots of money no longer go and buy whoever they want (thereby making their team "worse"), but the teams who couldn't afford those players before now can (thereby making their teams "better").

Strachen has a point (whether it's a good or relevant one is debatable), but saying that incompetence is being rewarded is not correct.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well, it kind of has an effect in that some teams who were only spending (say) $30M before the lockout are now spending $40M. Not only can the teams that make lots of money no longer go and buy whoever they want (thereby making their team "worse"), but the teams who couldn't afford those players before now can (thereby making their teams "better").

Strachen has a point (whether it's a good or relevant one is debatable), but saying that incompetence is being rewarded is not correct.
But using Nashville as an example is wrong. Before the lock-out we were one of the lowest payroll teams, after the lock-out we're still one of the lowest payroll teams.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
I think Strachan is both right and wrong. The new CBA has hit some very well managed teams hard, bit it's not the big market teams that were the victims. To me it looks like the teams that suffered the most were Tampa, coming off their first Cup, and Ottawa, on the verge of getting one. The new CBA makes it easier for an average front office to achieve success, and makes it much harder to do it consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad