Stop Complaining, the Columbus Blue Jackets Are Still Good

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for posting....Have never not seen us as a good team. For those who think we're not, then refer to the standings which would say over 20 other teams are even worse. :yo:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The thing is what if the start was the abberation and the current is the norm? Kind of like the 15-1-1 finish followed by whoops. The reality is probably somewhat in the middle which is where I have this team in my mind - Nowhere near being one of the top 5 teams, let alone the best, but not a bottom feeder anymore.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Not certain about the rest of you, but I don't really enjoy an opinion piece, that supports their entire thesis using statistics alone.

It would be like assuring the public that the Oroville Dam is safe becasue of the extreme cost to build, combined with the massive maintenance budget, on top of the hours of overtime the last three years by the staff.

I'm not comparing the CBJ to an at risk dam, because they are not. What I'm saying is you can see the damaged spillway and know there is a problem.

Hockey stats are great - especially advanced stats. But they are not the end all of the analysis. Add support to your opinion by showing the growth in several players, like Josh Anderson, Markus Nuttivaara, Zach Werenski and Alex Wennberg. PDO and Corsi-for, by themselves, just don't do it for this reader.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not certain about the rest of you, but I don't really enjoy an opinion piece, that supports their entire thesis using statistics alone.

It would be like assuring the public that the Oroville Dam is safe becasue of the extreme cost to build, combined with the massive maintenance budget, on top of the hours of overtime the last three years by the staff.

I'm not comparing the CBJ to an at risk dam, because they are not. What I'm saying is you can see the damaged spillway and know there is a problem.

Hockey stats are great - especially advanced stats. But they are not the end all of the analysis. Add support to your opinion by showing the growth in several players, like Josh Anderson, Markus Nuttivaara, Zach Werenski and Alex Wennberg. PDO and Corsi-for, by themselves, just don't do it for this reader.
Fair enough, seeing as though we had similar issue with naysayers using similar the-stats-are-everything arguments earlier in the season (*cough*cough*lambert*cough*) :)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm sure the article is fine, but I have no real interest in reading it. The title of the thread is a bit asinine (although this really isn't the adjective I'm looking for, it gives the title too much credit). As far as the thesis of the thread title, we'll see if they are "good". The last 20 games we haven't been.

There is reason for optimism with the team moving forward. Whether or not that translates into anything tangible the rest of the season, I'm not sure.

I'm really not worried about the next couple of seasons. I'd like us to continue to develop and build some consistency. I'd like to see if we can get our goaltending situation more solid. It really doesn't matter to me what we do the rest of this season.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
Bottom line to me is .500 hockey doesn't work (as we have demonstrated over a pretty long sampling)

...since Torts is a kinder and gentler guy now, I wonder if he will / has considered one of the following:

1) Blowing a gasket to reset things

2) given the recent success at both Boston and Florida following a coaching change, would Torts reach out to someone and ask for a 2nd set of eyes...quietly and behind the scenes, of course.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think it's just a long season.

I looked at the schedule and saw that 4 game stretch of Pittsburgh, Toronto, Detroit, and New York, and thought "I bet they'll wake up for that", and I think they did. Not the best puck luck but to my eyes they played the same as in December.

Now back to the doldrums.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
I think it's just a long season.

I looked at the schedule and saw that 4 game stretch of Pittsburgh, Toronto, Detroit, and New York, and thought "I bet they'll wake up for that", and I think they did. Not the best puck luck but to my eyes they played the same as in December.

Now back to the doldrums.

It's a long season and hockey is a goofy game where intangibles can make a huge difference. Half the battle is playing well at the right time, which is almost impossible for a team to dictate when that'll happen themselves. It just happens.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
It's a long season and hockey is a goofy game where intangibles can make a huge difference. Half the battle is playing well at the right time, which is almost impossible for a team to dictate when that'll happen themselves. It just happens.

Baseball is very similar.

The Tribe put it all together last fall and were beating teams that were much better on paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad