Still no1? Despite serious surgery and no pre season Karlsson’s once again leading all D-men in ppg

Still no 1 D in the NHL?

• Total voters

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Prove it with numbers and/or breakdown of his gameplay. I'll wait.
Keep waiting pal.
You can have an analytics circle jerk until the cows come home.
I know it must kill you to hear that a Swede isn't all he is cracked up to be.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, he is the best defenseman at scoring. He is a bad defender. You need some of both to be considered the best.
While he has been a very poor defender this season there is no argument. He is a very good defender when he is healthy. If you think otherwise you are a homer, have an agenda or dont understand the sport.

Take away his skating and ofcourse he is bad defensively. Thats his biggest strength.

Reactions: cgf

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

First off, I'm an eye test guy not a MS Excel guy....I was giving you a chance to use any medium to prove your point, so you got nothing basically? Just as I thought. Thanks for letting everyone know you don't actually watch Erik Karlsson and/or actually comprehend what happens on the ice with him out there, or at all.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Great player, but he has never been the defenseman I would take #1. I don't have data, just seen him get schooled in his own zone too many times. He just doesn't make the same type of plays that Keith and Doughty do that don't show up on the stat sheet.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
First off, I'm an eye test guy not a MS Excel guy....I was giving you a chance to use any medium to prove your point, so you got nothing basically? Just as I thought. Thanks for letting everyone know you don't actually watch Erik Karlsson and/or actually comprehend what happens on the ice with him out there, or at all.
Okay pal, you win, I know nothing. Happy?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
gah dam the leafs fans on here hate karlsson

its cute

anyways the only dmen i might take ahead is hedman. funny how ppl say doughty

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Great player, but he has never been the defenseman I would take #1. I don't have data, just seen him get schooled in his own zone too many times. He just doesn't make the same type of plays that Keith and Doughty do that don't show up on the stat sheet.
I doubt you have watched him very much then. He makes extremely elite plays defensively when he is on, anticipating using his stick etc.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Sens fans need people's attention for Karlsson the same way a teenage girl with a cellphone and a mirror craves likes on Facebook.

Reactions: HarrisonFord

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This season, no. Overall, he’s either best or right behind Hedman going forward.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's not a bad defender. So many responses in this thread are just regurgitating memes.

That said, he hasn't been himself, especially earlier in the season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Keep waiting pal.
You can have an analytics circle jerk until the cows come home.
I know it must kill you to hear that a Swede isn't all he is cracked up to be.

-This particular poster knows enough about advanced stats to discuss them and gives them some credence, but it's far from an analytics circle jerk. I think the mentality that anyone who disagrees with you is just "looking at a spreadsheet" is entirely unhealthy.

-He's not Swedish

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
We'll have a better idea of his game, post surgery, next season. He was struggling at the start of this season, but he had excuses. Now he's getting better, but the games don't mean anything anymore, and the teams facing the Sens are hoping for an easy win. So we'll see next year how he performs. He will most likely bounce back, but we'll have to wait and see.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Karlsson has some of the best suppression stats in the entire league and that's while lodging insane minutes. For those that bring up his goals against, there are five other players on the same team on the ice most of the time. Besides Ekholm, Spurgeon, Slavin, etc. who are well known as "shutdown Dman" also have noticeably poor goals against metrics as well. What does that say about them?

No one is touting them for best in the league, and none of them are going PPG to offset minuses. If you score nearly a point per game and are showing up as a net negative, it's fair to wonder what's up.

We'll have a better idea of his game, post surgery, next season. He was struggling at the start of this season, but he had excuses. Now he's getting better, but the games don't mean anything anymore, and the teams facing the Sens are hoping for an easy win. So we'll see next year how he performs. He will most likely bounce back, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think he'll bounce back. He's too good, smart, and driven not to.

But he's got competition. The idea that the default state is "EK is best in the league AINEC" based on only a sample size of one playoff is utter garbage and people clutching to selective memories.

Reactions: RickP

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
If Crosby can maintain the epithet "the best player" for 10 years straight without actually being it for 50% of the time or so then yes, else no.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Karlsson has some of the best suppression stats in the entire league and that's while lodging insane minutes. For those that bring up his goals against, there are five other players on the same team on the ice most of the time. Besides Ekholm, Spurgeon, Slavin, etc. who are well known as "shutdown Dman" also have noticeably poor goals against metrics as well. What does that say about them?
Spurgeon is not just a "shutdown" defenseman. He's no Karlsson offensively, but does provide offense...he has 38 points already this year

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
My beer league teams have better defenseman than Erik Karlsson. They can't dream of dat offense though. Seriously, I've never seen a d-man get walked so routinely during every single game and yet receive 0 flak for it. Even the play by play guys have learned to ignore his defensive lapses because that's just what you have to give up for elite offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad