OT: Still Much Ado About Kovy - Still still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I think Bjugstad and 2nd Rd pick has to be in play. If all NJ got was draft picks (say 2nd and 3rd or 2nd plus 4th Fla would do that too -see Jagr deal to you guys). I really think Bjugstad needs fresh start and is better suited playing 2C where he will not in Florida long term. He's not good fit at 3C at all.

They could move Petrovic/Pysyk plus a pick but that would depend on IF Vegas did not take one of them in the expansion. I could see losing ONE of those RHD ...not both however. Remember how vital RHD are, look no further than your guys deal with EDM last offseason. I personally don't want to lose Petrovic (physical force FLA desperately needs while Pysyk is adv stats darling in front office in Fla).

Prospect wise I'd prefer not to go that route. To me : Hawrylyk, Malgin, Mascherin, Borgstrom (untouchable almost) and even McCoshen should not be moved in Kovy deal. If NJ is stuck on one of those names over Bjugstad/draft pick...Id likely move on from the offer. Florida can offer one of best deals player or pick wise.

Oh I almost forgot... Demers and 2nd Rd pick all day to you guys. I hate that bum lol.

I want a prospect playing in NHL or AHL over a 2nd round pick. Hawrylyk or Malgin would be ideal for NJ and both fill a need to strengthen the teams right wing depth.

So if you are unwilling to give up one of those, then move on. I think NJ can get a better offer elsewhere for Kovalchuk.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Huberdeau- Barkov - Kovy

IF Kovy can play RW well, and cycle board game-snipe jobs ... best line in hockey next year potentially
If we send you guys Kovy, it will be for one of Huberdeau or Barkov.:naughty:

Then I remembered Tom Rowe isn't the GM anymore.:laugh:
Kovalchuk owns homes in two locations in the USA: New Jersey and Florida. That's where it came from.

I remember this being one of the biggest annoyances and issues I had with his ''I wanted to go home'' spiel. Between him hanging out at the Nets games one Spring and then Summering in South Florida. If I recall correctly, that's where he was on the date he announced his NHL ''Retirement''.

Dude is so homesick, yet down in Florida in the middle of July and in Brooklyn in May?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I remember this being one of the biggest annoyances and issues I had with his ''I wanted to go home'' spiel. Between him hanging out at the Nets games one Spring and then Summering in South Florida. If I recall correctly, that's where he was on the date he announced his NHL ''Retirement''.

Dude is so homesick, yet down in Florida in the middle of July and in Brooklyn in May?

Kovalchuk would be "homesick" for Istanbul, Turkey if there was a hockey league there that would pay him enough.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Callahan isn't a complete cap dump though. He's still a serviceable player who is worth 3-4 million for his AAV if he puts up 30-40 points. Plus, I would love him on the Devils for the way he plays and his leadership, we and a lot of other teams could definitely use that.

He's also on the tail end of his deal so he's making 6.5 million this year, but 4.7 the two years after that with a 5.8 cap hit. Because of that, it would make a lot more sense for the Lightning to wait a year, let him hopefully rebound, and then trade him if they need the cap room. They don't have to trade him this year either.

He's serviceable if he's actually healthy. That's part of the issue with trading for him now. If he's got a degenerative hip condition, everything is out the window. He's had 2 major hip surgeries within a year.

I was speaking specifically to the idea you pitched for the present. To take Callahan between now and the draft, it would absolutely be a dump. Obviously, he could come back and be decent enough to warrant treating him as if there's value, but to take him now would cost the Lightning more than it would down the road if he is able to continue to play at a decent enough clip.

I don't dislike the guy nor do I dislike the idea of him on this team, if healthy. That's a very good deal for the Lightning if its just a pick swap and he is unable to perform. It's unlikely there's enough time between now and the draft to say he's going to be able to perform. Tampa needs to take an equal risk. Dropping 24 places isn't enough of one in conference right now.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Which is why I don't want him anywhere near the Devils. Sign and trade or let him rot for a year.

This really isn't an issue for you then. He's not going to play here. Shero made that about as clear as can be when he gave his agent permission to speak to other teams. If there were any intention on him coming back to NJ that wouldn't have happened.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
These are the main players I'd like in a package for kovy

NYR: Buchnevich
NYI: Strome/Dal Colle/Pulock
MTL: Sergachev
TB: Drouin/Johnson
Fla: Matheson
EDM: eberle/rnh
NSH: fiala
ANA: vatanen/Manson

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

You wont get any of those players except Eberle. Rest are pipe dreams

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah that'd be some crazy returns, although I said before I think Fiala could be an option because he suffered that injury so Nashville gets more of a sure thing with Kovalchuk and the Devils get someone with decent potential if he can recover from the injury

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
I wasn't saying that kovy should be traded 1 for 1. We can add draft picks take on cap. They are just the centre piece of the trade

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Other than the Ebs choice I like your picks.
I don't care that your aiming high!
I am hoping Shero is this bold and will add to get a deal like above done.
  • I'd pkg Kovy ++ for Matheson and Trocheck you guys argue the pluses
  • Would add to the Isles option for those three
  • Would have to add pc(s) for Drouin
  • Salary retained on Vats would probably be enough
  • Won't trade with the Rags, neither will Shero. Don't think they will trade Buch.
  • The other wacky one I keep seeing is Galchenyuk straight up. I don't see that without an add from Jersey as well

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Other than the Ebs choice I like your picks.
I don't care that your aiming high!
I am hoping Shero is this bold and will add to get a deal like above done.
  • I'd pkg Kovy ++ for Matheson and Trocheck you guys argue the pluses
  • Would add to the Isles option for those three
  • Would have to add pc(s) for Drouin
  • Salary retained on Vats would probably be enough
  • Won't trade with the Rags, neither will Shero. Don't think they will trade Buch.
  • The other wacky one I keep seeing is Galchenyuk straight up. I don't see that without an add from Jersey as well

We will have to add to get Vats. Guy is a top pairing Dman. Plays PP and PK. Would love him on this team but Kovy and some salary retention won't get it done

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

What Devils would realistically get:

NYR/NYI: Pointless to discuss
MTL: Beaulieu/Plekanec +, maybe Scherbak/McCarron if they've soured on them.
TB: Potentially Killorn, maybe Namestnikov, they'd probably try to dump Garrison on us for cap reasons
FLA: Potentially Bjugstad, maybe one of Pysyk/Petrovic if Vegas doesn't take them, maybe a young guy like Halwyruk/Malgin if we're lucky
EDM: Potentially Eberle, they'd want to get rid of Pouilot, maybe Fayne+ for cap reasons.
NSH: Craig Smith or Colin Wilson, I'd love to get one of those two and Bitteto.
ANA: Stoner +, maybe a young defender with Stoner if we're lucky. I highly doubt they trade Vatanen for a 34 yo Kovalchuk.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
What Devils would realistically get:
NYR/NYI: Pointless to discuss

The Islanders are not that far fetched. It would take overpayment and likely involve one of their top prospects for us to consider it, + if Kovy is a stickler on landing spot, it may be one of few options if he'd even consider it. I wouldnt say likely or anything, but not completely out of the question like the Rags would be.

TB: Potentially Killorn, maybe Namestnikov, they'd probably try to dump Garrison on us for cap reasons

Doubt it'd be Garrison. He's only got a year left and still plays at a decent enough level in a 3 or 4 spot almost always when he's out there. They'd offload him at the deadline if they're out of it. Coburn would more likely be the dump if they even needed to add one. Either guy would have to waive an NTC to come here too.

In all seriousness, I expect Kovy end up on a team no one is even considering right now.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Islanders are not that far fetched. It would take overpayment and likely involve one of their top prospects for us to consider it, + if Kovy is a stickler on landing spot, it may be one of few options if he'd even consider it. I wouldnt say likely or anything, but not completely out of the question like the Rags would be.

Doubt it'd be Garrison. He's only got a year left and still plays at a decent enough level in a 3 or 4 spot almost always when he's out there. They'd offload him at the deadline if they're out of it. Coburn would more likely be the dump if they even needed to add one. Either guy would have to waive an NTC to come here too.

In all seriousness, I expect Kovy end up on a team no one is even considering right now.

You have it backwards. Coburn is still a good 3/4, Garrison is awful.

Islanders could happen, but I doubt Shero does that. Way too risky for him unless we get something very intriguing in return, Strome?

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
You have it backwards. Coburn is still a good 3/4, Garrison is awful.

Islanders could happen, but I doubt Shero does that. Way too risky for him unless we get something very intriguing in return, Strome?

Except I don't have it backwards. Coburn was playing bottom 3 minutes this season. He averaged 16 minutes per game. Garrison closer to 20. Neither of them are "awful", they've just both regressed and will continue to regress. Garrison's contract is also easier to offload since he has a year left, Coburn has 2. Garrison and Coburn both also had better analytic stats than Andy Greene.

And you agree with me on the Islanders. I don't think they're a favorite for him or anything, but consideration is there. They're not out of the question if push came to shove. They'd have to pay more than anyone else to get Kovy. Ho Sang, Barzal, or Pulock or GTFO. Not giving Tavares that winger he's always needed in division and potentially ruining our own playoff chances in July without them paying a serious price.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
He's not going to play here.

i wouldnt say that's a lock. it's very possible that ray is letting him speak to other teams to see who is interested, but kovy also has NJ on that list in case he doesn't like what's out there. maybe just wishful thinking since i'd prefer we keep him, though. but i learned a while ago to not speak in finite/guaranteed terms when it comes to kovy, he's an absolute wild card.

it doesn't exactly fill a need, but i would deal kovy to chicago as part of/for a package including debrincat. chicago might do it, they're always in win-now mode. not sure if he can play RW, but if so, i would absolutely pull the trigger.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
it doesn't exactly fill a need, but i would deal kovy to chicago as part of/for a package including debrincat. chicago might do it, they're always in win-now mode. not sure if he can play RW, but if so, i would absolutely pull the trigger.

If we're trading with Chicago in respect to Kovy, its nearly impossible due to their salary cap. I'd also rather try and grab Pokka instead. Its tough for them to dump anyone on us. Kruger is likely going to be taken in the ED who basically 0s out their cap situation (they still need to move more salary) and most anyone else of merit salary wise would not be a true dump. I'd reckon any value would be in the salary we take back because it wouldnt be a bad player. Maybe Hjalmarsson? Tough dealing w/ Chicago. They're not in a position to take on 5-6M. They would make more sense if it was at the deadline.

I also dunno if Chicago would be interested in a reunited Hossa/Kovy.

I'd argue that Chicago makes one of the worse trading partners. Unless they move multiples of their bigger contracts, they just can't pull off a Kovy trade.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The best way to maximize return for Kovy, is to let the jerk play for the Devils for 5 months, then ransom him off at the trade deadline to a serious cup contender. [/The end]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad