STILL HOPE? NHL and NHLPA MEET MONDAY - Talks Run for 7 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Call me a pessimist (atleast on this topic), but until I hear anything optimistic from the mouth of Bob McKenzie, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

It seems like a roller coaster, up... down... up... down.

It's really gotten to a point where I'd much rather they cancel the season, so I don't care. I've lost a lot of passion for the NHL.

NewBreed19

I think that a deal is going down; finally! There will be alot of damage to the league, but we will see a new cba and very short season with playoffs. I want this ,because it means the draft is on and we will start on time next season. It's better to have **** short season then have nothing at all till '06. :handclap:

X0ssbar

Freezerburn said:
I would say that they speculated that Bettman had been working the phones, they did not really have solid back ups, but it was logical.

I enjoyed Kypreos' newfound stance, he's backed down a bit.

Whoa - first Healy and now Kypreos, something's gotta be going down for these two guys to ease off the PA pedal.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Freezerburn said:
I would say that they speculated that Bettman had been working the phones, they did not really have solid back ups, but it was logical.

I enjoyed Kypreos' newfound stance, he's backed down a bit.

Whoa that was a whole new Kypper. Humble, softened...almost likeable.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Carl O'Steen said:
Call me a pessimist (atleast on this topic), but until I hear anything optimistic from the mouth of Bob McKenzie, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

It seems like a roller coaster, up... down... up... down.

It's really gotten to a point where I'd much rather they cancel the season, so I don't care. I've lost a lot of passion for the NHL.

Why do you hold such high regard for McKenzie? :joker:

X-SHARKIE

NewBreed19 said:
I think that a deal is going down; finally! There will be alot of damage to the league, but we will see a new cba and very short season with playoffs. I want this ,because it means the draft is on and we will start on time next season. It's better to have **** short season then have nothing at all till '06. :handclap:

Agree, I think this is crucial for the NHL To move forward next year to get this lock out over with ASAP this year! get a deal done now!

Second! I heard a rumor that Fan 590 reported that there was progress made.... Is this true? Thanks.

leafaholix*

Scugs said:
Why do you hold such high regard for McKenzie? :joker:
Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with his occasional lurking of this website.

I think many people on here would agree that he's probably the most credible and objective hockey analyst there is. He also seems a lot more wiser than some of these other guys (Strachan, Brooks, Kypreos, Healy, etc...)... I would've used the word knowledgeable, but I'm tired as hell and know I would butcher the spelling.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
when is the next sportscentre on tsn? ESPNEWS just made it sound like the meeting was over and no progress was made but barry melrose said he is optomistic. What the hell is going on in buffalo?

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Canadian Chris said:
nor is Reilly on mine...although some of his comments sure do piss me off....but hey...everyone is entitled to their opinion...

I still don't understand why the previous CBA could not have simply been re-signed and play while negotiating a new one to take place next year...anyone have any reasoning as to why they may not have done this!?! Would it NOT have kept us happy!?!? And isn't it honestly about US!?!

Why not have them resign the CBA back in summer? Because they want a new deal. It isn't about the fans or anything else they want a new deal now and not later. I would be really pissed if we missed almost the whole season for the same deal...that would make no sense at all.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Carl O'Steen said:
Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with his occasional lurking of this website.

I think many people on here would agree that he's probably the most credible and objective hockey analyst there is. He also seems a lot more wiser than some of these other guys (Strachan, Brooks, Kypreos, Healy, etc...)... I would've used the word knowledgeable, but I'm tired as hell and know I would butcher the spelling.

I do agree with you, and I really have nothing against McKenzie... other than his face is too bouncy when he talks on TV. But he does give good insight and doesn't show he is biased to either side.

Although you know he is pro-owner, just like everyone else that isn't being payed by the PA to be their henchmen.. (Kypreos, Healy)

And I do find it somewhat odd that in the same day, both Healy and Kypreos are optimistic. Healy going as far as to say that he believes this is done before Wednesdays 1pm announcement.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
Agree, I think this is crucial for the NHL To move forward next year to get this lock out over with ASAP this year! get a deal done now!

Second! I heard a rumor that Fan 590 reported that there was progress made.... Is this true? Thanks.

See this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=129431

The report is easily disputed. The only place I have seen it other than here is on a certain bloggers site.

Sammy*

Canadian Chris said:
I still don't understand why the previous CBA could not have simply been re-signed and play while negotiating a new one to take place next year...
Because the owners would have had zero leverage with the NHLPA & would have continued to bleed tons of $$$.
I frankly would like to see the whole year kiboshed right now, as imo the owners have way less leverage right now than they would in the summer, given that the players will only have about 20 games of hockey to get paid while the owners have the "gravy" of the playoffs (in short, the NHLPA's negotiating position is as strong right now as it ever will be). You know what happened last time that was the case.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Leafer4Life said:
Sportsnet said that the meeting ended with no progress made.......... :shakehead :cry:
The article says that although nothing has been solved, the meeting is still going.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess you could be referring to what they said on-air. The Internet article may not be updated yet. My bad.

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
Cloned said:
The article says that although nothing has been solved, the meeting is still going.

That sounds much better. Sabre Phan do you live in Buffalo? Go find out where they are meeting and lock them in there until they either have a deal or Bettman announces the season is over!

Seriously though I am gonna be really pissed if the meetings stop for longer than a power nap between now and wed. at 1pm.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Leafer4Life said:
Sportsnet said that the meeting ended with no progress made.......... :shakehead :cry:
BS

Progress was made... 3-10:30 and no progress hours before the season is cancelled? Doubt it. I bet you they are breaking for the evening. Tomorrow will be your wee morning deal brokering.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Cloned said:

EDIT: Sorry, I guess you could be referring to what they said on-air. The Internet article may not be updated yet. My bad.

tsn.ca article:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114925

NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly and NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin met Monday for several hours at an undisclosed location in a last-ditch attempt to save the season. The NHL released a statement saying no progress was made in the collective bargaining process, but offered no further comment. As in some previous meetings, Bettman and union chief Bob Goodenow were not in the room.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Leafer4Life said:
tsn.ca article:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114925

NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly and NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin met Monday for several hours at an undisclosed location in a last-ditch attempt to save the season. The NHL released a statement saying no progress was made in the collective bargaining process, but offered no further comment. As in some previous meetings, Bettman and union chief Bob Goodenow were not in the room.
My bad.

No further comment? Not that we should expect anything new from these guys now, but a change of pace would be very welcome right about now.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
futurcorerock said:
BS

Progress was made... 3-10:30 and no progress hours before the season is cancelled? Doubt it. I bet you they are breaking for the evening. Tomorrow will be your wee morning deal brokering.

I agree. This deal will get done. Neither side is going to leak anything to the media at this point. Something will happen. Dare I say tomorrow is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad