Confirmed with Link: Sticky thread check!

Kill which stickies?

• Season ticket holders

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Fan-to-fan ticket sales

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Draft and UDFA thread

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Minor league thread

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Prospects

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Don't kill stickies, just kill all the OT posts which is really ruining our board....on the first 2 pages alone:

-Fantasy
-Football
-Baseball
-Football again
-Fantasy waiting list
-Fantasy for the 3rd time
- Going to NY thread
- NBA
- Papa Johns
- Gender Reveal thread
- Womens hockey in the area
- SNL Spoof (yes that was me ;) )
- Server Pilgrimage
- Fantasy hockey for the 4th time!
- Giving away hockey stuff

That is just on the FIRST 2 PAGES..15 OT threads. That needs to be eliminated. Make one or two massive OT thread like other boards.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For what it's worth, the baseball and football threads, during their seasons, during free agency and around the draft are some of the most highly-trafficked threads on the board. I'm not saying that justifies keeping them necessarily, but they are very popular. My argument to the other mods ("back in the day") about keeping them separate from the general OT thread was that the I knew, personally and with certainty, that a lot of the people that posted in the baseball/football threads wouldn't go anywhere near the general OT thread. So if they were merged, you'd basically be killing the sports threads.

The "server pilgrimage" thread is, I believe, the general OT thread.

I could do without all the fantasy stuff, but that's just me. I like the baseball and football threads, and who am I to say my OT stuff is more worthy than someone else's OT stuff?

To the actual question at hand--I voted to kill the fan-to-fan ticket sales thread and the draft/UDFA thread. The ticket sales, I just feel like it's not a significant enough part of the board to justify being stuck up at the top. If people really want to get rid of some tickets they can get creative in keeping that thread bumped. The draft/UDFA thread is highly interesting, but so much of the discussion deals with players that will never become our property. I feel that anything stickied ought to be directly relevant to Rangers players or the team itself. I make an exception for the Around the NHL thread as that has ALWAYS been part of the board. The NYC Thread is borne out of necessity, as otherwise you get three new threads each day from people asking questions about the city.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Highlighted... Why do you have to be so salty? The admins and moderators have literally zero control over what Crave/Evolve Media decides to do with the site in terms of advertising. You do understand there's a business entity that owns this site, right? And that *****ing at random admins will not magically make less ads appear? The moderators and admins are volunteers, many of whom commit dozens of hours each week to making sure this place runs as smoothly as possible. They themselves have a lot of things they'd like to see changed around here, but again, they don't own the ****ing site. I don't understand the hostility towards a bunch of volunteers.
Yes...I'm aware of that...the you was more general not personal...quit being so sensitive.

I'm well aware of how businesses are run being someone who buys and sells advertising for a living thank you very much. There are better way to monetize your sites than the way this one is done. They are squeezing everything out of their per visitor model...makes for good profit but horrible ux

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes...I'm aware of that...the you was more general not personal...quit being so sensitive.

I'm well aware of how businesses are run being someone who buys and sells advertising for a living thank you very much. There are better way to monetize your sites than the way this one is done. They are squeezing everything out of their per visitor model...makes for good profit but horrible ux
I'm sensitive because I dealt with people directing inane comments towards me as an admin and mod for years, so yours stirred up some emotions.

Maybe take your business expertise and direct it towards the owners of the site? Someone who can actually make a change? Rather than towards an admin who probably has no more connection to the business than you, in a thread the owners will never read.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm sensitive because I dealt with people directing inane comments towards me as an admin and mod for years, so yours stirred up some emotions.

Maybe take your business expertise and direct it towards the owners of the site? Someone who can actually make a change? Rather than towards an admin who probably has no more connection to the business than you, in a thread the owners will never read.
Whatever dude.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'd merge the Tickets and Prospect threads, but I'm biased as I don't go to games frequently nor follow up on prospects as much as I should.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Don't kill stickies, just kill all the OT posts which is really ruining our board....on the first 2 pages alone:

-Fantasy
-Football
-Baseball
-Football again
-Fantasy waiting list
-Fantasy for the 3rd time
- Going to NY thread
- NBA
- Papa Johns
- Gender Reveal thread
- Womens hockey in the area
- SNL Spoof (yes that was me ;) )
- Server Pilgrimage
- Fantasy hockey for the 4th time!
- Giving away hockey stuff

That is just on the FIRST 2 PAGES..15 OT threads. That needs to be eliminated. Make one or two massive OT thread like other boards.
This is more coincidence than anything, as one was just closed and a new one made. In general we don't have many OT threads like the Papa Johns or gear giveaways, and they usually find their way to the next page very quickly.

A quick look at other boards will show that HFNYR is actually very organized, and with more concise thread topics. We don't do many "random thought" threads, i.e. if someone has an idea or comment about AV, it goes straight into the AV thread. :)

Thread tags also make it incredibly fast and easy to find a thread you are looking for. For example, if for some reason I want to read comments on the Zibanejad trade, it's not necessary to even search, just click the appropriate tag and I can scroll down to it in a few seconds.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
1 prospects thread merged- wasn't it like that in the past? Unsticky the STH thread. Any news or whatever can be bumped. If the fan to fan ticket sales thread is unstickied I feel like it will slowly not be used anymore because less folks will be actively updating it and buying and eventually people will stop adding their tickets to the thread.

As a side note, I love the OT sports threads. I personally wouldn't post in it if it were merged in the general OT thread and neither would I use it if it were merged into one OT sports thread. Too annoying to sift through to find something I'm interested in to discuss or comment on.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
1 prospects thread merged- wasn't it like that in the past? Unsticky the STH thread. Any news or whatever can be bumped. If the fan to fan ticket sales thread is unstickied I feel like it will slowly not be used anymore because less folks will be actively updating it and buying and eventually people will stop adding their tickets to the thread.

As a side note, I love the OT sports threads. I personally wouldn't post in it if it were merged in the general OT thread and neither would I use it if it were merged into one OT sports thread. Too annoying to sift through to find something I'm interested in to discuss or comment on.

First bold part--for many, many years it has been split. It was the Hartford Wolf Pack Thread and then a general Prospects Thread. The prospects thread used to be updated by a user that no longer posts here, and then I took over on it probably around 2010 or so. The HWP thread, we then made it a HWP/Charlotte Checkers thread. A guy named bmoak that may or may not still post here used to watch the Checkers and give us updates. They've been separate forever. Before 2002 there weren't even threads that could be stuck. For anyone curious what the boards used to look like, I attached a screenshot from circa 2000 to this post. You can see @SingnBluesOnBroadway , @DARTH SATHER, good old dedalus who left long ago, and me--under a different handle that I have never acknowledged. :laugh:

As to the second bold part--that's exactly why when I was an admin/mod I argued to keep those threads separate. You throw them into the general OT thread and they're basically dead.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    134 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: All Might
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad