stick taping

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
When the tape at the bottom of your blade wears out but the rest still looks all ok, does anyone just tack another bit of tape there, or do you all redo the whole taping? I can imagine it might not be the best for handling but was wondering.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
Use wax on your tape, it will make it last about five times longer. But other than that, I've seen people run sock tape along the bottom of their blade, then put the cloth tape on. I've also seen people waste half a roll on their blade, putting about three or four layers onto the blade. I can't imagine why anybody would prefer a stick blade with that much tape on it, but point is, I've seen it all. I just go once, heel to toe, nothing on the bottom of the blade, and cut off the excess tape on the toe where it is curved with a knife or scissors, then wax it up. Depending on how much wax I used and how I played in the game, I tend to get one to three games out of my tape.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
Phoenix said:
When the tape at the bottom of your blade wears out but the rest still looks all ok, does anyone just tack another bit of tape there, or do you all redo the whole taping? I can imagine it might not be the best for handling but was wondering.

rip it off and re tape. wax does extend it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone ever get a bad batch of tape?

I bought new Renfrew, taped my blade, waxed it, and after one pickup session it looks like my dog used the blade as a chew toy.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
Jacobv2 said:
Anyone ever get a bad batch of tape?

I bought new Renfrew, taped my blade, waxed it, and after one pickup session it looks like my dog used the blade as a chew toy.

My Renfrew is perfectly fine, i don't use wax and it's been good for a long time.
I use white tape and don't take slap shots alot so might be a difference.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Renfrew's been good for me. The Gold or the special composite stick tape they got is even better. Renfrew's held up well, with the nicer tape holding up a little while longer. I lay a strip on the bottom before taping. I wax also...I can get like 6 games outta my stick before retaping.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
After becoming a hockey player, it didn't take long for me to decide that an extra strip along the bottom edge of the blade is a fine idea. I mean, let's face it, the bottom of the blade drags miles along the ice every week.

Never used wax before - I'll give it a try.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I've always been a full blade taper, but I've noticed more and more NHL'ers are rocking the 3/4 blade tape job, leaving a lot of naked heels.

Jason4

Mar 31, 2005
Doctor Hook said:
I've always been a full blade taper, but I've noticed more and more NHL'ers are rocking the 3/4 blade tape job, leaving a lot of naked heels.

Im a full taper also.I guess the pros dont worry about leaving the heels exposed,there not paying for the sticks.(must be nice).

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
Yeah, leaving the heel bare is the new cool thing to do I guess. I remember in Eric Lindros' prime all the kids were skating around with a small patch of tape in the middle of their blade. I guess these things come and go.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
I'd say it's totally personal, some people re-do it every game regardless of what kind of condition the tape is in, some wait until it's full of holes to do anything about it. Personally, as soon as it starts to get a bit ripped up, i'll tear it all off and re-do it. Sometimes it takes a game for it to get like that, sometimes 5 or 6 or more...

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
I use wax as well, single layer heel to toe. Have seen some wierd traits with the wax though. Good friend of mine use to put the wax on the tape, then hold it over an oven. The Blade was very thick, and after a months use of playing with it, it still looked as if he just wrapped it.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I do that...rub wax all over it and heat it over the stove to ensure it sticks and is evenly covered. Gets the cloth tape to soak it in a little too so it doesn't just rub off.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Does anyone else use Franklin Shot Tech on their blades? I love it. I think it is more for roller hockey but it works fine for me.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Liquid Hockey Tape

Hey guys,

I know that taping kind of sucks some time, especially when you don't have tape in your bag. Back in 1993, I was stepping on the ice to coach my college team and my tape fell off like a bad hair piece.

I had a friend that worked at a local paint company and said that they made a product that was made out of rubber and if he did not clean the rubber off the stick, it would dry hard as a rock and then he would have to chip it off.

So he got me a can and I tried it on every stick on my college team. The guys loved it, so I got the company to give me a private label.

So I named it Liquid Hockey Tape. Because it's a rubberized product, it repells water. It doesn't allow the ice to sock into the tape and change the feel or the weight of the stick.

Once it's on...it's on. If you want to take it off, you have to chip it off. It comes in a 10oz can and you can spray about 25 to 30 stick with one can.

Head coach.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
It's funny how I have changed how I tape the blade of my stick over the years, when Kovalev played for the Rangers he taped his blade solid from the heal to the toe even the toe was covered in tape litteraly like a sock, I used to do that, then I went to a normal tape job which I use now, but instead of wax i rub the puck all over the blade I think it basically does the same job, just go with the grain of the tape so that you dont peel the edges up cause then it looks bad :P

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
ToeDragFan said:
but instead of wax i rub the puck all over the blade I think it basically does the same job.

Well, the wax adds a coating to the tape the keep the water from soaking into the tape.

You see, tape has a certain type of gum (Glue) that helps the tape stick to the Stick. Water is the worlds best cleaner. The water, if it gets into the tape, will emulsify (break down) the gum in the tape and the tape falls off.

But if you use the wax, it helps repell the water a little bit and make the tape last longer.

Plus, it also helps the water from soaking into the stick to keep the weight of the stick the same. As you play the game, in the third period, the ice collects at base and starts to sock in. This extra water on the blade changes the weight of the stick, which will make you compensate or adjust the way you shoot the puck in the third period.

However, with Liquid Hockey Tape you don't have to worry about that. The water doesn't soak into your blade and your shot is the same from start to finish of the game. :yo:

Head coach

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I put a strip of sock tape at the bottom, then a strip of stick tape.

I tend to tape the whole blade, but what I do is I do the whole blade and then the front of the blade in an X pattern. Then I have more tape at the toe of the blade versus the heel.

I used to only tape the toe, but it caused premature wearing so I do it like this now.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
ToeDragFan said:
It's funny how I have changed how I tape the blade of my stick over the years, when Kovalev played for the Rangers he taped his blade solid from the heal to the toe even the toe was covered in tape litteraly like a sock, I used to do that, then I went to a normal tape job which I use now, but instead of wax i rub the puck all over the blade I think it basically does the same job, just go with the grain of the tape so that you dont peel the edges up cause then it looks bad :P

I do the same thing, but I use a roll of black friction tape. I started doing that when I started using cloth tape on my sticks. Cloth tape last a lot longer. Even if the bottom is worn thru it still stick tot he blade, unlike friction tape.

I don't tape the entire blade. I leave some room at the toe and the heel untaped. Since I use composite sticks I'm not worried about the laminate on my blade wearing out like when I used wood sticks or blades. I went to white tape so I can see where the puck is on my blade easier.

Last edited:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Headcoach said:
Well, the wax adds a coating to the tape the keep the water from soaking into the tape.

You see, tape has a certain type of gum (Glue) that helps the tape stick to the Stick. Water is the worlds best cleaner. The water, if it gets into the tape, will emulsify (break down) the gum in the tape and the tape falls off.
Head coach
Havn't seen a problem with the tape actually falling off the blade or even getting loose but I see what you are saying and how it could happen it does get soggy some times and deffinetly would add a bit of weight I also notice the laminate on my wood blades warping or bubbling and the bottom of the blade almost rotting some times and i notice the bottom of the blade is where I always have problems for instance a crack will start at the bottom going diagonal towards the heel... But this problem should be solved now that I have the Synergy and the composite blade should not soak up water (at all?) anyway good tips Head Coach thank you

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I put a strip along the bottom, then tape over it from toe to heel. Gives it another layer to protect the bottom of the blade, without adding any real weight. I tried wax, but hated it. Didn't do anything. I use baby powder, though, to keep the tape from getting as wet. Picked that up from Gretzky and Doug Gilmour, who both used baby powder. Works pretty well. I get about 2-3 skates out of a tape job.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
For me, it depends on the type of stick. If it is a composite stick, I use more tape. It makes me "think" that the puck will not bounce off of it as much. I tape the heel, leave a blank spot, then tape a 2 to 3 inch stripe in the middle.

On a two piece or wood, I use a 2 to 3 inch stripe in the middle of the blade.

As for wax, it definately saves you from taping your blade every game. You can use any wax as well, a used up house candle will do.

Putting a stripe along the bottom makes it a tiny bit harder to get it upstairs when you are in tight with a goalie in the heat of the action.

p.s. if you can play a full game without nicking up your tape.... dude! Get involved! :)

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
i tape between 10% and 60% of the blade with singular rings of white and black
and a strip just below the heel. It's very neat but it doesn't work well when I slapshot
it just goes everywhere. It confuses people that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad