Stick Length

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Without skates, how long do you like your stick? I've always cut about up to my nose but lately I've taken a good 8 inches off. My stick handling is much better and, although it took some adjustments, my shot is about as good as with the longer length.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd say medium. Not too long, not too short. A bit under my chin on skates.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I like the top of my stick to touch the bottom of my nose. Have always stuck with that measurement, even in ball hockey. My puck handling is actually better with a stick of this length than when I've experimented using something smaller. I'm only 5'8 so maybe that factors in.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
To my upper lip on skates. Not sure how that works off of skates. Used to play with a much shorter stick, below my chin off of skates but I was bending too much at the waist and it hurt my form, so I switched to the longer stick and my skating is better and my back doesn't hurt as much as it used to.

Seldanne

Sep 30, 2006
I like the top of my stick to touch the bottom of my nose. Have always stuck with that measurement, even in ball hockey. My puck handling is actually better with a stick of this length than when I've experimented using something smaller. I'm only 5'8 so maybe that factors in.

That's without skates I'm assuming? :) Just making sure... I'm too fighting with what's the right length for myself, trying to get ideas. I'm 6'3... forward...

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
You should all consider trying the shorter stick for a couple of games or so. The stickhandling is so much easier with your top hand closer to the front of your gut than on the side. It takes a little getting use to but it works.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
My stick is probobly way too short, but it makes it much easier to handle the puck. I cut about 7 inches off my sticks, but am trying to work my way back up a bit. Right now, they come up to the middle of my shoulders.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
To my chin cause I like to play a two way game. But i have to agree that stick handling with a shorter stick feels easier. And it comes in closer to your body so its easier to protect.

It's all preference. Just keep in mind that once you cut it, you're adding onto the flex of the stick with every little bit you cut off. I forgot the ratio but its alot stiffer per inch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad